• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The worst part about the USPS is that they are accountable to no one. If Brown or FedEx effs up, you have legal options. When USPS effs up, you are just screwed.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Purchase the correct services when you ship.

Most of my deliveries are via UPS, next USPS and then FedEX. I believe the problem is often the person shipping the firearm not willing to spend money on insurance and adult signature required. Conformation only means the package was left at someones front door. I've had two thousand dollar guns left on my front door and the mailman or UPS driver did not even ring the doorbell.

Most FFL's do it right if they have the money to purchase the correct services; I find that some individuals shipping a gun to a FFL take the shipping money from the buyer and does not use it as intended. Knock on wood I have not lost a gun yet and being home most of the time I usually meet the delivery guy at the door when I get notice to expect a delivery, it is the surprise deliveries that are dangerous.

If the sender does not pay for signature required shipping you can't hold the post office or UPS accountable. I urge every buyer to do the following:

A) Insist that the seller pays for adult signature required.
    B) Insist that the seller pays for full insurance coverage.
    C) Insist that the sender gives tracking information to you and the person receiving the firearm.

Like any business you have good and bad employees. I've had great mailmen and UPS drivers and real losers. You have to be proactive and make sure you cover your bases so if you do have a problem you have a decent chance of being covered.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I ship on average 50-100 packages a week through USPS. I have lost exactly one package in 3 years and this one was later found at the PO of the person it was shipped to.
    I use delivery confirmation only on 99% of my packages, the other 1% is over seas and they get insurance instead of delivery confirmation.
    I receive all of my orders from one company via USPS, never had an issue. UPS & Fed Ex deliver from all of my other distributors, rarely have issues there either.
    My humble opinion is it is like any other profession, one bad apple makes everyone look bad.

MoTown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    West Lafayette
    Wow sounds familiar. It wasn't a firearm, but I am currently dealing with a similar situation. I ordered a part for my car a couple weeks ago and never received it. I went to track it and it said it was delivered on the 4th! Called the post office, got the run around, and all they could say is to try and get the seller to send another part. In other words, I'm out 300 bucks. End of story. Sorry about your situation.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Yeah, I've had things that were sent "signature required" dropped off.

Heck, UPS left a $1000+ guitar in my driveway. Came home well after midnight and there it was.

MoTown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    West Lafayette
    Yeah, I've had things that were sent "signature required" dropped off.

Heck, UPS left a $1000+ guitar in my driveway. Came home well after midnight and there it was.
    Fortunately for you, your neighbors must not suck. I just installed a budget surveillance system today to prevent any more of my packages from getting stolen (but primarily to find out who stole the others). Not only that, but my grill was taken out of my backyard over the weekend. Such a wonderful 'Welcome to the neighborhood' it was. :xmad:

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    With USPS, insurance for less than $200 does not require a signature, over $200 does.
    To the best of my knowledge, firearms can only be shipped via Registered mail. This is the safest option available as every person who handles that package signs for it. Even the truck drivers who transport it over the road.

If a signature is not obtained by the delivering employee, the Postal Service would be liable for the package. It isn't difficult to validate the value of most firearms.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    FYI on USPS Products:

1st class mail just means that USPS will deliver item to said address. No tracking, no confirmation of delivery, no signature, etc.

Delivery Confirmation means that their will be a record with the USPS for up to 2 years (electronically) that the item you sent was delivered to an address on the delivery confirmation form. This is tracked via a delivery confirmation number. You can go online to USPS to get a print-out of the confirmation of delivery. Note that just because the USPS record said it was delivered to said address it may or may not be the case. It was "delivered" to an address which 99% of the time is the address on the form and the one you addresses the item to.

Signature Confirmation means that their will be a record with the USPS for up to 2 years (electronically) that the item you sent was delivered to the address on the form and that someone at that address signed for it. This is tracked via the signature confirmation nmber. You can go online to USPS to get a print-out of the confiration of delivery and the signature of who signed for it.

Certified Mail is the same as delivery confirmation but the USPS will mail you a letter saying that the item was delivered to said address on xyz date.

Return Receipt means you will get a green card in which the person who got the package will have signed for it along with the date and time it was given to that person. Note that in some cases (aka IRS, SSA, big company) the item is delivered to the mailroom which just STAMPED the green card as recieved by company/agency but the item may or may not get to the person on the package. A STAMPED "signature" is OK by the USPS on the form.

Insurance can be added to any of these services and Priority Mail for up to $5,000 if USPS losses or damaged the item. As per prior posters they determine the value of your item and how much you are going to get. (Good luck!)

Registered Mail is like certified mail but with insurance built-in for up to $25K. Same disclaimer for the insurance and certified mail apply.

Restricted Delivery means that only the person(s) that you put on the form can sign & get the item. So the USPS mail carrier needs to see proof of ID before they will release the item. In most cases they leave a card saying you have an item at the local post office. Note that you (the sender) do not get any proof that the "reciever" got this item. So you must use this inconjunction with signture confirmation or return receipt if you want the proof.

Best methods to use my own :twocents:
    1) Return Receipt +
    2) Signature Confirmation +
    3) Restricted Delivery

Yes 1 & 2 is redunant but #1 is not electronically and the USPS can lose that little green card, thus #2 would give you the electronic option as well incase #1 is lost. #3 ensures that ONLY the person you want the item to get actually gets it since they have to show proof of ID.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom