• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I get it, she was asking to be ridiculed because she was a young stupid kid.

You can't believe how badly the last part wounds me.

Wound you? Nah, you have thicker skin than most. I always have a smile when you respond to my posts. It like you're my own personal marionette.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is not sinking to any level. It's pointing out the absolute and utter lack of social decorum exhibited by the girls, and by extension, their parents

+1

I can remember the adults at different places in my youth pointing out places where I needed attitude adjustments, or just something simple like "tuck your shirt in boy, you're looking sloppy". "It is not respectful to make frowning faces around your elders". "Don't be disrespectful to the principle who is about to paddle your backside". All helpful information. I appreciate anything that helped form me into a better adult. Of course we did not tweet, twerk, or facbook in those days. And Text was the verbage in our classroom books.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    +1 I can remember the adults at different places in my youth pointing out places where I needed attitude adjustments, or just something simple like "tuck your shirt in boy, you're looking sloppy". "It is not respectful to make frowning faces around your elders" I appreciate anything that helped form me into a better adult. Of course we did not tweet, twerk, or facbook in those days. And Text was the verbage in our classroom books.

Let me ask you a question. If you had a 14 year old daughter sitting next to you, and a stranger walked up to you and told her she lacked class, and looked like she was going to a bar, would you take offense?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Let me ask you a question. If you had a 14 year old daughter sitting next to you, and a stranger walked up to you and told her she lacked class, and looked like she was going to a bar, would you take offense?

Sure, would I demand they lose their job? No.

I'm offended :runaway:

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem

First - I would consider the situation - was my 14 year old honestly dressed out of line? Odds are, if it was my kid she wouldn't be. But the relative truth or falsity of the situation is relevant.
    Second - I would consider the standing of the person making the accusation. Relative? Teacher? Poilitcal Enemy of mine? The closer they are to the family - the more likely I am to take their comment seriously.

Based on the above two answers (and possibly the person's reaction) - I might shrug it off , I might suggest that they go perform an aerial copulation with a rolling annular pastry (thanks BoR for that reference), or I might slap the daylights out of them. I doubt highly that I would call for them to lose their job.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have a 15 year old daughter and I would be either confused, angry or both....mainly because there would be no rational basis for such a statement in the case of my daughter.

I highly doubt I would ask for the person's proverbial head on a platter.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    There is too much firing and forced resignations for pissing people off. Political correctness is a huge disease these days. If you don't like what someone is saying, respond with your own opinion, or ignore it, or stop buying the paper or listening to their programs. People should accept consequences for what they say, yes. But either we have free speech or we don't. I don't agree with bashing teenage kids. Don't see anything wrong with their choice of clothing, probably much nicer than most kids are dressing these days. After all, they can't help it if their father is the epitome of all things that are wrong with the country. But firing or forcing resignation for it, don't agree with that either.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    First - I would consider the situation - was my 14 year old honestly dressed out of line? Odds are, if it was my kid she wouldn't be. But the relative truth or falsity of the situation is relevant.
    Second - I would consider the standing of the person making the accusation. Relative? Teacher? Poilitcal Enemy of mine? The closer they are to the family - the more likely I am to take their comment seriously.

Based on the above two answers (and possibly the person's reaction) - I might shrug it off , I might suggest that they go perform an aerial copulation with a rolling annular pastry (thanks BoR for that reference), or I might slap the daylights out of them. I doubt highly that I would call for them to lose their job.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have a 15 year old daughter and I would be either confused, angry or both....mainly because there would be no rational basis for such a statement in the case of my daughter.

I highly doubt I would ask for the person's proverbial head on a platter.

Noting that rational and appropriateness varies from person to person. Would your views be changed if it were a police officer who made the statement? I come from an insanely conservative family from an insanely conservative part of the nation. When I was in college and got my ears pierced, my grandfather told me that I would probably be wearing pantyhose next (which, thankfully, did not happen). If I applied the standards of my parents to the majority of girls of that age I see today, there's not many that would get a pass. What makes your standard more valid than anyone else's? I say mind your own business, especially concerning children.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I think it's clear that despite what anyone thinks, right, wrong, classy, or not, nobody is off limits when it comes to politics.

I'm sure that there have been many good people on both sides who've decided not to run for office for just that reason. I've heard that's why Mitch Daniels decided not to run for president.

I'm sure every child of a president has either a very thick skin, or a very high therapy bill before it's all said and done.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Noting that rational and appropriateness varies from person to person. Would your views be changed if it were a police officer who made the statement? I come from an insanely conservative family from an insanely conservative part of the nation. When I was in college and got my ears pierced, my grandfather told me that I would probably be wearing pantyhose next (which, thankfully, did not happen). If I applied the standards of my parents to the majority of girls of that age I see today, there's not many that would get a pass. What makes your standard more valid than anyone else's? I say mind your own business, especially concerning children.

If a person (of ANY occupation) were acting in their official capacity - my reaction would be based on that capacity. If they were not, then it would not.

For example - if the person making the comment were a teacher... it would depend on what the school rules were. If they were just being prudish and being a jerk - they would likely get told so. Ditto cop, or anyone else. The closer it was to their business - the less I'd worry. And indeed might even thank them for their concern. (That's why it matters if they are correct in their assessment as well).

If my daughter started to leave the house dressed inappropriately - she heard about it. (She's now 19) Ditto for my sons. The younger ones still do hear about it. But that is because I have responsibility for them. There are some kids that I have responsibility for at church. Will I give them the same crap that I would my own kids? Probably not. But I have been known to crack a joke or two that would let the kid in question know what I thought... all the while still showing them that I was still their friend.

So is Obama's kid any of my concern? Not terribly. Although , like any person on the street, it might warrant a "holy crap did you see that?" or something, if it was extreme (think Miley Cyrus or some similar stupidity). Does a political enemy really have any business saying stuff? not really. Should they be fired for it, especially in the name of political correctness? probably not. Should people look at them as overblown mouthy idiots (especially if they are being dirtbags about it) probably.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    There is too much firing and forced resignations for pissing people off. Political correctness is a huge disease these days. If you don't like what someone is saying, respond with your own opinion, or ignore it, or stop buying the paper or listening to their programs. People should accept consequences for what they say, yes. But either we have free speech or we don't. I don't agree with bashing teenage kids. Don't see anything wrong with their choice of clothing, probably much nicer than most kids are dressing these days. After all, they can't help it if their father is the epitome of all things that are wrong with the country. But firing or forcing resignation for it, don't agree with that either.

You nailed it. I've been reading this thread and you saved me a bunch of typing.

moosebag

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I dont' have daughters, but if I did they'd be covering a little more skin at an official event. They would also be schooled a little on posture and "making nice" since it's the most powerful office in the world and they are representing the US first family. Is it worth trashing them on social media - hell no. It's not their fault. They're doing what teens do with no guidance. The blame belongs elsewhere - someone's dropping the PR ball. Mom first, then whomever is responsible for the first family appearance.

What this says is Americans don't care how they look in public and don't know how to dress for formal events. That's probably fair, sadly.

Seems to me I remember the same kind of flack over Chels Clinton.

You got that right, I see teenagers running around Wal-Mart all the time in their pajamas, how distasteful.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    People need to learn to engage brain before engaging mouth. In any case once the mouth has been engaged, don't backpedal because someone got their panties wadded over it; stand up and defend it right or wrong. You birthed it, now own up to it!! Just stop backing down because someone got disjointed over it. A high school chemistry teacher taught me a valuable lesson many moons ago, he told us one day "kids, it's a cold world out there, be sure and bring a coat"!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    All well and good, but it doesn't take a genius to predict the response from the media. I say leave the kids alone UNLESS the media puts them on the air to promote their parents political agenda.
    :ugh: I forgot all comments and opinions had to be run through the filter of media acceptability before airing them. Thanks for reminding me.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    You got that right, I see teenagers running around Wal-Mart all the time in their pajamas, how distasteful.

Which part is distasteful? Teenagers being allowed to roam free at a Wal-Mart or wearing pajamas while doing so?

I prefer teenagers be locked in a basement until they are 25, but that's just me.:dunno:

Top Bottom