• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There are many things we do out of compassion. The various government programs, I believe, were mostly done out of compassion so that little old ladies didn't freeze to death in their homes and that little kids don't starve to death because their parents can't afford rent and food. But we're living with the unintended consequences of those good intentions. Throwing money at people through a undiscerning, un-caring, money skimming, government filter, I believe largely, is a curse.

Oh I totally agree with this of course.

It is the religious side track that is an interesting turn but the way it was brought into the discussion fits.
    I just hope it stays on track.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Actually, "work or die" isn't there at all. If you find a Christian sect that feels that it is written in the NT in that manner, runaway.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Until we adopt the biblical policy of if you don't work, you don't eat will we see much of a decline of this problem. As long as the welfare state is in place, this will continue.

Actually, "work or die" isn't there at all. If you find a Christian sect that feels that it is written in the NT in that manner, runaway.

Except that's not what I said. See above. God is the ultimate libertarian. He established the rules of the universe and of this earth. He gives us the choice of living by His rules and (until the welfare state came along) reap the consequences of your choices. But because we live in a fallen world, sometimes bad things happen to people that didn't deserve it. One group we are obligated to help and the other, hopefully, will come to see the folly of their decisions and make new and better choices to remove themselves from the circumstances in which they put themselves. It's a waste of time, money, and other resources to force help on them until they're ready to make the changes necessary.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Except that's not what I said. See above. God is the ultimate libertarian. He established the rules of the universe and of this earth. He gives us the choice of living by His rules and (until the welfare state came along) reap the consequences of your choices. But because we live in a fallen world, sometimes bad things happen to people that didn't deserve it. One group we are obligated to help and the other, hopefully, will come to see the folly of their decisions and make new and better choices to remove themselves from the circumstances in which they put themselves. It's a waste of time, money, and other resources to force help on them until they're ready to make the changes necessary.

Agreed on all points. God was into liberty before it was cool.

Apparently it still isn't among many. I still want to see a good argument for making what I am supposed to be doing as an individual a matter of public policy through confiscation.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Agreed on all points. God was into liberty before it was cool.

Apparently it still isn't among many. I still want to see a good argument for making what I am supposed to be doing as an individual a matter of public policy through confiscation.

You are arguing the rightness of the 16th Amendment while I am acknowledging infinity and the immortal soul.

I send you back to the citations I've enumerated above from the Bible.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    You are arguing the rightness of the 16th Amendment while I am acknowledging infinity and the immortal soul.

I send you back to the citations I've enumerated above from the Bible.

What's your point, Alpo? I've asked you two different ways, we'll call this a third.

Jesus wants his disciples to care for the poor. That is blatantly obvious. Next you're going to tell me it's dark outside in Indiana.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom