• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This was discussed a while back and I added my :twocents:, but I finally got around to configuring it and building the stand using some scrap wood. This is my sub 100m setup. I put this out on the sidewalk and walked 100m away and I was still able to get a reasonable signal even with the pollution of neighboring wifi. It should work better at a remote range where there arent lots of houses. Beyond that you will need to add a point to point bridge to connect the camera to the airgateway at the bench. I'll address that setup later. This setup is about $150 in parts. The long range version probably an additional $150. Any 12v battery would work for this setup.

Parts list:
    Ubiquiti Aircam Gen1 camera running firmware 1.2* (ebay)
    Ubiquiti Airgateway LR
    lead acid battery
    custom power injector (I can provide the wiring diagram on request)
    misc wood and hardware.
    Ipad/android tablet/laptop with a RTSP viewer. (Real Ttime Streaming Protocol)
    2 CAT5e Network cables
    F-F ethernet coupler

*this is critical. Subsequent firmwares removed RTSP functionality. (UBNT support was kind enough to send me the old firmware today. I've archived it so if you need a copy to downgrade your ebay'd camera, let me know.)

stand.JPG

The camera base is mounted to a piece of scrap wood. That allows me to temporarily tape the camera at the appropriate level on the mast depending on the target height.

Targetview%20-%20small.jpg

construction detail:

basedetail.JPG

What you cant see is a Tee Nut on the bottom support with a bolt running through the top support under the vertical post. (screw head is countersunk) . I added blue loctite and tightened it appropriately in hopes it would maintain appropriate tension.

My plan is to use this Sunday to sight in some rifles without squinting through my cheap spotting scope. I'll report back after the weekend with the results.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No, I just have to make sure my toys are put away. Otherwise she nags and rolls her eyes at the same time. :dunno:

Years ago my car stereo was acting intermittantly. So I removed it and worked on it on the kitchen table. Found a cold solder joint on one of the circuit cards so I touched it up. Holy **** hit the fan when my wife walked into the kitchen.

GASP! You're soldering HERE? In the KITCHEN? Where we EAT? :blahblah:

:facepalm: Sigh.

Anyway, keep us posted on how this works out.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Years ago my car stereo was acting intermittantly. So I removed it and worked on it on the kitchen table. Found a cold solder joint on one of the circuit cards so I touched it up. Holy **** hit the fan when my wife walked into the kitchen.

GASP! You're soldering HERE? In the KITCHEN? Where we EAT? :blahblah:

:facepalm: Sigh.

Anyway, keep us posted on how this works out.

Lmao. Years ago, my wife walked into the house to find me spray painting my skid plate on the kitchen floor...

Her: what are you doing?
    Me: painting my skid plate
    Her: why aren't you doing it in the garage?
    Me: it's too cold out there
    Her: oh, ok.

It was a bad idea, the overspray covered everything. My wife didn't complain and she even helped clean everything.

Top Bottom