• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    http://torrentfreak.com/watch-out-mafiaa-antibiotics-dont-work-on-viral-pirates-111023/

Excellent read. The free market, as opposed to mostly ineffectual and draconian laws and regulations, is the best way to defeat file sharing and virtual piracy.

File sharers have already implemented the next level of evasion for laws that haven't even gone active yet. It's like the race to crack encryption algorithms, by the time you get close the next program is out that is 10 times harder to break than the last one.

For those not interested in either, the creative steps virtual pirates take to disseminate the files is quite remarkable and helping to keep anonymity on the internet a real thing... necessity is the mother of all inventions after all.

I'd suggest reading the article, it's nice to see free market solutions and capitalism offered as opposed to more laws and regulations that don't work and cause the average person headaches and troubles.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    There will always be one group or another demanding the right to use antibiotics even though they do not work on viruses. There will also be unscrupulous people facilitating their demands. Would that we could change that...

And yes, I am talking about the same thing you are. :)

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I've talked about steam on here before. Great client to download games. The sell them at fair prices often with large sales and deals going on. Games are mine forever, no CDs to lose. If I reformat the computer, I can redownload them. Turned a "pirate" into a normal paying user for good. Some people pirate because they can and the pirating itself is a hobby. You'll never stop those people. But for the vast majority, if you offer products in a smart package and at smart pricing, you'll get rid of almost all of your issues. Amazon is moving the same direction with their music stored on the cloud and with Kindle books. You can share them, but with prices being reasonable, and .pdf converters for ebooks...why go through the trouble?

Pyroponce

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    South Bend
    :yesway: +1

I just want to do whatever I wish with the content that I pay for, preferably available for a reasonable price. I'm a hardcore Netflix user and, honest to goodness, I would pay more than twice as much as I do right now for streaming (currently 7.99/month) if the streaming catalog included every major studio with new releases available after a reasonable time frame (read: 30 to 60 days after release). What I can't stream to the comfort of my home...you get the idea. That's just the way it is. Give me a free market solution, please!

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    IDK, to me its still a matter of theft no matter what spin you put on it. You may not like the business model, but that doesn't make it right to steal the product. my :twocents:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    IDK, to me its still a matter of theft no matter what spin you put on it. You may not like the business model, but that doesn't make it right to steal the product. my :twocents:

I agree. Theft is theft and the owner of the product can put as many limitations on the use or distribution of his product as he wishes so long as you and he both agreed to the terms of purchase. That is the free market as well.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I agree. Theft is theft and the owner of the product can put as many limitations on the use or distribution of his product as he wishes so long as you and he both agreed to the terms of purchase. That is the free market as well.

But we both know there is a contingency here that believes the fruit of one's mental labor is not functionally equivalent to the fruit of one's physical labor. They also have a poor grasp of contract law.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I've talked about steam on here before. Great client to download games. The sell them at fair prices often with large sales and deals going on. Games are mine forever, no CDs to lose. If I reformat the computer, I can redownload them. Turned a "pirate" into a normal paying user for good. Some people pirate because they can and the pirating itself is a hobby. You'll never stop those people. But for the vast majority, if you offer products in a smart package and at smart pricing, you'll get rid of almost all of your issues. Amazon is moving the same direction with their music stored on the cloud and with Kindle books. You can share them, but with prices being reasonable, and .pdf converters for ebooks...why go through the trouble?
    I love steam as well. Great deals on games, especially around the holidays. Having them forever is great. Plus I can share games with my kids in Texas, by allowing them to use my account. We just can not use one account on two pcs at the same time. The boys each have their own account as well.

Top Bottom