• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a premiere 1187 that is chambered for 3". Any advice to choke tube and loads you use. Figured it might be better than going through 3 or 4 different ones. I was stupid and got rid of my turkey gun and need a new one. Any help is appreciated.

standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I shoot them with a Remington extra full turkey tube and Federal Gold Medal #4s.

Killing them reliably isn't so much a question of what tube you buy or loads you run, but knowing how your gun patterns. Obviously you don't want a combo that patterns poorly, but excessive refinement just earns you a little distance.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Here's where to buy your part

I shoot them with a Remington extra full turkey tube and Federal Gold Medal #4s.
    Killing them reliably isn't so much a question of what tube you buy or loads you run, but knowing how your gun patterns. Obviously you don't want a combo that patterns poorly, but excessive refinement just earns you a little distance.

Here is a link to the part:

REMINGTON : REM CHOKE, TURKEY, SUPER FULL, LEAD ONLY - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

TK

lildave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That's something you just have to experment with to see what your gun likes best. I have tried several in my Rem and mine patterns best with the Rem ventilator tube with Winchester Supreme #6. If you can find a friend that has Rem choke tubes ask them to let you try before you buy. My friend has a Rem and his is best with the Primos Jellyhead. Another friend uses a Truglo, and another the Rem superfull. Every gun is different and you just have to keep trying to see what yours like best.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I have a premiere 1187 that is chambered for 3". Any advice to choke tube and loads you use. Figured it might be better than going through 3 or 4 different ones. I was stupid and got rid of my turkey gun and need a new one. Any help is appreciated.

I've got the same gun and looking at new chokes too. I use the remington extra full turkey right now.

Only looking a little but these looked pretty reasonably priced. Haven't done a lot of comparing so don't flame me if there's better already in the thread.

www.ProTurkeyHunting.com: Shotgun Choke Tubes for Turkey Hunting

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    This would be something good to bring to the SKS shoot. Any one who turkey hunts bring their gun and choke tubes and a few shells. A steel plate and can of white paint will tell you about everthing you need to know before you buy.

picture.php

I checked I.D. size on my 12 gauge tubes a little while ago. All Remington factory tubes.

Super Full Trap .690
    Extra Full Trap .709
    Modified .711
    Improved Cyl .720
    Improved Skeet .722
    Full Trap .730

That full trap dimension doest make much sense to me but that's what it is. I'll be checking some brand new ones at a few stores tomorrow.

Last edited:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers

Full choke and #4's in 3". Dead bird.

I have never had to shoot past 30-35 yards, most were half that distance.

Jack has them on the damned porch, and hits them with a broom to save ammo.

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the input. I had a really nice mossberg 835, but was offered more than I had in it and sold it like a dummy. There is a guy in NY but I don't want to spend that kind of money. Last time I sent him one he made the choke tube, patterned it, and told me the best loads. I believe it was around 200, but maybe more now. I killed one with it at 60 yards.

Deer_Slayer_90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, we use a shell that is custom loaded called nitro shells, if you google them you can find them (not the remington load.) The company takes a special order and custom load what you want up to 4 or 5 shot sizes mixed into one shell and they are amazing!!! They suggest you use a jellyhead choke tube, it is an expensive set up but both my dad and I swear by them, he killed a bearded hen at 54 yards and I killed a 27 pound tom at about 10 yards, at 5 dollars a shot it adds up, but worth every cent!!!

Top Bottom