• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Our 3 year old refrigerator/freezer is on the fritz. I installed a new filter this afternoon and ran a couple gallons through it as recommended. A few minutes ago I noticed the water pump or valve was kicking on and off every couple of seconds. Thankfully I investigated and found the ice cube bin full of water before it overflowed. The freezer itself appears to be working properly, nothing was thawed out.

Any ideas?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Our 3 year old refrigerator/freezer is on the fritz. I installed a new filter this afternoon and ran a couple gallons through it as recommended. A few minutes ago I noticed the water pump or valve was kicking on and off every couple of seconds. Thankfully I investigated and found the ice cube bin full of water before it overflowed. The freezer itself appears to be working properly, nothing was thawed out.

Any ideas?
    Float switch sticking or jammed up? Not a guru by any means but I have installed a couple of not very fancy ones

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield

Any ideas?
    Don't know what brand you have, but our samsung french-door with bottom freezer will overfill the ice cube maker causing excess water to spill into the bin. After doing an extensive search, I deduced that the solenoid that controls the water fill for the icemaker is bad.

This might be your issue.

I haven't fixed ours just yet, because the access to the solenoid is inside the fridge... So everything has to come out to fix it.

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side

Any ideas?
    In case you haven’t already, check YouTube. I’ve diagnosed and repaired multiple appliances that way.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Hey @phylodog, I just thought of another appliance repair that might possibly help you (in the future).

I noticed in a picture you posted at one time, that you have the same range/oven as I do(mine is NG). After about 6 years, the oven was taking forever to heat up. The oven ignitor was going bad. I swapped the bottom one for the broiler one, and it works much better. I also found I don't need a samsung replacement, a Maytag part will work. Amazon Link The Maytag is WAY less in cost.

Replacement of the ignitor isn't that difficult, but you do have to remove a panel on the back of the range. Also, taking the oven door off makes it easier to work inside the oven. I swapped mine in under an hour.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Hey @phylodog, I just thought of another appliance repair that might possibly help you (in the future).

I noticed in a picture you posted at one time, that you have the same range/oven as I do(mine is NG). After about 6 years, the oven was taking forever to heat up. The oven ignitor was going bad. I swapped the bottom one for the broiler one, and it works much better. I also found I don't need a samsung replacement, a Maytag part will work. Amazon Link The Maytag is WAY less in cost.

Replacement of the ignitor isn't that difficult, but you do have to remove a panel on the back of the range. Also, taking the oven door off makes it easier to work inside the oven. I swapped mine in under an hour.
    Thanks!

I watched a couple of Youtube videos, one of which was naming low water pressure as a potential cause. Since I'd just installed a new filter I figured I'd better check that but all seemed fine. I probably left the ice maker shut off for an hour or so and when I turned it back on it was no longer leaking. I shut it off again for the night just in case and my wife turned it on this morning and it seems to be working properly again.

I did get a lot sputtering and air from the faucet after the new filter went on (which I would think to be normal), the ice maker must have kicked on while I was trying to run the first bit of water through the filter and got some air in the lines. Apparently some ice makers rely on water pressure alone to shut the valve off after it has filled the trays. If there isn't enough water pressure the valve can flutter causing an overflow.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Our icemaker no longer gets any water. Between us, we average one working frig ice cube maker.

Glass is always half full...just without any ice.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Our icemaker no longer gets any water. Between us, we average one working frig ice cube maker.

Glass is always half full...just without any ice.
    Unfortunately for me, ice is like oxygen. I am not a happy boy if I don't have a big tumbler full of ice cubes that I can top off several times a day regardless of the weather or time of year. If the grid went down in warm weather I would be an unhappy, unhappy guy.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks!

I watched a couple of Youtube videos, one of which was naming low water pressure as a potential cause. Since I'd just installed a new filter I figured I'd better check that but all seemed fine. I probably left the ice maker shut off for an hour or so and when I turned it back on it was no longer leaking. I shut it off again for the night just in case and my wife turned it on this morning and it seems to be working properly again.

I did get a lot sputtering and air from the faucet after the new filter went on (which I would think to be normal), the ice maker must have kicked on while I was trying to run the first bit of water through the filter and got some air in the lines. Apparently some ice makers rely on water pressure alone to shut the valve off after it has filled the trays. If there isn't enough water pressure the valve can flutter causing an overflow.
    I wonder if your new filter isnt bad? If its restricting flow it could reduce pressure and cause it. Maybe?

Or maybe some air trapped in the filter/line that acts like an air bubble in the brake lines, preventing enough pressure to build? :dunno:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I wonder if your new filter isnt bad? If its restricting flow it could reduce pressure and cause it. Maybe?

Or maybe some air trapped in the filter/line that acts like an air bubble in the brake lines, preventing enough pressure to build? :dunno:
    Your second thought is what I believe was the cause.

Top Bottom