• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buchhaas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2017
    Vermillion County
    I am retired Marine who was wounded in Afghanistan and suffered a significant back injury. Now I'm told i will be requiring back surgery. I know its about 4 vertebra that are the problem and I'm assuming that they will fuse them. Does anyone that has had this done know the round about recovery time for such an operation?

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I don't think anyone will be able to give you an accurate answer; there's just too many variables. That said, thank you for serving, and I wish you a speedy recovery!

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I am retired Marine who was wounded in Afghanistan and suffered a significant back injury. Now I'm told i will be requiring back surgery. I know its about 4 vertebra that are the problem and I'm assuming that they will fuse them. Does anyone that has had this done know the round about recovery time for such an operation?

I had 3 surgeries in 2015, 3rd one was a total fusion of the vertebrae in the neck. I wish you luck....In my personal case I still have a lot of pain at times, but it is better than it was pre-surgeries. But pain free, not hardly.

Last edited:

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Thank you for serving our country :thumbsup:
    There are many variables that will affect your outcome. Age and overall health.. Had spinal fusion and lower back surgery and not too manny issues that slow me down. What line of work are you now in?? I have a pretty physical job and I feel it some days.
    Best wishes

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Your recovery time is going to be totally on you, both in terms of how your body handles and recovers from the surgery and how you handle yourself during the recovery period in terms of going to PT, not doing too much too soon etc etc.

1milehigher

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2013
    Central Ind
    I got a second, third, and fourth opinion on my back surgery issue since 1981. Finally found a doctor that was able to treat my injury without surgery.

He's a DO instead of an MD. The DO's go thru the same training as an MD but have an additional 200+ hours of training on just the skeletal/muscular system. After 3 or 4 sessions of OMT (osteopathic manipulative therapy) and some acupuncture for localized pain (I won't take pain pills), I've been relatively pain free and NO SURGERY!

Best of luck, and thanks for your service to our country which will soon be great again!

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    First, THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!! I had a Spinal Fusion c 4 5 & 6. It didn't work but I'm worn out, Arthritis, Spinal Stenosis & Degenerative Disc Disease. It was like putting a Band-Aid on a Bullet Wound (covers it up, does not help) Everyone is different, as is their healing. Good Luck, I'll put you on my Prayer List!
    Chaplain Pat said all that!

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    I had a microdiscectomy L5-S1 when I was 25. Freak sporting accident that made my left leg numb and tingly from the waist down. 7 yrs later now and no real residual effects outside of a pinky toe that constantly feels "asleep". I consider myself lucky. Recovery wasn't too bad in my case, but make sure you allow yourself to heal properly. You only have one body to use and it's too easy to fight what your body needs after a traumatic event (surgery). Good luck and thanks for your service!

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    T4/5 fusion and rods here. Everyone heals differently. Just do what your docs and therapy says. Your body will probably let you know what it is ready for.

Was 27 at the time. And have never looked back. Wow, it's been a few years.

Top Bottom