• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nates98cbr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    I have virtually no experience with handguns, I have shot my dads 39 revolver once and thats been over 10 years ago. I have shot rifles and shotguns but none here recently. I was wanting to know any places that offered a course for basic handgun training and safety around indy, particularly the south side since Im in Shelbyville. I know Popguns is real close but havent had time to go in and talk to anyone. Also, do you need a permit or license to shoot in one of these classes?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I have virtually no experience with handguns, I have shot my dads 39 revolver once and thats been over 10 years ago. I have shot rifles and shotguns but none here recently. I was wanting to know any places that offered a course for basic handgun training and safety around indy, particularly the south side since Im in Shelbyville. I know Popguns is real close but havent had time to go in and talk to anyone.

I took their Basic NRA 10-hour handgun course, but when I checked their website, it looks like they no longer offer it. Instead they do a "online reading portion" and then you can choose to pay $50/hour for one-on-one instruction.

Contact Centerfire Firearm Training Academy

Also, do you need a permit or license to shoot in one of these classes?

Nope.

465guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2008
    There must be another option besides Pop Guns that offers some training.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    I grew up shooting and recevied quite a bit of formal training in the Marine Corps. :)

Don't they do some training out at Eagle Creek at the outdoor range?

Nates98cbr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    I took a Tactical Response - Fighting Pistol class that was held at the Eagle Creek range back in 2006. I can find out if they have other opportunities there.

http://www.tacticalresponse.com

That looks like a nice class, the Basic Fighting Handgun, there is no actual firing done, just an overview of everything you need to know, but it doesnt look like it's going to be around here anytime soon.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Situational awareness, CCW presentation, shooting while moving, shooting while on your back, shooting from an enclosed space, time/distance shooting (some mental pressure here) and threat threshold determination.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Nate, If enough people were interested I think it would be very possible to set this up around here even thought its not on the schedule.

That looks like a nice class, the Basic Fighting Handgun, there is no actual firing done, just an overview of everything you need to know, but it doesnt look like it's going to be around here anytime soon.

Thickburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Indianapolis
    you can usually go to Eagle Creek on any given weekend they are open and between the range officers and patrons there are several guns to check out. plus the range officers themselves are very competent with handgun proficiency and safety. no rental available but i'm sure if you ask nicely ppl there will allow you to try out what they have as long as you pay for their ammo..

Thickburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I took a Tactical Response - Fighting Pistol class that was held at the Eagle Creek range back in 2006. I can find out if they have other opportunities there.

http://www.tacticalresponse.com

when i took the class this last summer there was one individual who just bought a handgun that week and this was his introduction. though it was a crash-course, the class itself is based around mindset and not technique. the instructors claim they have several newbs that take the class but i think that it might be a bit intense for a novice.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I'm suggesting the "Basic Fighting Handgun" class Nate was talking about. Any class would be great but ya... I had some coaching before I took FP and I needed that.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    If you are willing to drive to Lebanon, you should find what you want.
    The Sheriff there, Ken Campbell, is an instructor at Gunsite in his "spare" time. He teaches some classes and hosts other trainers like Louis Awerbuck, Pat Rogers, etc.
    The classes are held at the Sheriff's Dept range, and are open to everyone (non-LEO/Mil).

A few times a year, he holds an "Introduction To Defensive Pistol" class that's a great starting class. When I took it, we had brand new shooters (actually taking their gear out of the box for the first time that weekend) to some pretty experienced shooters.
    Everybody learned, and I don't think anyone was bored. That's hard to do with that broad range of experience.

The class is held on a Sat/Sun and ran $150 (the last I knew). That's pretty cheap for the quality of training you get. Try to find a two-day class by an instructor from Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, etc for $150!

I think the next one is April 19-20.

His contact info is:
    KCampbell@boone.co.in.us
    (765) 483-3359

Top Bottom