• ...and so much more!
  • Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I know the Boone County Sheriff's department does an
    "Introduction to Defensive Pistol" ($150) course a few times a year.

They also host "www.gunsite.com" for both the [123] carbine class ($469) and the [150] Level Pistol Course. ($469)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    For a Basic Pistol class, there is always the NRA Basic Pistol Course and NRA FAST Start. It's a very good place to start to learn the fundamentals of safety, operation/shooting, types of actions, selecting a handgun, etc. It's not combat training or self-defense training.

I am an instructor. Where are you located?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    For a Basic Pistol class, there is always the NRA Basic Pistol Course and NRA FAST Start. It's a very good place to start to learn the fundamentals of safety, operation/shooting, types of actions, selecting a handgun, etc. It's not combat training or self-defense training.

Kludge, would you consider doing an NRA FAST start class for INGO members?
    What would the cost be?

indyninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    any shooting or is it class room only?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Kludge, would you consider doing an NRA FAST start class for INGO members?
    What would the cost be?

Certainly... when the weather improves. :) Be advised though that if you are not a beginner, FAST Start is probably not the class for you. But as a quick refresher, or to introduce a friend or spouse to shooting, it's a good thing. However I would recommend for those who might be a regular shooter, but haven't had any classroom learning.

If you take an advanced pistol class or a combat class, you're probably going to get a refresher from the instructor anyway. I just say that because I don't want anyone to be disappointed.

FAST Start takes about four hours, but only covers one specific model of handgun, and as such is less geared toward groups - especially if everyone has a different model of gun. It's great for new shooters who just got their first gun, or want to try shooting a handgun for the first time (and this is a good place to use .22's). If the class size is small then it's not a problem to go over a few different models.

Our range only has four lanes, and only two of them would be used for FAST Start, but if it's dry enough we could use the 100yd rifle backstop, and run four at a time, assuming I could talk a couple more instructors into being there.

any shooting or is it class room only?

Yes, both. Depending on the number of students, you could go through a box a ammo, but normally just working on the fundamentals and learning safety, it's not very likely. It's more of a class and less of a range session.

NRA Basic is more in depth, covers all types of handguns (or rifles if it's a rifle class) and runs about 10 hours... it's a really full day.

Now for the bad news...

I just got an email from the NRA and the program materials center is shut down indefinitely... I have exactly four FAST Start student packets and four for Basic Pistol. I already have semi-firm commitments from a handfull of friends/co-workers, but I don't know which class they will be taking.

I recently ordered a few more student packets for the Club, but they might not be available for me to use.

For a group, it might be May or June before I could schedule something. Even at our prices members are very annoyed if they show up and can't shoot. :)

Cost for FAST Start would probably run $50 or less, depending on a few factors.

Virtus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Fishers

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Eagle Creek has several NRA Instructors on staff. Contact them, I am sure they will help you. I know they will 'cause my son is one of the instructors/range officers and a member of this forum. Contact the range. If you can't make contact, send me a message and I will relay it to him. I know he and the rest of the staff would love to help anyone interested. They all took the instructor training on their own time and paid out of their pocket just so they could offer help to new shooters.

BravoOneFour

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 20, 2023
    kokomo
    I have virtually no experience with handguns, I have shot my dads 39 revolver once and thats been over 10 years ago. I have shot rifles and shotguns but none here recently. I was wanting to know any places that offered a course for basic handgun training and safety around indy, particularly the south side since Im in Shelbyville. I know Popguns is real close but havent had time to go in and talk to anyone. Also, do you need a permit or license to shoot in one of these classes?
    MALC training

Top Bottom