Any correctional officers here? Do you like what you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Do you like your job as a correctional officer? Do you forsee yourself doing it until you retire? Any words of advice or wisdom for someone who may be entering this field? Any pros and cons to the job that I may have overlooked or not been told about?

I'm considering a change of career. I've been working in IT for a number of years with a focus on web facing stuff, have worked for myself under my own company and have worked for others from everything from an administrative assistant to low level grunt answering support tickets and customer service issues for web hosting companies. The market is too volatile. I sold my company years ago. I was #2 in command for another smaller one that did very well but the owner sold it off and I declined employment with the new company so as to not have to relocate to Houston. Two years ago I took employment with a very large and well known web hosting company that has been in business for almost 20 years (long time for a web-hosting company) and they recently just laid off about 30% of it's staff including some management and myself. I've been working from home and behind a desk for the last 5 years or so for different companies and for myself and it's time for a change. I want something I can do and do for years.

I've got friends and family who work in corrections and have an interview lined up later this week for a correctional officer position at minimum security female prison (Adult side). I do look forward to the idea of a 'proper' job outside of the house and one that will require me to be on my feet and hopefully something that I can continue onward to create a career out of. The IT stuff I can still do on the side and in my free time as it's a genuine passion and hobby and I still derive a liveable income from a site I own that is geared towards that industry but I need a change of pace.

I have a friend who has worked at the facility I have applied to for going on 5 years now I think, and he enjoys it. I also have a family member (sister) who has been there for longer than that I believe and she also enjoys it. Only real complaints I have heard is unexpected and forced overtime and double shifts but seeing as a I am single dude who lives alone with no family I don't mind. Unlike them I don't have to struggle to find a last minute baby sitter or call home to let the significant other know that I won't be there for dinner. When I think "overtime" I just think "extra money" so I don't care about that. :)

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    My little brother was a correctional officer for Westville for 7 years. He loved it. They even let him and his family live on the prison grounds in one of those little homes they have there. Gotta stay on your toes. Keep your nose straight and don't be a jerk. All which my little brother could not keep from doing. Good luck with your new gig. Just do your best.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I am a lieutenant after 7 years in IDOC. 5 as an officer, 2 as a segeant, and coming up on one year as a Lieutenant. I honestly love my job. You never know what is going to happen on any given shift and that is kind of the draw of it for me. I got into it with the ultimate goal of graduating from IU then going onto a police job. Now I've got my degree, and I'm kind of thinking about continuing to promote through the ranks, or getting into an office job downtown in central office. I have been extremely successful in my career and have achieved a lot which is rewarding. I received a meritorious service award from governor Daniels, and this year I was selected as an attendee of the commissioners Experienced and Emerging Leaders academy. If you have the drive to succeed it can be very rewarding.

As far as the job, well I can honestly say its the easiest and least stressful job I've ever had. It has its days bit overall it is very easy. If you know how to treat people, and you understand that regardless of their charges they are still people it isn't hard to carry yourself in a professional manner and you should have few if any problems. The people who have problems with offenders are usually people who all the other staff expect to have trouble. The best practice I have found is to not know or try to find out why people are there. You are bound to impart some bias into the way you do your job if you concern yourself with what everyone is in for. The department words it as "firm, fair, and consistent" which works out very well. In 8 years I've had to go hands on to hell staff 1 time...that's it. Typically violence is inmate on inmate and quite frankly, they can kick the crap out of each other...I'm not risking the safety of myself or any of my officers until I have my team in the scene and at that point the numbers are heavily in my favor.

Staffing always sucks so expect to have a 100:1 inmate to staff ratio in most housing units. It's definitely not for the faint of heart but once you see that they treat you like a person as long as you do the same it isn't bad. I know there's a lot I'm not saying that I could. I apologize if this reads like crap I'm typing it one handed on a phone while feeding a baby. I'm not about to edit or proofread. If you have more questions feel free to ask here or PM me if you'd rather do that.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I've dealt with ex con Latinos years ago while doing security work. Treat them as humans and you should have no trouble.
    Having said that I would never work corrections.

cromus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    What's the application process like for this type of field? How is it different than working as an officer for IMPD. Sorry for the newbish questions.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    What's the application process like for this type of field? How is it different than working as an officer for IMPD. Sorry for the newbish questions.

Unfortunately the application process is pretty lenient. I sometimes wish they were more selective and/or had a physical agility test. There are a lot of people who I feel don't have the mental maturity or the right attitude to handle the levels of discretion we are given at times.

Short answer is just apply and interview, that's basically it to get hired and then you must complete an 8 week preservice academy. There are physical agility standards to be on special teams though.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I worked at IYC in Plainfield for a short period of time (< 6 months). Personally I hated it. Dealing with the offenders wasn't the problem, it was my fellow CO's, and especially my sergeant, and a number of silly rules that were being imposed in the particular cell block I worked in. The hours were great (6a-6p, every other weekend was a 3 day weekend), the pay was marginal, but I just couldn't deal with it. It's not for everyone.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    I interviewed yesterday and returned today for job shadowing. The staff were nice and all seemed happy. I really love the animal program they have there. Cats are roaming the halls and the grounds outside and there is a dog dorm that kennels dogs. The offenders walk them and groom them, and those who stay in the dog dorms can also keep the dogs with them it seems. (Went through when they were doing counts and some had dogs laying in bed with them) Gives them something to take care of and is therapeutic. Most the animals are rescues that would have otherwise been put down so it's a great program.

Very nice grounds. Very well kept. Community garden, sports section, dog park area, and a lot of free space and trees for shade. It seriously looks like a college campus except there is tall barbed wire fence surrounding the the property.

The shadow program today was nice. I really hope I get the call back.

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    If you like having **** and **** thrown on you, medical staff saying its not their job to get you cleaned up from a bio exposure, having you captain scream at you and ask you why an inmate threw **** and **** on you, go for it...
    It's had its ups and downs. Right now, it's in the downs. Nobody wants to stay with the prison in an upturning economy. If you have a mcdonalds nearby, it will feel like a carribean vacation working there, compared to taking orders from inmates. Lots to consider. If you are in the market for a new job, they all suck. This one has inmate attacks and bio hazard exposure there. And, since the state has right to work, all you hear your supervisor saying is, This is an at will state and you can be fired for any reason...

cromus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    How long have you worked as a corrections office MickeyBlueEyes? Interesting information you've provided. Thank you for the insight.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    If you like having **** and **** thrown on you, medical staff saying its not their job to get you cleaned up from a bio exposure, having you captain scream at you and ask you why an inmate threw **** and **** on you, go for it...
    It's had its ups and downs. Right now, it's in the downs. Nobody wants to stay with the prison in an upturning economy. If you have a mcdonalds nearby, it will feel like a carribean vacation working there, compared to taking orders from inmates. Lots to consider. If you are in the market for a new job, they all suck. This one has inmate attacks and bio hazard exposure there. And, since the state has right to work, all you hear your supervisor saying is, This is an at will state and you can be fired for any reason...

The one I am applying for is a minimum security female prison, adult side. I know people who have worked there for 4 or 5 years, as far as I know, none of what you said has occurred there. There was some story a year or so ago about a girl who 'slipped and fell' and was literally impaled by a bathroom plunger through her stomach I think... but from what I understand most offenders, at least on the adult side, are generally well behaved and riding out the last parts of their sentences there. Was told it was similar to baby sitting adults. Making sure they're where they're supposed to be and accounted for while avoiding manipulation.

Most the violent offenders are on the juvenile side and from what I understand over there it can be more hectic.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Keep your head straight Lebowski, had several friends up there get canned for " extra curricular activities" at the women's faculty. Lol

I'm afraid to even ask what that means...

I've taken any job I've ever had serious, I've done it by the book in past jobs and if I get the call saying I'm hired will do it by the book there. All the staff seemed genuinely happy with their work, at least the half dozen or so I interacted with, and aside from forced overtime no one had anything bad to say. All had been there multiple years and seemed to like it well enough.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I'm afraid to even ask what that means...

I've taken any job I've ever had serious, I've done it by the book in past jobs and if I get the call saying I'm hired will do it by the book there. All the staff seemed genuinely happy with their work, at least the half dozen or so I interacted with, and aside from forced overtime no one had anything bad to say. All had been there multiple years and seemed to like it well enough.
    Watch Orange is the new Black on Netflix if you'd like to know what not to do as a guard.:):

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you are 36 or under go Federal Bureau of Prisons. You are on the FED LE pay scale and retirement so they will start you out with a LOT more money and better retirement, And you have a lot more chances for earnings and promotions and movement around the country. BOP has several IT/Computer type positions, and weather an IT guy, Case Manager, Electrician or Officer you all work around inmates and you would be covered by LEOSA and getting in BOP is a gateway, it stops the clock and several folks have use dit to get in the door and go Secret Service, DEA, Marshal etc etc etc.

Top Bottom