• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Following the recall, I'm seeing these pop up again on shelves and am looking at an Alpha. Anyone here with some trigger time behind any of the four model variants? Any pros, cons, and/or general firsthand experience you care to share?

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Buddy of mine has an alpha in 308. Exactly the one I have been wanting. He has nothing but good to say about it. He specifically complimented the trigger and how easy it is to adjust. He's a flipper, though. I figure I have about 4-6 months before he's ready to sell it. I'd already have one of the trails if they offered in 300 blk or 6.5 grendel. They missed the mark on the caliber offerings there imo.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I just ordered an Alpha in 7.62x39mm. I have no business doing so. i have a 527 youth carbine sitting unfired in the safe but the alpha looks like it will be a really nice field rifle. Liking the 5/8x24 threaded barrel as well. Under $500 through grab a gun (missed the $399 after rebate of 2023).

BTW if you google CZ Alpha vs Trail there is an EXCELLENT write up on a Ruger forum.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Picked it up today and unboxed. First impression was "is this a CZ? As some reviews state, at first it feels kind of cheap. This is probably due to the weight which is 6.6 lbs per the specs. Oddly this is heavier than the 527 Youth Carbine at 5.87 lbs but it feel lighter. The magazine is different as well - a plastic affair with the locking notch a shallow square on the front. I assume the piece which locks into this notch is metal, I did not check but will later. It takes a little pressure to lock in the mag, like there is a bit of a gasket. I wonder how durable this is and will probably do most reloading from the open action. You can reload the mag that way.

I ordered a Diamondback 1.756-5x32mm with medium rings from AA Optics. I wanted to replicate the Burris 2-7x35mm I have on my 527 carbine but that model is discontinued. I plan to take both to the range to compare. It will sadly be a while as my May-June is very busy work wise. But I think it will make a good match up.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Picked it up today and unboxed. First impression was "is this a CZ? As some reviews state, at first it feels kind of cheap. This is probably due to the weight which is 6.6 lbs per the specs. Oddly this is heavier than the 527 Youth Carbine at 5.87 lbs but it feel lighter. The magazine is different as well - a plastic affair with the locking notch a shallow square on the front. I assume the piece which locks into this notch is metal, I did not check but will later. It takes a little pressure to lock in the mag, like there is a bit of a gasket. I wonder how durable this is and will probably do most reloading from the open action. You can reload the mag that way.

I ordered a Diamondback 1.756-5x32mm with medium rings from AA Optics. I wanted to replicate the Burris 2-7x35mm I have on my 527 carbine but that model is discontinued. I plan to take both to the range to compare. It will sadly be a while as my May-June is very busy work wise. But I think it will make a good match up.
    You say it feels lighter but is heavier.
    Maybe it has better balance?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    You say it feels lighter but is heavier.
    Maybe it has better balance?
    Maybe. The 600's poly stock is light and the heavier contour barrel certainly shifts the weight. I want to double check the weights of both. Also, I don't want to give the impression I am not happy with the 600. If it shoots well the lighter weight will be an asset. The trigger is single stage, not two stage as on the 527, but it is very crisp and light. It is adjustable via an external four position screw and comes from the factory set at #2.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    My father in law has one in 224 Valkyrie. He likes it. I haven’t shot it yet. I was looking at one in 243 with a wood stock. Not sure I can love the safety setup.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    As a lefty long gun shooter I like the tang position of the safety. It can be disengaged with the thumb when in a shooting position. But yeah, very different.

Top Bottom