Any experience with Charter Arms Off-Duty?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    My mother picked up one of these yesterday. We've both shot it, and she really likes it. It seems very solidly built, and although it's an older model, it looks nearly unfired. I would guess that it's been sitting in somebodies night stand for the past 30 years.

She was able to knock down the splinter of wood, (maybe an inch across,) we were using for a target stand with a single shot at 10 yards when I asked her too, so I know it's plenty accurate, at least in her hands. And it beats the crap out of her .380 for stopping power, so I'm glad that she has upgraded to it as her carry gun.

Here is a picture of one; this isn't hers, but her's is identical to this one.

P4050098.jpg

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I have owned a couple of small Charter Arms .38 caliber revolvers and have found them to be sufficiently accurate and reliable.I would caution however, that I do not believe that they were designed for hyper velocity +P type ammo.I have seen several small .38 revolvers,especially lightweight Taurus,Rossi,Charter Arms,that seemed to have been damaged,probably in this way.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have an an older Charter Arms Bull Pug in .44 Special that I pocket carry. I love it. I'd certainly pick up any other Bull Dog or Pug I ran across, too. Small and effective.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If it is an OLD one it is a quality piece.

Some of the other later owners were less concerned about the quality. Some charter 2000 revolvers were loose before being shot. That being said the undercover is meant to be a carry piece. shot a little carried alot.

I think charter arms has been purchased/restarted about 6 times since 1986.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have an old "undercover" .38. They are a lot like an offduty. Not made for plus p ammo. Dependable and accurate. Fit and finish are simply utilitarian. I trust it and carry it often.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The old adage, "They don't make 'em like that anymore!" applies. I've had three of the older models. I still own one. I think the older ones are the best small revolver for the money, bar none. I gave my stainless model to my oldest daughter around 20 years ago and it is still her "go to" gun for personal defense. For practice, I suggest .38 SPL wadcutters loaded to target specs. Shoot the five hot hollow points, every few months, when you want to replace the old ones in the cylinder with fresh cartridges. If you do that, the CA will last several lifetimes.

Last edited:

usafmora

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    North Vernon
    My uncle left one to me when he passed away, it was his offduty weapon he carried it eveywhere. My aunt wanted it back so I gave in, big missatake. I loved that thing, it made a great tackel box gun. Fun to shoot plus still can get shells for it.

Top Bottom