Any experience with Vortex Optics 6-24 x50mm Viper PST Riflescope EBR-1 MOA?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I am seriously considering this scope for my Barrett. Anyone out there have any experience with it? Also looking for the right dealer (AKA: right price) to purchase from so your experience in that area would be appreciated. And I don't want the MIL reticle and am 99% set on the MOA.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    The right dealer is AAoptics here on ingo. He is also the man you should ask any and all questions about vortex scopes too. He is the man when it comes to scopes and what will best suit a person.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I have that scope in the 4-16x version. Very nice scope. In my opinion, you'd probably have to spend $2k to see an improvement.

And +1 on AA optics. Awesome guy, great prices and service. His INGO username is 47269 Vette, I believe.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If the scope is going to go on a Barrett (which more than likely has cost a big chunk of change), why not look for a used Nightforce (maybe new) NXS? Gen 1 Razor? Used Gen 2 Razor?

Wish I had more first hand experience, I'm still waiting on the same scope (SFP) for my 455

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    If the scope is going to go on a Barrett (which more than likely has cost a big chunk of change), why not look for a used Nightforce (maybe new) NXS? Gen 1 Razor? Used Gen 2 Razor?

Wish I had more first hand experience, I'm still waiting on the same scope (SFP) for my 455

Perhaps I should clarify. It is a Barrett REC 7 DMR in 6.8 caliber. I wish I could justify one of the big boys! I did the 6.8 in hope of taking it out to 1000 yards and want to get a scope that is capable but won't break the bank. When I was at the Barrett factory building the rifle I asked what scopes they recommended and Vortex was the first brand they mentioned.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The Vortex PST and Sightron Siii are your best bets in this price range if you're buying new. Both are top of the game in this price range.

I went for the PST after researching the crap out of these two and talking with Alan. The PST had nicer turrets (more distinct clicks...both should track fine) and an etched reticle. Those were the only things better about the PST that I could see. Glass on both is great for the price. Also, I haven't used Sightron's warranty, but Vortex's warranty is stellar.

If you buy used, you can probably find a bit nicer equipment. But either a PST or Siii are good choices if they fit your needs.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I cannot speak for that scope, but as to dealer, A&A Optics: A&A Optics
    Alan knows optics front to back. His prices are the best I have seen too. I suggest pm'ing him with your budget and your intended use and see what he comes up with.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have the 6-24 MOA PST in first focal plane and I bought it from Alan A&A Optics. First off, Alan is a scope guru especially on Vortex equipment, so like everyone else has already said listen to what Alan says. He spent a bunch of time writing me back and forth and still charged a very competitive price. Honestly he should have charged me more for the amount of time I talked his ear off.

Secondly, the scope is so sweet. It's the most expensive scope I've ever personally owned, but not the most expensive scope I've looked through. I've looked through scopes at the range that were three times or more $$ than my PST was, but I didn't see any extra value added for the extra cost. The scope is rugged and the glass is very clear. The rifle I have mine on is what I call my precision long range gun. Last time to the range I dialed in the adjustment and made a hit round hit on steel at 1,000 yards. I suppose you could say that the scope tracks well, LOL. The first focal plain is also very nice because it's you can just use holds out to 30MOA of adjustment. That's a lot of adjustment to be able to hold over. I prefer the holdovers because it takes the mechanical variables of adjusting turrets out of the equation.

I can go on and on, but the bottom line is that you'd like the scope, and you'd be wise to buy it from Alan.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    As an update, seems that everyone on here says to talk to Alan and we are PMing back and forth. I have read a lot of his posts on here and it seems that he is the ultimate expert without a doubt. I currently have a Trijicon TA01 that the scope will replace. Not that I don't like the ACOG, it is sweet but just won't get me where I eventually want to be. That is hitting targets 200 yards plus with a goal of 1000 yards eventually.

My thanks to all of you commenting here. The advice is much appreciated.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The RZR series is obviously better than the PST series. To be right honest I dont think you will tell much diffrence between the PST, and RZR until the 800yd marker, with the noticeable difference coming in around the 1100 yd marker.

Its very rare someone asks about a caliber Im not familiar with, but the 6.8 is one of them. What kind of drop are you expecting out of it? My only hesitation would be does the 6-24 PST have the internal travel required to get you to 1k? Does the Barret come with a 20 MOA base? If it does then you should see about 48 MOA of travel from a 200 yd zero. That will get most calibers to 1k with ease, but I would like to make sure it would get your caliber out there. Without a 20 MOA base you should see about 28 MOA of travel, and that is pushing it for some calibers. The nice thing about the FFP version your looking at is nomatter how bad mirrage gets you can still dial back the zoom and have 30 MOA of holdover. Outside of calibers that have no business shooting that far (like my 22) any caliber will get to 1k with 58 MOA travel.

Ill look up some specs and report back. Obviously thanks to everyone for the referals.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It appears your going to have about 40 MOA drop from a 200 yd zero (guessing, someone feel free to correct me). Since this rifle is the AR platform for 1k yd shooting, I would highly recomend getting a 20 MOA cantilever mount for it no matter the scope you pick.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Ok, bought the scope from Alan and I got more than I bargained for. Including some tips that I could have used this past weekend at the range. After meeting Alan and spending a couple of hours with him I understand (first hand) why everyone raves about the guy. Some on here have gone as far as to call him the "Guru" on optics. Not sure that is accurate as I think the Gurus who need more knowledge are going to him. What is the level above "Guru"? I will admit that I pulled my debit card out of my wallet at least 3-4 times while I was there. Yes, I came home from Liberty, IN with more than just a scope. And lastly, he is just a good guy.

Thanks Alan!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ok, bought the scope from Alan and I got more than I bargained for. Including some tips that I could have used this past weekend at the range. After meeting Alan and spending a couple of hours with him I understand (first hand) why everyone raves about the guy. Some on here have gone as far as to call him the "Guru" on optics. Not sure that is accurate as I think the Gurus who need more knowledge are going to him. What is the level above "Guru"? I will admit that I pulled my debit card out of my wallet at least 3-4 times while I was there. Yes, I came home from Liberty, IN with more than just a scope. And lastly, he is just a good guy.

Thanks Alan!

Anytime sir.

vernw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Dallas now born Indy
    Aside from the amount of adjustment you need for your caliber at 1000 yds (no idea there), my HST and PST 6-24's have superior clarity and repeatable adjustments better than big names costing 2-3 times as much. And their warranty and support can't be beat.

never compared anything to a NF, my pockets aren't that deep LOL. But otherwise my scopes in this power range are either these Vortex scopes or Nikon Monarchs. Both represent the best value for equal or better scopes IMO

Top Bottom