• ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Hey guys!

I've been wanting to take some flying lessons to work on getting a fixed-wing pilot's license but haven't really gotten around to it [been busy busy busy]... The wife got me a short/basic class and some flying time locally and I was just wanting to know if anybody has any specific advice before I attend. I have a year to attend the class [I just have to call and schedule it] but would like to make sure all of my ducks are in a row.

That said - hopefully I'll be able to afford everything required to actually become a licensed pilot. I have numerous friends that own small planes and it would be nice to be able to make short trips and/or fly for fun and pleasure every once in a while.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Been over 20 years for me since I have flown myself anywhere... just got too expensive as I got older, family, house, kids, wife, ect...

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Taildragger only pilot here, and just got my sea plane rating this fall.
    Have had my license about 20 years now and learned at a crop dusting field.
    Keep at it is all I can tell you. I dbout if you will find anyone who teaches in a taildragger but I highly recommend it.
    Anyone can land a tri cycle gear plane and flying a 150 or 172 Cessna is like driving a Chevy caprice there is nothing special about it.
    When you start don't stop keep it up, get your written test out of the way as fast as you can and focus on flying the plane.
    Minimum time in flight is 40 hours before you take check ride. But plan on 55 to 60.
    There is only 1 thing you need to know it is not Bernoulli's principal that makes the plane fly. It is MONEY!
    A quote around the airport is the FAA they are not happy until you are UnHappy.
    I do love to fly but can't imagine the future of general aviation in the next decade or two.
    I'm blessed to have a friend who has a Stearman that I fly and I am pretty good with a wrench so I do a lot of work on this plane and a couple otgers. We have an IA on the field who has no issues signing off the work I do.
    I put a new engine on the Stearman a year and a half ago.
    So if it were not for a good friend flying would just be a memory not an ongoing activity.
    Good Luck and keep me posted!

Enthusiast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    It DOES become costly but if you can manage it, it is an exciting accomplishment and pastime. Carry a **** can for longer trips!

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Yes, full-time corporate pilot and active CFI here.

Only advice I could give "cold" is to enjoy yourself, take the feedback you are given constructively, don't be afraid to change CFIs if you are having issues, and RIGHT RUDDER!

Oh yeah, one other thing - flying a shiny new glass cockpit airplane is cool, but an old beater Cessna 150/152/172 or Piper Cherokee/Warrior gets you the same license for a much lower hourly rate. Plus if you don't have all the gee-whiz to look at inside the cockpit you might have your eyes outside the cockpit, where they should be.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Been over 20 years for me since I have flown myself anywhere... just got too expensive as I got older, family, house, kids, wife, ect...

Same here, bought a Cessna 150 back in the mid 80's and finished my lesson in that. Before that it was hit or miss starting at the age of 16. Sold the Cessna years ago and started saving for another plane but my daughter moved back to town with no job and two kids so I have been helping her. Still plan on getting another but it gets less important the older I get.

What is it now, about 5K to get your license? It has been awhile for me.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Hoosier8 said:

Probably closer to 8k paying nominal wet rental rates, unless you can dedicate the time to quickly bang it out in not much over the 40hr part 61 requirement.

insurance and fuel costs have made rentals very expensive, even in well-used trainers.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Also, look at buying "block time" as it should be cheaper than trying to do an hourly rate. Or, if there is a flat rate for a license, look at going that route so there are no or, at the very least, fewer financial surprises.

also, check into the reputation of the flight school. Several friends of mine have gone for A&P licenses only to be told they failed a part of the Oral and Practical portion of the test. They got charged the $800 for the full test and another $200-300 to retake the one portion of the test they supposedly failed. If it were people I didn't know, I'd take it with a grain of salt but, I am talking about guys that have been doing composite work, rivet smashing and heavy aircraft maintenance for 10+ years. You want to avoid getting caught up in a scam school that is farming you for dollars by purposely failing you on a portion of a test to charge you again.

Buck69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    An aeronica champ or J3 cub are great starters. You fly by the seat of your pants and really learn to fly without all the new gadgets. I got a Piper Dakota (PA29236) after I got my ticket 30 years ago. A great plane to fly

IndyUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Noblesville
    I learned to fly in the Marine corps and now fly commercially of a living. If you are in Camby, Eagle Creek is a reasonable distance for you. There is a flying club there called Sky Vu (Sky-Vu Flyers, Inc.**) you can join with a student license and use one of their instructors for your training. A little cheaper than just renting in the long run. I know there are some memberships for sale right now. I think there might be as many as six available. The going rate was about $3000, but with that many for sale you should be able to get one for $2,500. They have two planes at Eagle Creek and two at Metro.

I am also a CFI and can answer any questions you may have.

I formed a partnership with 3 other guys and we just bought this 2004 SR22.
    Post Pic.jpg

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Yeah - I'm wanting to do it while I'm young[er] if possible.

Taildragger only pilot here, and just got my sea plane rating this fall.
    Have had my license about 20 years now and learned at a crop dusting field.
    Keep at it is all I can tell you. I dbout if you will find anyone who teaches in a taildragger but I highly recommend it.
    Anyone can land a tri cycle gear plane and flying a 150 or 172 Cessna is like driving a Chevy caprice there is nothing special about it.
    I'm not planning on being picky as to what I learn to fly in so long as I learn the necessary skills to fly competently :).

That said - if I can save some money by learning in a lower-tech or older/less modern plane I'm fine with that as well. If I do buy one [which if I get my pilot's license I will likely eventually do] it's not going to be a brand new top-of-the-line plane with all of the bells and whistles.

When you start don't stop keep it up, get your written test out of the way as fast as you can and focus on flying the plane.
    Yeah - I'm trying to get all of my ducks in a row before I start - saving up the cash, planning out the time, etc... Last thing I want to do is get part way through it and either run out of money or run out of time. It's expensive - sure - but it's a total waste if I don't finish.

Minimum time in flight is 40 hours before you take check ride. But plan on 55 to 60.
    I've heard you generally would need/want more flying time than the minimum and that in some cases there really is no other option. I've not researched it a whole lot - just the basics - how long it generally takes, the rough cost, what to look for in a school, etc. That said - I'm always open to suggestions and I've no issues driving upwards of a couple hours one-way to go to an excellent school if necessary.

There is only 1 thing you need to know it is not Bernoulli's principal that makes the plane fly. It is MONEY!
    Ha! Yeah - it's expensive for sure - definitely not a 'hobby' for the faint of heart [or wallet]. Speaking of ... anybody seen wallet recently?

A quote around the airport is the FAA they are not happy until you are UnHappy.
    I've been reading that they love making you jump through hoops and once you jump through those hoops - they'll dig out, find, create more hoops for you. That said - if anybody has any specific advice [such as things to do, not to do, etc] I'm certainly all ears. I do my own research of course but I've no issues taking advice from those that have been there, done that.

I do love to fly but can't imagine the future of general aviation in the next decade or two.
    Scary part is - where will this country be in the next 10 to 20 years... I'm going to live life like there is no tomorrow [always do my best at this] so I won't worry about 20 years from now - that time will come when it comes. That isn't to say I don't think about it - I just don't let it get my panties in a bunch :).

I'm blessed to have a friend who has a Stearman that I fly and I am pretty good with a wrench so I do a lot of work on this plane and a couple otgers. We have an IA on the field who has no issues signing off the work I do.
    I'm mechanically inclined but, that said, I've no issues paying somebody certified to do the job to do it - sure, I can probably do it, but it'll take me more time than somebody that does it every day and for me time is more valuable than money more often than not.

I put a new engine on the Stearman a year and a half ago.
    So if it were not for a good friend flying would just be a memory not an ongoing activity.
    Good Luck and keep me posted!
    Yeah - I have friends that have planes and all of them are more than willing to let me use theirs so long as I pay for the deductible/insurance/etc should something happen. As with anything really truly fun - there is little fun without at least a little risk.

It DOES become costly but if you can manage it, it is an exciting accomplishment and pastime. Carry a **** can for longer trips!
    Haha! I'll have to keep that in mind.

Only advice I could give "cold" is to enjoy yourself, take the feedback you are given constructively, don't be afraid to change CFIs if you are having issues, and RIGHT RUDDER!
    I rarely take feedback/criticism as anything but constructive - you have to be obviously malicious for me to take offense and more often than not I'll keep it to myself and simply make a change. I do appreciate the advice though - I'm sure there will be threads by me on here about my progress - not sure if anybody cares but I have to share with somebody!

Oh yeah, one other thing - flying a shiny new glass cockpit airplane is cool, but an old beater Cessna 150/152/172 or Piper Cherokee/Warrior gets you the same license for a much lower hourly rate. Plus if you don't have all the gee-whiz to look at inside the cockpit you might have your eyes outside the cockpit, where they should be.
    Older/Beater/Used is fine with me so long as it's properly maintained which I think, according to regulations, is a requirement and not optional?

Same here, bought a Cessna 150 back in the mid 80's and finished my lesson in that. Before that it was hit or miss starting at the age of 16. Sold the Cessna years ago and started saving for another plane but my daughter moved back to town with no job and two kids so I have been helping her. Still plan on getting another but it gets less important the older I get.
    Obviously you have to prioritize things and do what is most important to you. My mom is on hard times herself and if I have to - I'll help support her - she supported me for 18 years the least I can do is help her out when she needs it.

I've heard $6k~10k depending on the school, plane, rentals, insurance, etc. Having a friend that will let you use their plane would help keep costs down obviously but regardless it's expensive.

Probably closer to 8k paying nominal wet rental rates, unless you can dedicate the time to quickly bang it out in not much over the 40hr part 61 requirement.
    I'm self-employed so ultimately I can make the time if I have to but I also have no issues getting more experience before becoming fully licensed. Sure - I'd like to spend less and be licensed but you gotta do what you gotta do.

insurance and fuel costs have made rentals very expensive, even in well-used trainers.
    Aye - fuel and insurance are the killers from what research I've done and from talking to friends. I've looked at a few used planes to get a feel for the cost to acquire one as well as looked at maintenance costs to get a feel for what it'd cost if I do acquire a plane of my own... Then you have storage as well + fuel + insurance.

Also, look at buying "block time" as it should be cheaper than trying to do an hourly rate. Or, if there is a flat rate for a license, look at going that route so there are no or, at the very least, fewer financial surprises.
    Not super familiar with this - I'll have to do some research.

also, check into the reputation of the flight school.
    That's one of the things I'm trying to do is to find a good school that I can trust that won't jerk me around by my ankles to see how many quarters [or hundred dollar bills] they can make fall out of my pockets.

Several friends of mine have gone for A&P licenses only to be told they failed a part of the Oral and Practical portion of the test. They got charged the $800 for the full test and another $200-300 to retake the one portion of the test they supposedly failed. If it were people I didn't know, I'd take it with a grain of salt but, I am talking about guys that have been doing composite work, rivet smashing and heavy aircraft maintenance for 10+ years. You want to avoid getting caught up in a scam school that is farming you for dollars by purposely failing you on a portion of a test to charge you again.
    Yep - I've read that there are numerous ... unscrupulous schools that will do exactly that. The reputation of the school and of their trainers is paramount in my decision to choose where to go. I've no issues driving further to go to a better school if need be within reason.

An aeronica champ or J3 cub are great starters. You fly by the seat of your pants and really learn to fly without all the new gadgets. I got a Piper Dakota (PA29236) after I got my ticket 30 years ago. A great plane to fly
    I'll have to look into them - ultimately I'm not familiar with makes/models of planes - but I am sure I will become very familiar when I'm shopping around for a rental or a used plane.

I learned to fly in the Marine corps and now fly commercially of a living. If you are in Camby, Eagle Creek is a reasonable distance for you. There is a flying club there called Sky Vu (Sky-Vu Flyers, Inc.**) you can join with a student license and use one of their instructors for your training. A little cheaper than just renting in the long run. I know there are some memberships for sale right now. I think there might be as many as six available. The going rate was about $3000, but with that many for sale you should be able to get one for $2,500. They have two planes at Eagle Creek and two at Metro.
    I'm not quite ready just yet to make any obligations and I've still got a lot of research to do before I make that jump but I appreciate the advice and will definitely add it to my notes :).

I am also a CFI and can answer any questions you may have.
    Thanks - I'll keep that in mind for sure.

I formed a partnership with 3 other guys and we just bought this 2004 SR22.
    View attachment 24400
    Beautiful plane - I'd love to have something like that. I've no issues sharing one with others to keep costs down as well so long as the others are competent!

I appreciate everybody that has taken the time to respond - it always helps to get advice from those that have been there, done that and have experience.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Sounds like you are off to a good start and are asking all the right questions. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I once took the controls on a British Airways 757 during a trans-Atlantic flight...

Seriously. I was 13 (long before 9/11), and it was my first time on a plane. My mom made arrangements for me to see the cockpit, and the captain hopped up and let me sit at the controls mid flight. Although the co-pilot kept his hands on his controls, and I'm sure I never really had control of anything, it was about the coolest thing I'd ever experienced. :rockwoot:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Sounds like you are off to a good start and are asking all the right questions. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
    I've always found it's best to talk to those that already do what you want to learn. :).

I've got to work on dropping some weight to make this happen as well so that will also give me another goal to strive for. I've dropped weight before and kept it off for years but it's hard to do with my wife's cooking :).

Eat a lot less and eat a lot more often seems to be the trick :)... Also not eating at 5 AM [I have a habit of doing that!]

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I once took the controls on a British Airways 757 during a trans-Atlantic flight...

Seriously. I was 13 (long before 9/11), and it was my first time on a plane. My mom made arrangements for me to see the cockpit, and the captain hopped up and let me sit at the controls mid flight. Although the co-pilot kept his hands on his controls, and I'm sure I never really had control of anything, it was about the coolest thing I'd ever experienced. :rockwoot:
    A 757... Ha! That's like getting your driver's license and then trying to drive one of those 90+ wheel monsters :). Or - in your case - having no license or experience!

Pretty cool but it'd never happen these days :(.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have known a few guys that had their own planes.... Now don't because of mounting costs.

if you do get your liscense and want to continue to fly check out the civil air patrol.... Membership dues are once a year and you just have to dedicate a few hours a month to it and will get to fly glass cockpit single engine birds for free and the Air Force pays for the fuel.... You show up and just fly planes that have avionics and toys that usually is reserved for the corporate guys.

just something to think about.......

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I have known a few guys that had their own planes.... Now don't because of mounting costs.

if you do get your liscense and want to continue to fly check out the civil air patrol.... Membership dues are once a year and you just have to dedicate a few hours a month to it and will get to fly glass cockpit single engine birds for free and the Air Force pays for the fuel.... You show up and just fly planes that have avionics and toys that usually is reserved for the corporate guys.

That's brilliant. I'll have to look into it. Something I'd likely have never become aware of if not for this thread :).

I know, kids can't even get a glimpse of the cockpit on the ground now. :(
    The only reason I've seen a glimpse is because I was lucky enough to fly 'first class' recently - that and the flight simulators I have.

I have the full set-up with the yoke, throttle, rudder pedals, etc... I have a blast flying around in the sim but I'm sure things are a lot different when you're really flying and the risks are real and not virtual.

IndyUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Noblesville

I am also active in the Civil Air Patrol and what you have written is not very accurate.

To fly in the CAP you do have to be at least a private pilot, but it is not just show up and fly. Yes there is funded flying, and yes there is no required time commitment, but there is much more to it than what you have posted.

Civil Air Patrol is more about community service and not a place to fly for free. There are also opportunities to be part of the crew and you do not need to be a pilot to fly on missions. There are many opportunities to participate in ground missions, everything from Public Affairs to Safety and logistics.

There is also a very large youth program.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I am also active in the Civil Air Patrol and what you have written is not very accurate.

To fly in the CAP you do have to be at least a private pilot, but it is not just show up and fly. Yes there is funded flying, and yes there is no required time commitment, but there is much more to it than what you have posted.

Civil Air Patrol is more about community service and not a place to fly for free. There are also opportunities to be part of the crew and you do not need to be a pilot to fly on missions. There are many opportunities to participate in ground missions, everything from Public Affairs to Safety and logistics.

There is also a very large youth program.
    I'm no youth so it doesn't apply :).

As far as CAP - I'll do research regardless to see what it's all about. If it's a way that I can fly in a subsidized fashion all while performing some sort of civic duty it's something I'd definitely have to think about - understanding I'm saying this with 0 actual research done on CAP.

Top Bottom