• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    2012 Ford Focus SE, 26,xxx miles. On my last oil change service adviser recommended engine air filter (service interval is 30k) and a fuel induction cleaning. He explained the fuel cleaning as cleaning the throttle body and the fuel injectors.

Do I need the cleaning done, or is he just selling crap to make his numbers look better? That kind of cleaning with just 26k miles seems suspicious.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    This one of the reasons I no longer work at a dealer, someone in upper managment tells the service manager what his numbers need to be and he leans on the techs to sell everything they can almost to the point of robbery.
    I wouldn't clean the injectors till at least 50 k if ever.
    the gasoline you buy has cleaners in it.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    If the car runs rough or idles rough then I would clean injectors, otherwise save the money.
    I drive a 98 Taurus with 216,000 miles and have never had the injectors cleaned. I had original plugs and wires in there until this past winter because it wouldn't start during a cold snap. 210,000 miles on original plugs and it ran fine otherwise I would have replaced them earlier. I would find an honest mechanic if I were you.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    They don't call them stealerships for nothing you know.

Fuel injection does need cleaned regardless of the cleaners in fuels, it's not enough, but you should not need it just yet. 50k is the number most dealerships target with customers.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    This one of the reasons I no longer work at a dealer, someone in upper managment tells the service manager what his numbers need to be and he leans on the techs to sell everything they can almost to the point of robbery.
    I wouldn't clean the injectors till at least 50 k if ever.
    the gasoline you buy has cleaners in it.

If the car runs rough or idles rough then I would clean injectors, otherwise save the money.
    I drive a 98 Taurus with 216,000 miles and have never had the injectors cleaned. I had original plugs and wires in there until this past winter because it wouldn't start during a cold snap. 210,000 miles on original plugs and it ran fine otherwise I would have replaced them earlier. I would find an honest mechanic if I were you.

They don't call them stealerships for nothing you know.

Fuel injection does need cleaned regardless of the cleaners in fuels, it's not enough, but you should not need it just yet. 50k is the number most dealerships target with customers.

Thanks all, this basically confirms my suspicions. I may go talk to a service tech at a different dealer, or more than one. If I can get some honest answers I'll switch my business to them.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    It isn't I checked :D

The owners manual is quite sparse on recommended maintenance though.

I know.

That's because it doesn't need anything past the recommended maintenance.

Manufacturers are all about reducing "Cost of Ownership" which doesn't equal "Hours per Repair Order" at the dealership.

grasshopperlegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Cartersburg.
    I BOUGHT A NEW ESCAPE A MONTHS AGO AND I REALLY DON'T TRUST THE DEALERS MUCH. I GOT A EMAIL THE OTHER DAY WANTING ME TO TRADE IT IN. I CAN'T BELIEVE THESE GUYS. ON MY LAST ESCAPE THE THIRD LIGHT HAD A LED BULB OUT AND I TOOK TO THE DEALER AND THEY SAID THAT DOESN'T COVER IT IN THE WARRANTY. SO I SAID OK HOW MUCH AND THEY HAD TO GO IN THE BACK AND SEE HOW MUCH THEY COULD TAKE ME FOR. IT WAS $120 TO REPLACE THE UNIT. I SAID IT'S JUST 2 SCREWS AND A LED BULB. I WENT TO AUTOZONE AND REPLACE IT FOR LESS THAN $5. SO GUYS IT IS A RIP OFF WHEN YOU TAKE IT TO A DEALER TO GET IT FIXED BUT IT IS GETTING TO THE POINT THAT YOU CAN'T FIX SOME THINGS AND THIS WHAT THEY WANT.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I BOUGHT A NEW ESCAPE A MONTHS AGO AND I REALLY DON'T TRUST THE DEALERS MUCH. I GOT A EMAIL THE OTHER DAY WANTING ME TO TRADE IT IN. I CAN'T BELIEVE THESE GUYS. ON MY LAST ESCAPE THE THIRD LIGHT HAD A LED BULB OUT AND I TOOK TO THE DEALER AND THEY SAID THAT DOESN'T COVER IT IN THE WARRANTY. SO I SAID OK HOW MUCH AND THEY HAD TO GO IN THE BACK AND SEE HOW MUCH THEY COULD TAKE ME FOR. IT WAS $120 TO REPLACE THE UNIT. I SAID IT'S JUST 2 SCREWS AND A LED BULB. I WENT TO AUTOZONE AND REPLACE IT FOR LESS THAN $5. SO GUYS IT IS A RIP OFF WHEN YOU TAKE IT TO A DEALER TO GET IT FIXED BUT IT IS GETTING TO THE POINT THAT YOU CAN'T FIX SOME THINGS AND THIS WHAT THEY WANT.

First off, we know the dealership is out to make money bro...

Second, quit yelling..

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Let's get some perspective here:

'92 5.0 Mustang. Stock original injectors. 215,000 miles, never cleaned.
    '89 F-250 5.8. Stock injectors, never cleaned.
    '07 F-350 6.0 Stock injectors, never cleaned. But will probably replace when I stud the heads. (they have specific issues)
    '99 Expedition 4.6. I have the heads off the truck right now to fix an oil leak (gyser) from the cylinder. 110,000 miles. I will put the stock injectors (with new o-rings) back in.

I just make sure I run good gas (Shell usually, used to run Amoco until BP bought it, or Marathon) I avoid cheapo gas stations, had issues with Clarks gas when they were in business and have never had any issues.

Skip the clean.

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    If the engine is not dtirect injected, it still has an electronic throttle body that should be kept clean to prevent sticking. I would consider that a 50k service.

If the engine is direct injected, you may want to do some research. The injectors getting dirty or clogged isn't the real concern. On these engines the fuel injectors no longer bath the intake valves with fuel so they carbon up a LOT faster. The "fuel system service" should also include an induction cleaner that would also clean the intake valves.

I've attended two technical classes in the last year that focused solely on the direct injected engines and their unique quirks. Both instructors suggested induction cleaning intervals of 20-30k because the valves are a lot easier to keep clean than remove caked on carbon to the point of cylinder head removal.

Hope that helped

Top Bottom