• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I want an 82 GT so bad. They are one of the most aggressive looking Mustangs from the fox era. It's definitely in my top five. It's a close tie between a bubble back Capri and a box top Futura.

I was living in Tulsa at the time the 82 GT was introduced. One weekend I went down to the local dealer to check them out and took one for a test ride. The salesman said they were required to drive the car off the lot so he did but pulled over almost immediately to let me drive. We ended up on the cross town expressway (Broken Arrow Expressway for those of you familiar with Tulsa) and this particular road has several nice "S" curves in it so I'm flying down the road changing lanes across 3 lanes straightening out the curves having a great time up and down shifting my way thru the relatively light traffic. At one point I'm in the extreme inside lane pushing the 100mph mark and the salesman is reminding me that our exit is coming up soon. He was becoming more insistent the closer we got and literally at the last second I drifted across 3 empty lanes, down onto the off ramp coming to a full stop in what was probably the cars limit for braking. We ended up back on the lot and after some back and forth bantering I left.

I told a co-worker later that day of the fun I had with the salesman so he went down a few days later, asked for the same salesman and when he showed up my buddy mentioned my name and told the salesman that I had recommended him. The salesman asked my buddy if he was an "enthusiast" also to which my buddy replied YES!

The salesman tossed him the keys and asked him to try and bring the car back unbent!!!:rockwoot: I guess one "enthusiast" per week was his limit!!:laugh:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    4 of my 4 Mustangs have been Fox bodys. 79 pace car replica with a 351W. 84 GT, 87 lx notch back 4 cyl and a 90 lx hatch with a 5.0.

I'll have another one day to play around with at the track.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was living in Tulsa at the time the 82 GT was introduced. One weekend I went down to the local dealer to check them out and took one for a test ride. The salesman said they were required to drive the car off the lot so he did but pulled over almost immediately to let me drive. We ended up on the cross town expressway (Broken Arrow Expressway for those of you familiar with Tulsa) and this particular road has several nice "S" curves in it so I'm flying down the road changing lanes across 3 lanes straightening out the curves having a great time up and down shifting my way thru the relatively light traffic. At one point I'm in the extreme inside lane pushing the 100mph mark and the salesman is reminding me that our exit is coming up soon. He was becoming more insistent the closer we got and literally at the last second I drifted across 3 empty lanes, down onto the off ramp coming to a full stop in what was probably the cars limit for braking. We ended up back on the lot and after some back and forth bantering I left.

I told a co-worker later that day of the fun I had with the salesman so he went down a few days later, asked for the same salesman and when he showed up my buddy mentioned my name and told the salesman that I had recommended him. The salesman asked my buddy if he was an "enthusiast" also to which my buddy replied YES!

The salesman tossed him the keys and asked him to try and bring the car back unbent!!!:rockwoot: I guess one "enthusiast" per week was his limit!!:laugh:

So you did not buy the car I take it.....:):

Drew50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2016
    Schererville
    Is an '89 and a '94 Thunderbird considered a Fox platform? The 4.6 engine in the '94 really ran great. Even though the back seats would not haul adults, I enjoyed them.
    No, those are based on a much different platform. They had independent rear suspension which Mustangs didn't get until 2001 I think.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    No, those are based on a much different platform. They had independent rear suspension which Mustangs didn't get until 2001 I think.

The Mustang Cobra offered a IRS. It wasn't standard until 2014 or 2015 IIRC.

I believe he meant the 89 and 94 tbirds were different platforms. I've always wanted and cherry turbo coupe of 89 vintage or that body style at least but the clean ones are going for more than I want to spend on one just to yank the turbo driveline and install a 351w and 5 speed in. Oh well. . . so many cars. . .so little money!!:laugh:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Our 84 Tbird started out life as a 4cyl turbo coupe. It was minus eng & trans when we got it. The original plan was a 351c (old nascar engine) with nitrous & a backhalf chassis. But then it was decided a big block would be better so we started with a 588 then 598 and now 632. And several other upgrades along the way.
    But for the record the 84-88 Tbird were fox body platform with slightly longer wheel base

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    [STRIKE][/STRIKE]
    Our 84 Tbird started out life as a 4cyl turbo coupe. It was minus eng & trans when we got it. The original plan was a 351c (old nascar engine) with nitrous & a backhalf chassis. But then it was decided a big block would be better so we started with a 588 then 598 and now 632. And several other upgrades along the way.
    But for the record the 84-88 Tbird were fox body platform with slightly longer wheel base

I was a year off!:n00b: I was thinking the last of the fox tbirds was 89 so I need to be looking for an 88 turbo coupe should I ever run out of other [STRIKE]money pits[/STRIKE] I mean, "projects"!:rockwoot:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The 87/88 tbirds had the pointed nose and almost triangle quarter window. I gained a fondness of the foxbody Tbirds as a kid watching all my nascar heros driving them when the GM stuff was still real boxy looking... And Bob Glidden had the first one with a big block I ever saw

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I bought an 82 Capri (same body) in 83 when I came back from West Germany. Loved the hell out of that thing. Would love to be able to build one again. Something about a Fox.

Top Bottom