• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wisboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Crown Point 46307
    I just picked up a used H001 with a scratched receiver cover but Henry sells replacement covers for $40 + S/H for the smooth cover or $50 + S/H with a saddle ring. Waiting for my plain cover to arrive...
    I don't have any Henrys , as I don't care for the Zamak receivers.
    However, I think they are good value .
    I have all the rest mentioned , and one not mentioned, the Uberti repo old lever guns.

I prefer the 9422' s and the 9417's.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I don't have any Henrys , as I don't care for the Zamak receivers.
    However, I think they are good value .
    I have all the rest mentioned , and one not mentioned, the Uberti repo old lever guns.

I prefer the 9422' s and the 9417's.
    I haven't seen many Uberti's but I'll keep an eye out for them.

This is my only Henry so we'll see how it goes. My only other lever .22 is a JM-stamped Marlin 39A which is a great gun!

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    If you can find one on sale, these are a lot of fun. Rossi RL22181WD-GLD2
    The sights are nice. Don't know that I would go full retail on one.

logguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    I'll agree with Mgderf, I got a Henry smooth bore for chipmunks around the house. The more I carry it, the more it feels like it wants a brother .
    Simple to disassemble, clean, action is smooth as silk

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I have been looking at the Chiappa la322. It is a Marlin 39 copy has some good reviews and is in the 350- more price range based on finish and features.
    I had one of these they are a pretty nice copy, they don't have the precision machining that the older 39's had but for the price they work just fine.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    My son and I took his Henry H001 and my Marlin 39a to the range today for some plinking, which reminded me of this thread.

We shot the dueling tree at 40-ish yards and were pretty evenly matched. My Marlin had a couple of light strikes, but it's a 73 year-old rifle with original springs, so it's hard to be mad at it. It made up for it by having a 4- round advantage in the mag tube.

We put them on paper after shooting steel, and that 39a is dead on at 40 yards, and grouped right around an inch with a rear buckhorn and front gold bead. The Henry shot about 2" groups, but consistently had a flyer about 3-4" outside.

I've gotta admit that the Henry action is really smooth. It lacks the mechanical refinement of the Marlin...when you run the lever on the Marlin you can feel all the cams and levers inside moving and it's very satisfying...but it feeds the rounds with no drama.

The Henry is lighter and slimmer than the 39a. The 39M would probably be a better comparison, but I can't afford one. The quality of materials on the Marlin is clearly superior.

Top Bottom