• ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Henry
    I know from personal experience they have excellent customer service. If you ever have any problems with it, contact customer service on their web page. They pay shipping both ways if it needs to go back to the factory. If they can't fix it, they replace it.:)

topash

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Anywhere
    I have one of thr Frontier models, but mine is not threaded, and it's chambered in .22wmr
    How would you rate your henry 22 wmr for action smoothness, accuracy, and ease of loading the tube with the longer rimfire.? I want a 22 wmr for pest control and can't make up my mind.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Go check out a few Henry's and let me know if you still think it looks like a budget rifle.
    The thread is with 22's
    Henrys 22's are reasonable in price, starting with them having a cast Zamak 5 receiver.

I really get, The Made in the USA.
    But, Henry's don't hold a candle to a Browning BL22

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Henrys 22's are reasonable in price, starting with them having a cast Zamak 5 receiver.

I enjoy a couple Henry rimfires, and think they're a good entry-level rifle. One thing about the Zamak outer shell is that they ARE going to get scratched if you're actually shooting and handling them. I mean, it's a painted aluminum shell.

The action on the Henry rimfires is probably the smoothest action I've experienced, even among my more expensive rimfires.

Had a nephew come to me one day, almost in tears, to show me how he had ruined my Henry 17hmr. The paint had started flaking off, and he thought he had done something wrong! I had that one powder-coated and it looks good again.

This one here is the carbine octagon-barrel in 22 mag. I had taken this picture with the intent to send it to Henry to get them to make a 17 HM2 model, but I never did anything with it. That's a 17HM2 ammo box it's sitting on.

It's a sweet shooting little rifle. I have a smaller scope on it now, than in this pic.

Carbine 22 Mag.jpg

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I enjoy a couple Henry rimfires, and think they're a good entry-level rifle. One thing about the Zamak outer shell is that they ARE going to get scratched if you're actually shooting and handling them. I mean, it's a painted aluminum shell.

The action on the Henry rimfires is probably the smoothest action I've experienced, even among my more expensive rimfires.

Had a nephew come to me one day, almost in tears, to show me how he had ruined my Henry 17hmr. The paint had started flaking off, and he thought he had done something wrong! I had that one powder-coated and it looks good again.

This one here is the carbine octagon-barrel in 22 mag. I had taken this picture with the intent to send it to Henry to get them to make a 17 HM2 model, but I never did anything with it. That's a 17HM2 ammo box it's sitting on.

It's a sweet shooting little rifle. I have a smaller scope on it now, than in this pic.

View attachment 337773

It's a great entry level 22 rifle. But like you posted, the finish is the first thing to go south on them.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    So it's looking like Henry is the more budget-friendly option lol
    It is, and IMO a great value for what you get. It's a reasonably accurate, smooth and reliable lever-action. It's make of cheap pot metal with a flakey finish....nowhere near the quality of a 39a or BL22. But if you're wanting a gun that shoots well and aren't going to nitpick the fit and finish, you'll be very happy with it. It'll get the job done...just don't look at it from closer than 10 feet away, lol.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    So their $1000 22lr are pot metal?
    Yes, Zamak 5 metal.
    Henry Repeating Arms of 59 E 1st St, Bayonne, New Jersey, makes their . 22LR rifle receivers out of high pressure castings of Zamak which is a zinc-aluminium-magnesium-copper alloy. The casting is then either painted to match the color of the rest of the gun or it is covered with brass-plated sheetmetal.

For under a $1,000 one can buy a Grade 11 Browning thats made with polished blue steel.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yes, Zamak 5 metal.
    Henry Repeating Arms of 59 E 1st St, Bayonne, New Jersey, makes their . 22LR rifle receivers out of high pressure castings of Zamak which is a zinc-aluminium-magnesium-copper alloy. The casting is then either painted to match the color of the rest of the gun or it is covered with brass-plated sheetmetal.

For under a $1,000 one can buy a Grade 11 Browning thats made with polished blue steel.
    $1,000?
    Sportsman's Warehouse has a standard Henry .22 lever for $369.99.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    So their $1000 22lr are pot metal?
    I'm not aware of a Henry .22 that sells for $1000...we may be talking about two different things. The base model H001 or whatever it's called, which sells for about $325, does indeed have a black painted pot metal receiver. The Golden Boy, which sells for about $550, is basically the same gun with a brass-colored (plated?) receiver and slightly better sights. My brother has one, and that receiver is definitely not solid brass.

The center-fire Henrys are a different story altogether. They're made of actual steel, and I've seen them go for $1000+. But the .22s are cast pot metal built to a price point.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

$1031

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central

$1031
    Well that's the first I've seen that. I can't say for sure as I've never seen one in person, but that looks to be a special edition version of the Golden Boy, and presumably is just nickel plated where the Golden Boy is brass plated. The contours and lines all look exactly the same. Somebody would have to be crazy to spend $1k on that thing. Even if there is actual steel under there on the receiver cover I'm sure the internals are exactly the same.

ETA: I found it on Henry's website. It is nickel plated. With 24k gold inlay. So they added some bling to a $550 pot metal rifle and are now selling it for $1000. I guess if you've got too much money and want a "collectible" to hang on the wall, it could be appealing. Personally, if I had $1000 to spend on a rimfire lever I'd rather get a 39M. Or an H001 and 3 or 4 cases of ammo!

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/second-amendment-tribute-edition/

Last edited:

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    The Henry is a great gun for field use. If the weapon will get scratched, dropped, dinged, rubbed, etc, you'll feel less bad about it happening to a Henry than a Browning. If it's for careful bench shooting, get whatever you can afford, they're all fun!

Top Bottom