• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have been exercising a lot of restraint over the past few years as the P7 is at the top of my wish list. But I have not bought one yet because they are $3000+ for a good one in the configuration I want. Not to mention the fact that my gunsmith who is a big P7 fan and has a few of them says he rarely if ever shoots his anymore because the parts to fix them are very hard to find and very expensive. He also calls them the "swiss watch" of firearms saying that they are very difficult to work on with tons of fragile moving parts.

I still want one. Just need to hit the lottery first.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    That’s been the one worry I had is parts. I can’t have something and not shoot it if it’s a keeper. They really are a brilliant concept as far as the design…. To bad HK killed them off…

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    I have one and love it. It’s a retro classic. It has a great trigger and, with its low bore axis, is a bonafide tack driver. Does it get hot? Oh yes. But honestly, this isn’t a gun that I would blast a couple boxes of ammo through in a single range trip, so that isn’t a huge concern for me. For THOSE range trips, I’d bring one of my much-more-easily replaced polymer guns.

I do worry a little about finding parts. Parts are out there, but very expensive, which also counsels in favor of taking it easy as far as high-volume trips to the range. I don’t hear a lot about parts failing left and right with these, but in light of the gold-plated prices these days, why take a chance?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Kinda in the same boat as OP, honest question when shooting a P7 how long does it take for the gun to actually get hot? This gun is like the Python for me, I want one but I would like to shoot it too.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I had a PSP for a short time several years ago. Got in on one of the purported last imports of them.

Shot well enough! But I only had 1 mag with it - and they were otherwise basically non-existent.

Then I stopped in at Gander Mountain in Castleton one day. Saw another PSP in the used case - for a right reasonable price. But - I didn't buy it right then and there, nor did I put it on Lay Away - because I was somewhat recently married.

Thing is, I should've gone ahead and asked forgiveness. It was a P7 that was mis-marked and mis-priced as a PSP...

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I have a well loved M8 shooter with a pile of mags and a minty M13 with the box.

Kinda in the same boat as OP, honest question when shooting a P7 how long does it take for the gun to actually get hot? This gun is like the Python for me, I want one but I would like to shoot it too.
    Depends on just how fast you're shooting and how long you're letting it cool. Hot enough to notice? Hot enough to hurt? Hot enough to burn? Mag dumps? match? casual with chatting between? There's an initial delay for the heat to come to the surface but once it's there, it holds a lot of heat to dissipate. Going fast you could get through several mags before even noticing it but once it soaks through, it'll be HOT. More sedate pace will get hot in the same time frame but won't get as hot.

I've done matches with it: 150 rounds in 1-1.5hr. Insulated in a thick leather holster gets (and stays) uncomfortable but manageable.

Also depends on if you have a PSP or M8/M13. The earlier guns with the heel mag release were just bare metal of the frame so they get "uncomfortable" a lot faster. the later M models with the paddle release have a polymer heat guard that makes it considerably less uncomfortable.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've probably owned at least five different P7M8's over the years, the first one I bought as a young guy in the 90's was a used one for 499.00, after that I was working at a gun store and would buy them from HK at dealer price. I would sell one and then really want one again and then sell it lol, never remembering why I sold them in the first place. Super cool guns but as others have said they got hot, I took one to a course once and had to swap out for my G19. They are also heavy with limited capacity for their size. Very slim though and yes, very accurate. If you've owned one before the novelty wears off pretty quick and definitely not worth 3K, at least to me.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I still carry the one I bought at the Stout Field show for around $400, about the going rate at the time (if that gives you an idea how long ago that was). Shoots great. It does get hot when you put a lot of rounds downrange at a time. I usually have some others I'm shooting as well, so I put a couple mags through it and then shoot something else for awhile.

It has been said that it can be drawn, cocked and fired accurately faster than any other handgun. That is true when I'm shooting one. It still amazes me how natural it is for me to shoot proficiently compared to other handguns.

They are not for everyone. Some people can't seem to get the hang of the cocking mechanism. Usually people either love them or they hate them.

My wife loves them. Before we were married, I let her shoot one of my P7M8s, along with several other handguns. After shooting the P7M8, she said "I like that one, I want one of those". She got mad at me for letting her shoot it after I told her they are no longer made and extremely expensive. A couple years later, I bought her one as a gift. When she saw where the box said "P7", she said "that better be a P7 and not a ring!" Apparently at the time, she would have rather had a P7 than to marry me!

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Yup! One of my all time favorites. The M8 and or M13 with the "heat shield" trigger guard insert makes all the difference. Love the trigger, look, design, grip, feel, accuracy, and of course...the cool factor! Two of my favorite guns in one movie... Beretta 92 and an HK P7M13. I know you guys know the movie!!

Top Bottom