• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Used to live in Michigan. Was a Red Wings fan and yes, I'm a girl. Was STILL on the waiting list for season tickets when we moved down here. One time we were on our way to a game in our new mini van when we got rear ended by a new 16 year old driver who didn't have dad's permission to be out driving. He hit us while we were stopped at a light and he was going full speed. Didn't make it to that game. It was our first one after Lil Spas was born too. Finally let her stay with her aunt.

After moving down here though it's hard to get hockey on TV without paying an arm and a leg for just that 1 channel. So not as much of an interest here as I used to have.

I was in Ohio last week for business and the hotel had the games one. I watched part of one of the Red Wings game. They were down 2 -1 when I went to bed. Woke up to them apparently winning 3-2.

Still have our Shanahan and Osgood Jerseys. Think we still have both home and away Jerseys as well.

Tried to watch The Ice but they just weren't the Red Wings.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    There's no way Indy could support a hockey team. Have you seen the crowds at an Indiana Ice game lately? They close off the entire upper level of Bankers Life when they play there.

As for a hockey watch/ meetup... I am definitely down for that. Just no BW3 I guess based on the threads here.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Over the last few years i've become quite the avid hockey fan, i'd go as far as to say its now my fave sport. Growing up in Seattle we didnt have a hockey team but now that i've moved right outside D.C. i cant help but root for our CAPS..... This series against the Rangers was rediculous, i cannot believe the refs in most of those games havent been fired yet, i can only hope they dont go on to ref more playoff games.

Going from the worst team in the league to leading our division was quite the treat, i just wish we didnt have to play against the rangers AND refs. I will keep watching though, not sure who im rooting for now, and ill try to even catch some of these "worlds" games goin on

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I doubt it. Indianapolis as a city is not considered in the top five potential cities to relocate the franchise to but that doesn't mean I can rule us out.

There's no way Indy could support a hockey team. Have you seen the crowds at an Indiana Ice game lately? They close off the entire upper level of Bankers Life when they play there.

As for a hockey watch/ meetup... I am definitely down for that. Just no BW3 I guess based on the threads here.

Indianapolis isn't a sports town. Most residents think that it is, but it isn't. There's no "water cooler talk" about anything but the Colts, and then only when they're winning. When's the last time you heard buzz on the Pacers, the Indians, or the Ice? Rarely, if ever. No one cares.

Go to Chicago, Detroit, New York, etc. and all people talk about are the sports teams.

Born and raised in Detroit, I'm a huge hockey fan, but it's almost impossible to be one in Indiana. Pretty much no one around me has ever even heard of hockey and I can't even find my games on cable TV.

mulsas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Westfield
    My biggest frustration with being a Hawks fan in Indy is the time difference. I usually get up extra early a few days a week to work out, so when they play in the west coast, there is no way I can stay up to watch. One reason I am happy to see them playing the Wings this round, at least I can watch more of the games.

It is interesting to see the rivalry. It seems that the rivalry is tradition, but there isn't much real hate there. As opposed to the Canucks, where there is oh so much hate!

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Indianapolis isn't a sports town. Most residents think that it is, but it isn't. There's no "water cooler talk" about anything but the Colts, and then only when they're winning. When's the last time you heard buzz on the Pacers, the Indians, or the Ice? Rarely, if ever. No one cares.

Go to Chicago, Detroit, New York, etc. and all people talk about are the sports teams.

Born and raised in Detroit, I'm a huge hockey fan, but it's almost impossible to be one in Indiana. Pretty much no one around me has ever even heard of hockey and I can't even find my games on cable TV.

Scutter01. The games are on the NBC family of networks. NBC, NBCSports Network and CNBC.

Also, you can find them online and watch them live as well.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Scutter01. The games are on the NBC family of networks. NBC, NBCSports Network and CNBC.

Is that just for the playoffs? I know for a long time, the regular games were only on Versus, which wasn't part of basic cable, and there was only one bar around me that showed them. I pretty much gave up on trying to be a hockey fan after that. There's only so many times you can be the only one in a bar who's cheering.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I'm a Hawks fan, it's been a great season, if Detroit knocks them out, which I doubt Ill root for the Wings and then the Bruins if need be.

mulsas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Westfield
    Versus got renamed to the NBC Sports Network. As someone who doesn't have cable, I have to resort to finding other internet streams to watch.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Versus got renamed to the NBC Sports Network. As someone who doesn't have cable, I have to resort to finding other internet streams to watch.

I don't have cable either but for some reason my little 13 inch TV in the bedroom picks up 2 channels, Disney and NBC sports network so I can watch.

I have yet to find a hockey friendly bar in Indy. We should try to organize a meet & greet /watch party sometime soon. I'm open to suggestions on time & place if anybody has any.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I don't have cable either but for some reason my little 13 inch TV in the bedroom picks up 2 channels, Disney and NBC sports network so I can watch.

I have yet to find a hockey friendly bar in Indy. We should try to organize a meet & greet /watch party sometime soon. I'm open to suggestions on time & place if anybody has any.

The Sinking Ship is pretty hockey and carry friendly. I've been there a few times to watch bigger games. I don't know of a dedicated hockey bar.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Fort Waynes sport team is the Komets. They always lead the entire league in average attendance. Though an NHL would be way way to big here, but an AHL I could see. We need to remove the owners first but that wont happen.

As far as watching games I buy NHL Gamecenter and usually watch on my phone, computer, or my TV when I have the computer hooked up. Good quality streams not many issues for the last 2-3 years of having the service.

MattyLite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Glad to see I'm not the only hockey fan here. Wile growing up, our neighbors were from MN and we started playing pond hockey at a very young age. I have been a Penguins fan since a kid and have been through some good times, bad times, and good again. I can remember listening to almost every game of an 82 game season over the radio while in college. Now I have far better viewing options available.

10Forward

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greenfield
    Put me down as another 'hawks fan...and the only team I dislike more than that Red Army team from Detroit might be Vancouver. :D

I don't know of any hockey bars either, closest I'd ever seen is when I lived up that way there was a pizza place in Carmel (don't remember the name) that had quite a bit of hockey memorabilia.

As far as the NHL being in Indy full time, I don't think Indy could support it. I have always said though that the NHL would do well to grow the sport by playing a regular season game in large markets without their own team - Indy, Seattle, Houston, Cleveland, etc.

Indy couldn't support a full time team, but I do think they would sell out an annual, regular season NHL game. I'd go, even if it was Columbus giving up a home game to play here. :poop:

Top Bottom