• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The GF and I want to add on to our house and we are considering either a basement or a 2nd floor for the addition. "Generally" speaking how do the costs compare? This is to be an approximately 400 sq ft addition with the basement or 2nd floor, whichever is decided, to have the same area. Thanks!!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm not a builder... Nor do I have any do-it-yourself experience...

But I can't imagine that digging a basement under an already-existing home would at all be cost effective. That's a labor INTENSE job!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    There are companies that specialize in digging basements under pre-existing homes, it's not really as tricky as it sounds, if you deal with a company that has the proper equipment. However, and I'm not sure, but I would think you would spend far more money going with a basement, as, even after excavating is done, you still have to put in foundation walls, and finish the interior. I"m not a big fan of building "up", because I've seen a lot of botched jobs, moreso than simple remodels or room additions. If building out is not an option though, I think you could get a lot more bang for your buck by adding a second floor, just choose the company that does the work very carefully.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    There are companies that specialize in digging basements under pre-existing homes, it's not really as tricky as it sounds, if you deal with a company that has the proper equipment. However, and I'm not sure, but I would think you would spend far more money going with a basement, as, even after excavating is done, you still have to put in foundation walls, and finish the interior. I"m not a big fan of building "up", because I've seen a lot of botched jobs, moreso than simple remodels or room additions. If building out is not an option though, I think you could get a lot more bang for your buck by adding a second floor, just choose the company that does the work very carefully.
    I mostly agree. Building "up" takes a very knowledgeable and honest contractor but it would be the best bang for your buck (if building out isn't an option). But IMHO, the better of the two options as far as quality of construction would be basement. Its not going to be as cheap, but you get a lot more usefulness out of a basement (my opinion) and it should add just as much (or more) resale value to the home if done properly.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I mostly agree. Building "up" takes a very knowledgeable and honest contractor but it would be the best bang for your buck (if building out isn't an option). But IMHO, the better of the two options as far as quality of construction would be basement. Its not going to be as cheap, but you get a lot more usefulness out of a basement (my opinion) and it should add just as much (or more) resale value to the home if done properly.
    Your right, Probably would add more value to the house, I know if I had the money, that would probably be the first thing I would do to my house. We have plenty of room on the first and second floor, but only a partial cellar. There seems to be some pretty tough building codes too, as far as using a basement as living space, which would be yet another consideration as far as how much the project would cost. I may be wrong about that, but I think your window openings have to be a certain height from the floor, and have so much actual opening area, don't know how much that would add to over all cost.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Your right, Probably would add more value to the house, I know if I had the money, that would probably be the first thing I would do to my house. We have plenty of room on the first and second floor, but only a partial cellar. There seems to be some pretty tough building codes too, as far as using a basement as living space, which would be yet another consideration as far as how much the project would cost. I may be wrong about that, but I think your window openings have to be a certain height from the floor, and have so much actual opening area, don't know how much that would add to over all cost.
    I believe that the window size, height, ect. only apply if the space is to be used as a bedroom. They have to meet code for fire egress. If I had the money and had to choose I would go basement for better resale value and to have a storm shelter for our lovely Indiana summers.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Point of confusion, we are adding a room. We are trying to decide if we want to add a second story to the addition or put a basement under the addition. The added space of the additional floor would be occupied as a playroom for the two of us. You know, big screen tv, jukebox, bar, trapeze:naughty: etc. No basement under existing structures, sorry for the lack of clarity.

bradp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Jamestown, IN
    Point of confusion, we are adding a room. We are trying to decide if we want to add a second story to the addition or put a basement under the addition. The added space of the additional floor would be occupied as a playroom for the two of us. You know, big screen tv, jukebox, bar, trapeze:naughty: etc. No basement under existing structures, sorry for the lack of clarity.

Depending on your location your planning and zoning may nix the idea of a basement if drainage is an issue(We have had this happen before) If it is a LARGE addition going up may be the best alternative. If you want to check the price of a basement we use Weber Concrete 317-769-3857 they are located in Whitestown/Lebanon area and they do nice work. I am a builder by the way!!!

Brad

gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Well, I believe it is generally cheaper per sq ft. to put in a basement. You will need a foundation regardless which means digging and the basement definitely will be easier to keep at a given temperature as it is buffered by the earth that surrounds it. However, where I live, the ground is clay and no matter what you do the walls eventually leak.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Thanks for the info Brad, we were hitting water at about 18" last year when putting up fence so I'm not sure how much of an issue drainage will play. I'll give your guy a call and see what he has to say. I'm not sure if any of the neighbors have basements or not.

Habib I hadn't considered an indoor range, I wonder if a 400 yard tunnel 8 feet in diameter would be a problem?:rockwoot:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Thanks for the info Brad, we were hitting water at about 18" last year when putting up fence so I'm not sure how much of an issue drainage will play. I'll give your guy a call and see what he has to say. I'm not sure if any of the neighbors have basements or not.

Habib I hadn't considered an indoor range, I wonder if a 400 yard tunnel 8 feet in diameter would be a problem?:rockwoot:

it would be a problem, because shoots not fun until you hit 500 yards ;)

FWIW my dad put a basement under the room addition when they added a first floor master bedroom to my grandparents house... he is not a builder but i do remember him saying that it was easier to botch a job going UP and adding on, than going DOWN.... they also smashed a hold in the side of the existing basement and connected the old w/ the new.... all in all i think that would save you more headach in the long run, even if it is more expensive.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    If you go with a basement and water is an issue (like mine) don't cheap out on the sump pump and make sure you get a decent backup system, that battery system gives me a lot of peace of mind. I have one that monitors the battery, the distilled water goes low in these things a lot.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If you go with a basement and water is an issue (like mine) don't cheap out on the sump pump and make sure you get a decent backup system, that battery system gives me a lot of peace of mind. I have one that monitors the battery, the distilled water goes low in these things a lot.

Absolutely correct! We are already looking at battery backup sump systems.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    If done right, a 2nd floor addition can be done to look original with the home. By time it is done, nobody would even know that your house was originally only 1 story. Putting a basement under a pre-existing home will be much more expensive by time it is finished.

If you have any questions feel free to email me at dave@staabconstruction.com

Top Bottom