Any idea what the value of this Colt 1911 is?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I doubt you will get that kind of money from someone on here. If 1911 forum feels its worth that then sell it there or on gun broker or wait the 10 years on here. Im currently waiting my 10 years to sell a cz on here. Soon there will be lots coming to market so get rid of it as soon as you can.

juans

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2013
    indianapolis
    If you can get an expert to remove the plate that hold the firing pin will help. The price if the slide number match is up to 2800 but if they do not match is lower

good luck

juan

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Looks like about $850 to $1000 if you really want to sell it or you can list it for $2500 and sit on it for the next ten years. Good time to sell before CMP dumps the surplus on the market. O
    I wouldn't worry too much about those. IF it happens, those guns are reparkerized mix masters. Kind of ugly. I've seen quite a few get sent to PD's as part of the DRMO and they are shooters, not collectors. No reason to believe they will be any different to the general public. I doubt they will affect the value of the unaltered relics.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    My mom recently had major surgery on her spine. The money would help out a lot right now.

Did she have a good outcome? seems like the results on spinal surgery are hit and miss.

Hope you didn't find my comment too snippy.

This past month I've been cleaning out "the farmhouse" It hasn't been occupied for 2 years. It's got multiple generations of "stuff" but not much value. That $1000 pistol is worth a pallet of this "stuff" sitting in my shed now. Pretty easy to store and enjoy that pistol and hand down to the next generation is what I'm getting at. And it's keeping up with inflation.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I wouldn't worry too much about those. IF it happens, those guns are reparkerized mix masters. Kind of ugly. I've seen quite a few get sent to PD's as part of the DRMO and they are shooters, not collectors. No reason to believe they will be any different to the general public. I doubt they will affect the value of the unaltered relics.

Agreed, but on here and elsewhere there seems to be a mentality similar to, "An LWRC AR isn't really an better than my $500 PSA", thus trying to devalue the high end AR. Same mentality will be in play when the CMP mix masters hit the market, "Why should I pay you $2500 for your Colt, when I can get a WWII 1911 from the CMP for $700 dollars?"

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Agreed, but on here and elsewhere there seems to be a mentality similar to, "An LWRC AR isn't really an better than my $500 PSA", thus trying to devalue the high end AR. Same mentality will be in play when the CMP mix masters hit the market, "Why should I pay you $2500 for your Colt, when I can get a WWII 1911 from the CMP for $700 dollars?"
    Ahhh, I gotcha.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

Question is, would one rather have a "mix master", or one where the SN's match?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Someone looking to collect? Sure. Someone looking for a cool "antique" to shoot? Not really. Just like there are those willing to pay for cherry, matched Garands for $3000, and those that just want to pony up $700 for a cool rifle to take to the range.

But I agree, you are more likely to find a home for this piece elsewhere.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A

Of course most people would want a numbers matching pistol. I just think when the CMP releases 100,000 USGI 1911's into the market, some of those will be numbers matching too. With the release of all those 1911's, as with high end AR's there will be a mentality of "this one will do everything that the more expensive will do." As you already know your best bet is to find the collector out there that wants a numbers matching 1911 for their collection.

Someone that doesn't want to shoot it. I would say most of the guys on this forum shoot their guns, and $2500 for a 1911, most would look at Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Nighthawk etc. and buy a high end 1911 with all the bells and whistles that they can show off at the range.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Of course most people would want a numbers matching pistol. I just think when the CMP releases 100,000 USGI 1911's into the market, some of those will be numbers matching too. With the release of all those 1911's, as with high end AR's there will be a mentality of "this one will do everything that the more expensive will do." As you already know your best bet is to find the collector out there that wants a numbers matching 1911 for their collection.

Someone that doesn't want to shoot it. I would say most of the guys on this forum shoot their guns, and $2500 for a 1911, most would look at Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Nighthawk etc. and buy a high end 1911 with all the bells and whistles that they can show off at the range.

I agree. But the nice thing about buying a more collectible gun VS a high end 1911 is that in a few years, the collectible gun will be worth more than the high end 1911.

It's more of an investment than a range toy.

It just depends on the buyer.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I agree. But the nice thing about buying a more collectible gun VS a high end 1911 is that in a few years, the collectible gun will be worth more than the high end 1911.

It's more of an investment than a range toy.

It just depends on the buyer.

Absolutely and your Colt will continue to go up in value, I'm just saying when 100,000 USGI 1911's come to market it will "hurt" that market for awhile.
    There will be a lot of people buying the cheaper ones to shoot, and the old guys hitting the CMP stores filtering out the all matching ones to flip for a quick buck, much like the ammo neck beards with .22 ammo.
    I truly hope you get it sold. I do think it is good to sell it now before all the other ones do hit the market.

Top Bottom