• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Plan is not to make it real nice and pretty. It was a light roll over, got a few dents and lost paint causing rust and not sealing up properly. I will check out that site. Problem with ordering and not being a business can sometimes be shipping.
    Plan on some simple trails with it but I do have a daughter almost 15 that really wants a wrangler so not going wild on up grades, probably just some oversize tires and nice wheels.

cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Anyone have a two row all metal radiator for a 96 xj laying around? Ordering one from work so I can wheel but I want a better one for the long run

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Ha, I said this also.

Plan on some simple trails

Now I am looking at lifting my XJ and putting it on 33's, have custom bumpers, and possibly looking at gears and lockers. Few years down the road I am looking at sliders and skid plates. Sliders won't do anything to protect my rocker panels now, they are all dented from rocks from "light trails".

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I saw a very nice 4-door toyota tacoma drive by tonight. Black, tinted dark windows, black wheels. Had a small lift with larger tires. VERY nice.

I'd be a little tempted to look more into the tacomas...

cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I'm planning on swapping an 8.8, regearing to 4.88 and locking front and rear. Anyone have any parts they're looking to get rid of? :D

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Rather annoyed at my ZJ. Died twice 3 days ago and then ran OK, now took a dump and won't light.
    Have to drag it in and have it checked out. I'm half deaf so fuel pumps and other I can't hear.
    Might be something minor, might be another fuel pump (replaced 6 yrs ago).

Tired of it.

Might get a pickup.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Well I jumped it for a few minutes (battery ran down trying to restart). Got it to light, and run rough, smooth out and then load up and die (ran 3 or 4 minutes with the RPMs held up).

Let it sit an hr and it restarted but then loaded up.

So tomorrow I'll change the ASD relay, the coil and if it still won't stay running.......have it towed home and look for a used PCM.

It gave me fits one yr, for about 8 episodes (just die and not start). Been fine for the last few yrs.

At least it's getting fuel. Could smell that even with allergies. If it didn't die in public I'd have shot it.

Having driven/repaired and rebuilt Jeeps for almost 20 yrs and this POS dying today............I'm just about done with 'em.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have been part searching for my 99TJ. Ordered a couple of free parts books from the interwebs and this being my first jeep I had no clue how many options there are for these things. For starters the hardtop had damage so I'm going to swap over to a soft top, they look pretty complicated to install but I am hoping it is easier than it looks. Could somebody tell me what the biggest size tire that will fit without a lift? Will the wheel offset make a big difference?
    Also what would be a good front bumper/winch set up? I want to get this thing off road.

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    I have been part searching for my 99TJ. Ordered a couple of free parts books from the interwebs and this being my first jeep I had no clue how many options there are for these things. For starters the hardtop had damage so I'm going to swap over to a soft top, they look pretty complicated to install but I am hoping it is easier than it looks. Could somebody tell me what the biggest size tire that will fit without a lift? Will the wheel offset make a big difference?
    Also what would be a good front bumper/winch set up? I want to get this thing off road.

Honestly...Just starting as you are. Use what you got before making changes. See how it works. Play with your new toy. Otherwise you squeeze a lil bigger tire on it and figure out that you really want a lift and 33s and you wasted money on the first tires. You can buy a basic winch plate that bolts to frame rails and have your recovery option, but wait on the bumper to see what you want/need/like. Stubby, midwidth, full size, stinger. They all have plusses and minuses.

Sucks to do things twice or more. You will likely be surprised what a stock TJ with no swaybars disco'ed will do, so try it then worry about the changes.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

Biggest tire on a stock TJ is 31x10.5.

The soft top install difficultly will depend on which soft top you choose. Bestop is the best. I love mine, and it took me a day to install it, but it wasn't hard, just time consuming.

Bumpers are a personal opinion. Some guys like the large "in your face" bumpers, some like the stingers, others prefer more of a low profile.

I like the Rokmen Mercenary, it's what I have. It's low profile, and has a built in winch plate.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Drug the POS home and changed the coil- old one was swollen on one side, so definitely the possible culprit.
    Couldn't budge the phillips screws holding it. And couldn't access all bracket bolts to just yank the whole thing due to other crap in the way.
    Remembered I had some of those helical grabber deals and used one to get the factory sh*t screws out. Luckily in my junk box I had 6 point replacements (hint: whenever you buy bolts for any project, buy extras ............I usually double buy whatever I need immediately).

Saved my butt again.

Well maybe.

Battery needs jumped again, might be toast. Witch and pup at doctor so no jump til after work tonight.

No go today, even with starting fluid. Reseated/cleaned PCM connector, no burn spots. So.............if no go tonight it's probably the dreaded PCM deal. No codes flash except 1-2..............for unhooked battery within 50 starts. PCM won't set a code either. Can get replacement PCM, rebuilt, with warranty for $205 or less.
    If the battery is now smoked we're looking at $300 to get it rolling again.

I got a case of beer for tonight's midnight wrenching. Am more mellow now. Dead away from home really p*sses me off. Rare occurance and never a prob on my old CJ's.................I always got those POS's home. Sometimes slow and barely, but got them there.

New crap w sensors etc....................sucks b*lls.

Low V will set off security, but that's not what's going on (can reset it when jumping). Swapped ASD relay for known good and same deal.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Honestly...Just starting as you are. Use what you got before making changes. See how it works. Play with your new toy. Otherwise you squeeze a lil bigger tire on it and figure out that you really want a lift and 33s and you wasted money on the first tires. You can buy a basic winch plate that bolts to frame rails and have your recovery option, but wait on the bumper to see what you want/need/like. Stubby, midwidth, full size, stinger. They all have plusses and minuses.

Sucks to do things twice or more. You will likely be surprised what a stock TJ with no swaybars disco'ed will do, so try it then worry about the changes.
    I know I am not going to lift it, this will be what my oldest daughter drives when she her license in a year and like her mom she is short. The tires on it now are shot so I have to replace them before I can get it on the road. I see jeeps can be a money pit but I think I did good on the purchase, it was a rollover so it needs hood, fenders, top but it's a 99 with the 4.0 and auto tran, 118,000 miles and the title is clean, I got it for 2,500. I am thinking another 2,500-3,500 to get the body parts I need, paint job and tires and I will have a nice clean toy until she turns 16. Plus it will be a good opportunity to teach her how to work on her own car.
    I do already have a lifted truck that is my toy, 2008 Nissan Titan pro 4x crew cab, she is just too pretty to go beat up on any hard trails.
    Another question, how do the removable doors work, mine has the full doors, is it just a matter of swapping out the door hinges?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    On your full doors, just remove the 2 nuts on each door on the hinge, and pull the doors right off. If it's stubborn, you can use a jack to help out.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Also, when you do get the doors off, if they are difficult getting off, put a little lithium grease on the pins before you put them back off. It'll make it easier the next time they come off.

Top Bottom