• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hey guys. I have an 87 yj that had the 4.0 conversion done to it. Well I ran through a "puddle" a little too deep for my britches so now I need a new motor and someone to put it in for me. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Look on Craigslist. There is a guy the advertises rebuilt engines. If not YJ check Cherokee.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Fixed it for you... And, wow, kind of like going into a 1911 thread and posting a picture of a Glock (which I also own). I drive a Yota too, but... the boys in the jeep thread may not like this. :stickpoke:

Here is my Jeep recovery vehicle!

photo41_zps70231321.jpg

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    So it's not fun getting a baby seat out of a TJ in the pouring rain.

I can believe that. My extended cab Silverado is a pain. I'm still eyeing 2-door JK's to replace my Silverado, but it has me pondering the Unlimited models now that loading up the family includes securing a tiny person in a car seat and isn't just letting the dog jump in the back.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Car seats are easy in an unlimited.

I like the JKU's, but here's the problem with them:

The 3.8 sucks.
    The 3.6 is the engine to get.
    2012's had head problems.
    2013's and up are too expensive.

Although I did find a 2013, with around 80,000 miles. And it's a stick. 3.21 gearing though. Around $23k.

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    I like the JKU's, but here's the problem with them:

The 3.8 sucks.
    The 3.6 is the engine to get.
    2012's had head problems.
    2013's and up are too expensive.

Although I did find a 2013, with around 80,000 miles. And it's a stick. 3.21 gearing though. Around $23k.

Nail on the head.

Oh yea.... You all remember that tiny CJ, right?

20170325_173258_zpsf4m0pzih.jpg

It now got an owner as of about 4 weeks ago! :D

20170326_185812_zps1evd6ucr.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My wife is in love with her JK Unlimited. The 3.21 gears worried me, but it has plenty of pep with the stock tires. Child seats fit just fine, and the cargo area is actually pretty large. Ain't cheap, though. Plan to keep this one for a LONG while. The JK is a world different from my TJ. Rides SO much better.

For those of you looking at child seats and 2-door vehicles: look at the seats with the detachable base. The bassinet just snaps in/out. Had one in my TJ when the kiddo was little, and it worked great.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My wife is in love with her JK Unlimited. The 3.21 gears worried me, but it has plenty of pep with the stock tires. Child seats fit just fine, and the cargo area is actually pretty large. Ain't cheap, though. Plan to keep this one for a LONG while. The JK is a world different from my TJ. Rides SO much better.

For those of you looking at child seats and 2-door vehicles: look at the seats with the detachable base. The bassinet just snaps in/out. Had one in my TJ when the kiddo was little, and it worked great.

I have the base in the back seat now. I love it. I can't imagine trying to fasten the baby seat without it.

Any idea how the 3.21 gearing would work with 33" tires?

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Price Check

Hello Jeep fans, this is my first post in this subforum, but hopefully not my last. My parents are jumping head first into the newer Jeep world and are going to test drive a couple in the morning. I personally scoured the internet for several months before I bought my truck, but they are doing all this in a less than a week. Right now they have a 1979 CJ that is in working condition, but are constantly worried about driving long distances. They are looking at a 2013 Wrangler Sport 5 speed automatic with 27k miles. It has Nitto TerraGrapplers 295/55r20, Rockstar rims, and a Hardtop on it which all add some value. What does everyone think a fair price should be on one like this? Also are there any obvious things to look for when buying a used Jeep outside of the normal wear?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Hello Jeep fans, this is my first post in this subforum, but hopefully not my last. My parents are jumping head first into the newer Jeep world and are going to test drive a couple in the morning. I personally scoured the internet for several months before I bought my truck, but they are doing all this in a less than a week. Right now they have a 1979 CJ that is in working condition, but are constantly worried about driving long distances. They are looking at a 2013 Wrangler Sport 5 speed automatic with 27k miles. It has Nitto TerraGrapplers 295/55r20, Rockstar rims, and a Hardtop on it which all add some value. What does everyone think a fair price should be on one like this? Also are there any obvious things to look for when buying a used Jeep outside of the normal wear?

With that low of mileage, wear shouldn't be much of an issue. Look underneath to see if it has been offroad much. Rust in the exhaust from not being driven much, and ask about oil change records (only changed 5-6 times by mileage, but hopefully a lot more by age).

Here is a list of recalls to check as well:
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Recalls, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Recall List | Autobytel.com

What are they doing with the old CJ?

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Well they ended up buying it yesterday for a fair price judging by CarGurus. The old one is likely getting sold within a month or so. Still on the fence about needing 2 jeeps. It's a CJ7 with an '83 4.2L engine, 3 speed transmission, and a fiberglass body. For the age, it is in pretty good shape IMO. I'll try and post some pics of the new and the old soon!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom