• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yep, they've done good work for me. They put new ball joints on my Jeep (much better than stock) and they've done the alignment on my 1999 Mercedes E430, which requires special equipment and knowledge of that platform. They did it perfectly. They also did other maintenance on the car and properly reset the maintenance reminder, which very few shops can do. They also flushed/filled the cooling system and used the correct coolant, which was Zerex G-05. (I've had other shops try and tell me that wasn't necessary, even though Mercedes specifies it for very specific and important reasons.) They have taken care of that fairly uncommon and old car with peculiar needs in a way that shows they know what they are doing.

I highly recommend them.

Well, I'm finally taking it to them for the Bilstein's to be installed and an alignment after. I picked them up last week and took it to my independent mechanic early this week for the install and after saying he could do it, he kept it for a couple of days and then decided he wasn't too interested in tackling the Toyota suspension. Called and made an appt at Raymond's for Thursday this week, so hopefully it will be all good.

I picked up the struts/shocks at 4 Wheel Parts as they had the best price. Had I known I was going to have Raymond's do the install, probably would have looked at having them get the parts.

If they do well on this, I'm sure I'll have them do additional work in the future.

Update: Got it in yesterday and got it back last evening. They got me all taken care of and knew exactly what they were doing. Added a couple of items to the list so it ran a bit more than initially thought but not tremendously. I had some uneven braking that I had them check and they machined all 4 rotors and that seems to have gotten rid of that issue.

They had to heat the the top nut on the front end struts, so that caused the top strut mounts to have to be replaced, but again, Raymond's contacted me on each item and got it all done. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Alignment seems good. They did not give me the specs when I was in the shop to pick it up (I was in a bit of a hurry), so I called today and they emailed me a picture of the alignment specs.

Put the Bilstein's on the 3rd notch on the front and it seems to have really leveled it out, picking me up about 2 inches on each front corner.

Thanks again for the reference Principal Skinr. I had been a bit hesitant after stopping in and talking to them, but I think that day I just got the wrong person. This time they knew exactly what I was after, understood how to do it, and used the parts I brought in with no concerns. Only took me a year from your recommendation to get myself in gear to get it done.

Last edited:

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    I was tire kicking a JK. Mileage is right, engine is right (3.6), and the price is right; however, it has the gawdawful steel wheels and 29's so I'm sure it'll also have the 3.22 gear ratio. Weels and tires are easy to change. I could even snag a set of JK takeoffs for 500 - 600 it seems, but how bad would the 3.22 ratio be on an automatic JK if I go with a 33" or so tire?

They also had a WK2 Grand Cherokee with leather and a bunch of buttons. That one is actually kind of tempting too and the price seems quite reasonable, but the mileage at 89k is a bit higher than I would care for.

Hmmm.....

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you're worried about gear ratio, I've got a friend that is very reasonable and very qualified (he works for Dana).

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I was tire kicking a JK. Mileage is right, engine is right (3.6), and the price is right; however, it has the gawdawful steel wheels and 29's so I'm sure it'll also have the 3.22 gear ratio. Weels and tires are easy to change. I could even snag a set of JK takeoffs for 500 - 600 it seems, but how bad would the 3.22 ratio be on an automatic JK if I go with a 33" or so tire?

They also had a WK2 Grand Cherokee with leather and a bunch of buttons. That one is actually kind of tempting too and the price seems quite reasonable, but the mileage at 89k is a bit higher than I would care for.

Hmmm.....

It's actually a 3.21 ratio :)

With the 3.6, and 3.21, it wouldn't be horrible with 33's. 3.73 would be better, but those are hard to find. Obviously, a lower gear is always better.

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    If you're worried about gear ratio, I've got a friend that is very reasonable and very qualified (he works for Dana).
    Noted! My Dad and I have regewred and rebuilt a few axles, but I'd probably be leery about busting into a newer daily driver like that myself now.

It's actually a 3.21 ratio :)

With the 3.6, and 3.21, it wouldn't be horrible with 33's. 3.73 would be better, but those are hard to find. Obviously, a lower gear is always better.
    Ah! I'm off my game. That's good to know though. I just remember how awful my YJ on 33's with a 3.07 ratio was before I regeared down to 4.10.

It would mainly be a daily driver for myself. I still hope to keep my YJ for shenanigans for the time being.

The Grand Cherokee they had is still tempting though. That's the one the Mrs is lobbying for.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    With the 3.6, you have more HP. So I wouldn't be afraid to run 33's with a 3.21 ratio. But if you plan on going with 35's, you'll want to regear. Heck even with a 3.73 ratio, with the 3.6 engine, I'd still want to regear for 35's.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    So on Saturday I installed a 3.5" lift on my JKU.

ClaysJKU.jpg

Now I need wheels and tires and I'm struggling and would like your help. I've got the wheels picked out:

Moto Metal 970 with grey centers:

18722691_1352377124850761_2320023157274050560_n.jpg

but I'm having issues with wheel size. I'm going to a 35x12.50 tire, but I can't decide if I want to stay with the 17" wheels, or go to a 20". Sometimes I really like the look of a 20 and I like the look of this wheel in a 20 with 37" tires, but I'm affaid a 35" might be to little side wheel for looks, and for wheeling.

plus my tire options are limited with a 20" wheel. Plenty of options in 17".

thoughts!?!

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    With the 3.6, you have more HP. So I wouldn't be afraid to run 33's with a 3.21 ratio. But if you plan on going with 35's, you'll want to regear. Heck even with a 3.73 ratio, with the 3.6 engine, I'd still want to regear for 35's.

I remember test driving a few WK2 Grand Cherokees with the 3.6 when my wife was car shopping and I was pleasantly surprised by how they behaved. It was nothing like driving a WJ with the 4.0. IF I went with the JK, It would probably be a LONG time before it saw 35's or more. I was browsing craigslist and saw several good options from JK Sport or Sahara model take-off wheels and tires.

Right now the WK2 might have the edge over a 2 door JK. I'm tempted by the one I looked at this weekend. Mileage is a bit higher (80K), but it's quite a bit cheaper than the JK I was considering and the room would be nice for the family (3 month old and a pit-bull). A 4-door JK (with the 3.6) is definitely going to be out of the budget for a while.... I might also be able to take some of the cost savings of this WK2 vs the JK and get my old YJ back up to par. :cool:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So on Saturday I installed a 3.5" lift on my JKU.

ClaysJKU.jpg

Now I need wheels and tires and I'm struggling and would like your help. I've got the wheels picked out:

Moto Metal 970 with grey centers:

18722691_1352377124850761_2320023157274050560_n.jpg

but I'm having issues with wheel size. I'm going to a 35x12.50 tire, but I can't decide if I want to stay with the 17" wheels, or go to a 20". Sometimes I really like the look of a 20 and I like the look of this wheel in a 20 with 37" tires, but I'm affaid a 35" might be to little side wheel for looks, and for wheeling.

plus my tire options are limited with a 20" wheel. Plenty of options in 17".

thoughts!?!

I'd stick with 17's. IMO, jeeps are horrid looking with anything larger than 17's.
    Also, it's going to take $$$ to run 37's.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    So wheels and tires showed up Friday!

JKUlifted.jpg

I went with the 17". It will be much better when aired down!

Now it's time for bumpers, fenders, gears, lockers, etc.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Find a reputable local shop, IMHO. Not sure who that would be up in your area. We use Mears Automotive out here.

If you are handy with a wrench, have an hour to kill, space to work (driveway is fine), and a few hand tools, changing the transmission fluid and filter isn't all that hard. MUCH cheaper to do it yourself, too.
    https://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/jeep-jk-wrangler-42rle-automatic-transmission-service

BTW: I'd drain and refill the transfercase while you are at it. It uses the same ATF4 fluid, and has the same mileage on it as the transmission. If one needs the change, the other likely does as well. It is even easier....
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...rangler-NV-241-NV-241OR-Transfer-Case-Service

Top Bottom