• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Can't say anyting about Bill Estes, because I have no experience there. What I can say is that the guys at Westgate have treated me like I'm important to them. I couldn't ask for more. My salesman even went out and checked on it when it was there overnight and sent me a text telling me it looked great.

I can't say enough about those folks. Here are a couple more pictures. I'm taking it to Manistee, Michigan, next weekend for a snowmobiling trip. I'll get LOTS of highway time in it and hopefully, will run into some good snow.

bmD9zpn.jpg
    bkLs27t.jpg

Last edited:

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Just a little info / if you haven't figured it out already / JK owners, from 2007 to 2012 / once your engine gets around 100,000 miles / keep an eye on the dipstick / famous for consuming about a quart a month

Wife's mini van has the 4.0 V-6 (glorified bigger JK motor) consumes a quart a month - dealer told me this was "normal"....damn Daimler, Mercedes flunkies!!!!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Just a little info / if you haven't figured it out already / JK owners, from 2007 to 2012 / once your engine gets around 100,000 miles / keep an eye on the dipstick / famous for consuming about a quart a month

Wife's mini van has the 4.0 V-6 (glorified bigger JK motor) consumes a quart a month - dealer told me this was "normal"....damn Daimler, Mercedes flunkies!!!!

Those 3.8 engines are notorious for that. Mine started it at 40k and used up to 1 quart per 1,000 miles until about 115,000. I switched to Mobil 1 HM 5w30, and that reduced it to about 1/2 quart per 1,000. Then, all of a sudden, it stopped using oil. The last 5,000 miles, it hasn't used a drop. I'm scratching my head over it. Anyway, it has always run as good as new, so I've not worried too much about it. My brother had a 3.8 in his mini van that used about a quart per 1,000 for most of its life. He sold it with 225,000 on it and it ran good as new, but still used oil.

I'd love to know what causes it. There are probably 20 theories out there. Some of them never use a drop, but others use like mine did. My engine has a lifetime warranty, and the Jeep dealer told me if it gets to 1 quart per 1,000, they'll pull the engine and fix or replace it. I didn't do it when it got right there because it still ran perfectly. One area of suspicion is the PCV valve. One time I replaced it and the oil usage dropped from 1 quart to 1/2. Also, when changing spark plugs, the piston nearest the PCV had much more crud on it than the others. However, the recent drop to zero consumption came with no change in the PCV valve. Also, the 2 valves I changed out felt and sounded like they were functioning just fine. WTF?!?

Anyway, as long as it runs great, and for a long time, I won't complain. I've seen these things with 300,000 miles on them.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Lol, I do, too. I sit in the garage doorway and stare at it. Of course, I did that with my old YJ and Jk, too. This is the first one with 35's, though. I remember when I put 30's on my YJ. I thought they were huge! Lol!

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Those 3.8 engines are notorious for that. Mine started it at 40k and used up to 1 quart per 1,000 miles until about 115,000. I switched to Mobil 1 HM 5w30, and that reduced it to about 1/2 quart per 1,000. Then, all of a sudden, it stopped using oil. The last 5,000 miles, it hasn't used a drop. I'm scratching my head over it. Anyway, it has always run as good as new, so I've not worried too much about it. My brother had a 3.8 in his mini van that used about a quart per 1,000 for most of its life. He sold it with 225,000 on it and it ran good as new, but still used oil.

I'd love to know what causes it. There are probably 20 theories out there. Some of them never use a drop, but others use like mine did. My engine has a lifetime warranty, and the Jeep dealer told me if it gets to 1 quart per 1,000, they'll pull the engine and fix or replace it. I didn't do it when it got right there because it still ran perfectly. One area of suspicion is the PCV valve. One time I replaced it and the oil usage dropped from 1 quart to 1/2. Also, when changing spark plugs, the piston nearest the PCV had much more crud on it than the others. However, the recent drop to zero consumption came with no change in the PCV valve. Also, the 2 valves I changed out felt and sounded like they were functioning just fine. WTF?!?

Anyway, as long as it runs great, and for a long time, I won't complain. I've seen these things with 300,000 miles on them.

The theory that I have is long, but the short version is that Chrysler in an attempt to get their fuel economy numbers up switched the oil viscosity from 10w-30 to 5w-20. This is normal for manufacturers to do this, but they normally tighten up their tolerances to take advantage of the thinner oil. Chrysler did not do that. The 3.8 has the same piston to wall clearance, piston ring gap and bearing clearance specs from 1999 to 2010. If you have one of the 3.8 engines, switch to 10w-30 non-synthetic asap.

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    Those purists!

Hey now. Lets hold on there. The hard top on my Cherokee keeps people out of my gun and rod racks very nicely thank you. And my Grand Cherokee will carry an entire PRS team and their gear to the backside of Whittington or two brace of bird hunters and their dogs. Try that in a CJ.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I've been watching some videos on these new LJs. While they lack in the simplicity of the old school CJs that I love so much (like the one I'm building in my garage) they seem very capable, and the way they have been designed inside they are right up there with any modern SUV, almost like a Suburban. If I could swing 50 grand I'd be very tempted. VERY. Not for a hard core trail rig, but for a do-it-all daily driver.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    The theory that I have is long, but the short version is that Chrysler in an attempt to get their fuel economy numbers up switched the oil viscosity from 10w-30 to 5w-20. This is normal for manufacturers to do this, but they normally tighten up their tolerances to take advantage of the thinner oil. Chrysler did not do that. The 3.8 has the same piston to wall clearance, piston ring gap and bearing clearance specs from 1999 to 2010. If you have one of the 3.8 engines, switch to 10w-30 non-synthetic asap.

5w20 spec is due to the MDS system. The solenoids that activate/deactivate to turn the lifters on/off need the thinner oil to function properly.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    yup, you're right!! that was the reason it was changed on the MDS engines, figured it might be related. I do know the 3.8L will be slightly better mileage with 5w20 vs. 10w30

Slightly better mileage beats greatly increased chance for spun bearings every time! Lol

On the flip side, I guess I wouldn't have made all that money swapping engines in vans and JKs if Chrysler put the correct oil in them.....

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Slightly better mileage beats greatly increased chance for spun bearings every time! Lol

On the flip side, I guess I wouldn't have made all that money swapping engines in vans and JKs if Chrysler put the correct oil in them.....

I don't think that is a problem. The difference between a 5w20 and 5w or even 10w is not that great. Plus, a high quality 5w20 synthetic will outperform a 10w30 conventional oil. Mine had nothing but synthetic in it since 1,000 miles. Changing weights didn't do much, either. Going to Mobil 1 High Mileage made the most difference, but now that it has stopped consumption, it has been run on Mopar 5w20 and Mobil 1 HM 5w30. No difference.

Many, many of these engines have been run for over 200k on 5w20, with no issue. Some who went right to 10w30 started using oil early on. I just don't see the pattern for it to be oil weight. That said, I also can't tell you exactly what it is or isn't. The evidence with my engine is thin, but still points to the PCV and/or upper oil pan gasket. That oil pan gasket was changed just before it quit consuming.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Finally, my Hardrock wheels came from Quadratec! (17x8), so I put the factory 33" KO2's from my JL on them and threw them on the old JK, giving it a new look! Man, these things ride better than the KM2's, which served me very well, btw, and lasted a long time. These will do much better in snow, for sure.

AmMaGY9.jpg

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Finally, my Hardrock wheels came from Quadratec! (17x8), so I put the factory 33" KO2's from my JL on them and threw them on the old JK, giving it a new look! Man, these things ride better than the KM2's, which served me very well, btw, and lasted a long time. These will do much better in snow, for sure.

AmMaGY9.jpg
    Your "old" JK is pretty snazzy too, Principal Skinr!!!!!! I like the trail badges by the trail rated badge. It gives it the veteran WW2 look for enemy planes shot down!!!!!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Yep, the KO2's are nice. The set on my FJ have been great. Definitely a nice looking jeep.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Your "old" JK is pretty snazzy too, Principal Skinr!!!!!! I like the trail badges by the trail rated badge. It gives it the veteran WW2 look for enemy planes shot down!!!!!

Lol, yeah, one more and I'm an ace! I've got to get down to Redbird and get the 2 or 3 there!

Yep, the old girl is holding up very well. It rides much better than with the KM2s and is quieter, too. Loved the KM2's, as they were beasts off road, but I feel like these are going to be much better all around, and still pretty darned good off road.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I'll have to get a pic of my 2004 Unlimited "puddle hopper". We're flooded again, but the new old speed boat (2004 Unlimited" has been driving down our lane thru the 10" to 14" of water, no problem. I'm running BFG 33" on a 2" suspension lift, barely gets the rear axle wet.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pistolpete68
    Top Bottom