• ...and so much more!
  • Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    jLNcHT6.jpg

I love the Fall. Looking forward to winter is making me want to bump windshield wipers higher up on the list, dig out one of the heaters, find a suitable defrost tube, and research fabricating a set of bows for the old vinyl top I have laying around.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    jLNcHT6.jpg

I love the Fall. Looking forward to winter is making me want to bump windshield wipers higher up on the list, dig out one of the heaters, find a suitable defrost tube, and research fabricating a set of bows for the old vinyl top I have laying around.

Very nice! My friend sent me a picture of his 1941. He said it won't be ready until spring.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I think I want to do a leveling kit and run 33’s. I’d be underpowered with 35’s. I’m not sure if I want a spacer kit or a coil spring kit. I’m just looking at the 1.5” kits.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Shoot, I think you may have mentioned that previously. I forget that 4.10 was standard in the TJ's, but changed in the JKs.

I see why they stopped on 3.73, now. That is the carrier break for the Dana 44.

I didn’t know that was the carrier break. Shoot.

I have 285/70/17’s on it right now, and it’s perfect. So I’m trying to decide if it would be worth going to 33’s. It wouldn’t be that much of a jump.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

When I made the switch from a crew cab to a wrangler, the hardest part of it for me was giving up my truck bed. I love my wrangler JL, but this will likely be my next vehicle some day. The good part is that I'll have my JL long enough that hopefully they'll have the bugs worked out of the wrangler pickup before I buy one. I could not agree more with the statement of not buying a first year model of this new Jeep. New designs take time to wok out the bugs. I thought they had most of it worked out on the JK after all the years rolling those improvements into the JL and now all of sudden people have recall notices on JL's for missing or messed up welds. I'm really excited to see this wrangler truck though. That's a hard combo to beat for any outdoorsman.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I’m definitely interested. About time they put a diesel in a Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We cast the transmission cases and they are low volume. I keep telling them to increase the numbers since almost everyone who loves Jeep has always dreamed of diesel. They won't listen to me.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    We cast the transmission cases and they are low volume. I keep telling them to increase the numbers since almost everyone who loves Jeep has always dreamed of diesel. They won't listen to me.

They only downside I see according to the article is the diesels will only have automatic transmissions. Maybe I’m old school, but I prefer manual for jeeps.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I wouldn't worry about the first year. It is mostly a JL, and my JL was among the first batch off the line in December of 2017. I've got almost 14k miles on it without a single issue. The quality, fit, and finish are outstanding. I've ridden it pretty hard off-road, too, including an October trip to Colorado and Moab. These things are solid. Mine is a 3.6 with manual transmission and even with 35's, it has plenty of power. The 3.6 is smooth, quiet, reliable, and has a rep for lasting a long time. That diesel is sweet, though. But it will be ridiculously expensive to buy, and to maintain.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I wouldn't worry about the first year. ... That diesel is sweet, though. But it will be ridiculously expensive to buy, and to maintain.

Are you speaking of the diesel being expensive to buy and maintain? Or the whole vehicle?

In either case, more so than any similar light truck?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I was speaking about the diesel, but really the whole thing is expensive, although the V6 is easy to maintain. It only holds 5 quarts of oil and the filters are cheap, and it goes 7k to 11k between oil changes. With the current rebate, you could put a jug of Pennzoil Platinum in there with a good 6 dollar filter for about 20 bucks.

The diesel is going to be $5k to $6k more than a V6/manual, on the sticker, and has added maintenance costs. Oil changes, for example, are a bit more expensive, with the dealer quoting about $150. Plus, they won't be so easy to get. Dealers will charge a premium for them. I got my Jeep for about 4% or so below invoice, which took about $5k off the sticker. No way you get that deal on a diesel. They'll be in high demand. So, if they get sticker for it, you may actually pay $10k more for it. We will see what plays out, but I'm betting that becomes the reality. I thought about waiting for the diesel Wrangler, but that math, the delay (it still isn't out) and the lack of a manual put me onto the V6, and I've had no regrets. Also, a buddy with a diesel Ford told me maintenance is expensive.

That V6 is sweet, however, and the manual is smooth as silk. It has one of the smoothest, nicest feeling shifting actions of any vehicle I've owned or driven. The clutch is outstanding, too, even after hours and hours of crawling on trails. It really is too bad you can't get the diesel with this manual.

The favor of that diesel, though is the massive torque. 440lbs would yank that Jeep around like a rag doll. 240hp isn't way off the gas engines, either. (270 for the 4 and 285 for the 6). I can't imagine a Rubicon with it's 4:1 crawl ratio combined with that torque. It'd feel like it could pull a building off its foundation. The 3 liter Ecodiesel from Jeep/Ram puts others in the class to shame, power wise. Compare it to Chevy's 4 cyl diesel in the Colorado. Big difference.

Last edited:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I was speaking about the diesel, but really the whole thing is expensive, although the V6 is easy to maintain. It only holds 5 quarts of oil and the filters are cheap, and it goes 7k to 11k between oil changes. With the current rebate, you could put a jug of Pennzoil Platinum in there with a good 6 dollar filter for about 20 bucks.

The diesel is going to be $5k to $6k more than a V6/manual, on the sticker, and has added maintenance costs. Oil changes, for example, are a bit more expensive, with the dealer quoting about $150. Plus, they won't be so easy to get. Dealers will charge a premium for them. I got my Jeep for about 4% or so below invoice, which took about $5k off the sticker. No way you get that deal on a diesel. They'll be in high demand. So, if they get sticker for it, you may actually pay $10k more for it. We will see what plays out, but I'm betting that becomes the reality. I thought about waiting for the diesel Wrangler, but that math, the delay (it still isn't out) and the lack of a manual put me onto the V6, and I've had no regrets. Also, a buddy with a diesel Ford told me maintenance is expensive.

That V6 is sweet, however, and the manual is smooth as silk. It has one of the smoothest, nicest feeling shifting actions of any vehicle I've owned or driven. The clutch is outstanding, too, even after hours and hours of crawling on trails. It really is too bad you can't get the diesel with this manual.

The favor of that diesel, though is the massive torque. 440lbs would yank that Jeep around like a rag doll. 240hp isn't way off the gas engines, either. (270 for the 4 and 285 for the 6). I can't imagine a Rubicon with it's 4:1 crawl ratio combined with that torque. It'd feel like it could pull a building off its foundation. The 3 liter Ecodiesel from Jeep/Ram puts others in the class to shame, power wise. Compare it to Chevy's 4 cyl diesel in the Colorado. Big difference.

Can’t disagree with you on vehicle pricing and availability. Was not aware of higher maintenance cost on a diesel.

I had a Wrangler Sahara trim that I bought new in ‘96. TJ model. It had a 4.0L engine and a manual 6 iirc. That drivetrain made it pretty responsive on the highway and off-road. Really loved that car! Only downside to me was the gas mileage! The suspension gave a great ride - not a sports car or sedan but IMO was the best of its class. It was a first-year car but I had no issues with it. Didn’t sell it until 2011. Drove it to Camp Jeep in “Camp Hale” Colorado in ‘98. Best vacation I ever had. Camped out of the Jeep in the NF with one of my sons. Memories...

Never could understand why Jeep didn’t put a diesel in the Wrangler. That seems to have been a Holy Grail thing with Jeep enthusiasts.

I’ll give some thought to the Gladiator, if and when it comes out. While I’m interested in the diesel, I’ll probably go gas and manual. Auto in a Jeep? WTH?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My wife saw this the other day. Looks like we are waiting until NEXT fall to get another vehicle.;) Had hoped they would release as a 2019 this winter, but, darn...

Been casually looking at JLs, now that a few are coming up on the used lots and the new-ness is wearing off of the brand new ones. But, the Gladiator checks a whole lot of boxes for us. Would look pretty slick on a set of 37's, spare in the bed, little rack up top for the canoe, and a little mud on the tires.

Are they making 1/2 doors (with uppers) for the JL yet? I'd prefer doorless, but my better half needs something between her and the world (and other drivers).

I've been paying myself a car payment ever since I sold my TJ, so waiting another year works out better financially. In the meantime, I'll live vicariously thru the good Principal.

Top Bottom