• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Well, I’m getting pretty darn close to being an official Jeeper! This is technically the third Jeep I’ve owned, the other two being an ‘83 Cherokee and an ‘83 CJ5, but neither of them ever made it past project level to driver...

This one, a 97 TJ has been sitting in my garage for over 4 years but ito really close to getting on the road. I got it from a buddy minus tranny, thpransfer case, skid plate and drive shafts. No luck finding an original tranny so I ‘upgraded’ to an AW4 out of a Cherokee. It’s got a tummy tuck skid plate and I fit a mega short slip yoke eliminator to the T-case to help with rear drive shaft length. It sat in a mostly finished state for over three years but a couple months ago, I bit the bullet and had a high school buddy come get it and he finished up a bunch of the details. He finished up the tranny mounting, shifters for the tranny and T-case, motor mount lift, had driveshafts faded up to proper length, adjustable upper control arms for the rear diff. He rigged up the neutral safety switch so it’ll start and run. He drove it around his place a little and now I’ve taken it for a couple laps around the neighborhood. I’m building a new wiring harness for the AW4’s computer so it’ll shift like it should. I’m also adding in a switch to lock it into 1st gear when I get it out wheeling. I’ve still got some stuff to do but it’s getting very close. Last week I got a new wiper motor installed, the winch installed and wired up, bumper locked down. I’m waiting on a couple plugs to finish the wiring harness and it’ll be ready to test drive some. I’ve got seat covers and a new top to install. It’s got 33-10.50’s on it and I want to get a matching 5th tire for the spare and a new rear bumper with a hitch and recovery points. It’s got less than 92,000 miles on it so I think it’s got lots of life in it! Considering it’s been sitting for 15 years, it fired up and runs great.

Great looking Jeep! Just a baby at 92k!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    My JL is going under the knife this week. It has a steering shimmy when hitting bumps at 40+mph. It went to full death wobble on one bump. They have new part numbers for the drag link/pitman arm joint, as well as the track bar. I've inspected it closely and it appears there is too much play with the mounts for both. I've read that they've revised the busings on the track bar and there's a new part for the drag link connection. There are also new alignment specs.

Hopefully the parts won't be back ordered too long. It'll be ok, though, if they give me something nice to drive, which they usually do. I wouldn't mind a Cherokee Trailhawk or Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk. I've got a highway trip coming up in a couple weeks. Heck, I'd even take a Pacifica, for that!

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Great looking Jeep! Just a baby at 92k!

Thank you! I’ve got a new black top to install once it warms up a bit. Black seat covers too, so it’ll be sort of a Black and Tan! Yep, with the low miles, I hope she’s got lots of life left in her!

I got the winch mounted properly and wired up and the bumper locked down. Tore the multi function switch apart and cleaned the nastiness out of it and now have functioning tune signals and flashers!

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Got my 20 Gal Aluminum fuel tank and custom skidplate installed in the CJ7 project today.

NfIt22g.jpg

KDatWDw.jpg

nFc5qub.jpg

WlDB2Lk.jpg

Really want to get the fresh trans and t-case put back with it's engine, and figure out where the mounts will go, but I'm out of time. Got VFW fish fry tomorrow, and Barstool golf Sat. Have to go when you're the commander... Shoulder surgery Tues. (Thanks to the VA for wasting the winter months.) Guess I'll have to wait for a couple months to heal up before I do any Jeep related stuff unless I can find some small one handed stuff to tinker with.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Jeep related... This is the new hole I just built for my VFW for Barstool Golf in the morning.

ff7au6D.jpg

I took the fenders, grill, and hood from my old CJ5, and did a M38A1 like paint job on it. The bumper numbers are VFW Post 1279 rather than unit, and vehicle number. They came off the Jeep that the drivetrain came off I'm using for this build I'm doing right now. I was going to keep them as spares in case I bang one up on the trail, but they weren't that great anyhow, and being the VFW Commander kinda means you do a bit more... so I donated them.

Rst7fCQ.jpg

qoBxyMd.jpg

2DViOO1.jpg

When the hole isn't set up we put the dog house under this wood carving as a display. We already got lots of remarks on it tonight at the fish fry.

nDUzqEM.jpg

The hole goes up on end, and rolls away for easy storage in one big piece.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I finished up my tranny wiring harness the other night and gotnit all I staled today. Didn’t get a chance to take it for a test run, but it did start up, which means the neutral safety switch is wired right! I did pull it a few feet forward and it engaged first when I put it in Drive, something it didn’t do without the harness. Redid the sockets to get front marker lights working and am working on the spare tire spacer. I welded a 3/4” washer to it so I could put in a red LED as a third brake light that will shine through the wheel. Lastly I called and ordered a new spare tire to match the 33-10.50-15 Mud Terrains that are on the other four wheels.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I spent a couple evenings last week and all day today working on my son's 04 WJ. We put in a new water pump, serpentine belt, upper/lower radiator hoses, new Zerex G05 coolant and 4 of 8 spark plugs. Man, I'm tired! We're trying to cure a slightly rough idle with new spark plugs. I found a hose that had come disconnected from the intake, so maybe that's part of the issue. The old plugs, though, don't look too bad. I was expecting them to be the originals, but I don't see how they could be, since they are not platinum plugs. They look like they've been in there 30k, or maybe 40k if this Jeep is easy on plugs, which it just might be. Anyway, I am putting two new coil overs on the very rear plugs, just to cover bases and because I really don't want to get back in there again for 40k miles or so. The ones coming out still look like they'd be good, with no cracking or signs of issues, so I'll keep them around as spares.

Anyway, tomorrow we'll get the other 4 plugs and the rear coil over changed out and we'll see where we are. We've still got LOTS to do to this old girl. The list includes transmission fluid/filter change, possible oil pan gasket or (gulp) rear main seal, transfer case rear output shaft seal, pull diff covers and re-seal them with new RTV, and check spring pads. We'll then hit any rust spots underneath with Rustoleum Rust Reformer, and then we'll hit nooks and crannies and everything else with a coat of Fluid Film sometime in the fall. Oh yeah, we've also got to do brake pads, change out the brake fluid, diagnose leaky hoses on the power steering, then change that fluid, too.

As far as mods, I've got front tow hooks on the way, we'll put a new gas tank skid plate on (rust), will look for a hitch, then 2" spacer lift, Bilstien 5100 or Rancho RS9000 shocks, and then some 245/75/16 Falken At-3 tires, and a roof basket. THEN it'll be adventure ready!
    3QLpCLO.jpg
    ClerEQv.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've been dealing with a steering shimmy on my JL. They checked/torqued suspension bolts and alignment, then for the 2nd time replaced the steering dampener with a newer part number. It helped a little. They've now ordered a new drag link, which also has a new part number. I honestly think the tie rod end on the drag link, where it meets the pittman arm, is where the problem lies. However, I'm today receiving a new solid forged steel Rancho track bar that has some advanced bushings. Lots of JL owners are saying this fixes it, so we'll see. It isn't bad now, and drives/steers very well, but I want it perfect. Jeep has a new part number for the track bar, too, but I don't like their hollow parts. The track bar, drag link, and tie rod all look big and beefy, but they are hollow and have thin walls. I think they contribute to the problem, so strengthening it up should fix it. If not, I'll get adjustable lower control arms and adjust the caster angle. Other than this irritation, the Jeep has been great for the first 17k miles. This issue cropped up around 14k.

Btw, the spark plug change w/ 2 rear coil-overs have fixed the rough idle on my son's 04 WJ 4.7! It drives and feels great! Next up is the transmission fluid/filter change. I'm not looking forward to that mess!

4kxWOiz.jpg

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    Not a hoist per se...but I built mine for around $25 using eye bolts in the rafters, ratchet straps, and PVC pipe (to keep the strap from rubbing the top). You have to lift and pull the strap on each side to raise it, but i don't have a problem getting my LJ top to the ceiling

9E2B0CA5-0D09-4505-B88A-DEC1DFA26436_zps2vgb94e7.jpg

A7571273-F583-4E86-AE93-090C6C20A56D_zpsblahy6au.jpg

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    That Jeep looks great! I really like those sliding soft door windows!

Thanks! I just replaced the top last night with a new black one. I really like the sliders and the uppers seem in decent shape, so I’m going to use some black fabric spray paint on the tan and hope it holds up. I cut out a section of the old top to do some test sprays on. I figure there’s so little flex on the small amount of fabric it should work ok. Even if I have to respray every once in awhile.

Top Bottom