• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I am thinking about getting out of my Tundra Crewmax and getting into a Wrangler Rubicon. I kinda want something different, I almost never use our truck bed, and we got a yellow lab, so it's going to be tight to haul all 4 family members and the dog in the Tundra.

I don't want to put him in the bed. As far as I can tell, there is very little incentive to buy a used jeep, as they seem to depreciate exceptionally slowly and the finance rates on new are better too.

I am a bit worried about giving up Toyota reliability and safety, but I have had 2 4runners (they were nice, but) I have always been interested in Jeeps. I don't go off road more than about twice per year, so it will really be more of a "family truckster" instead of a mudder. They look super cool. Damn,they get spendy though. Anyone use a Jeep as their family vehicle?

I use mine every way it can be used, from daily driver to family truckster to off-road beast. It does everything well. I love my JK, but the JL is better in every way. Btw, I've owned 3 Jeep Wranglers over 22 years and they've been every bit as reliable as the two 4 Runners I owned. YMMV, but I've had great luck with all of them. The JK did get a new transmission at 116k under warranty, but the old one worked fine. It just popped out of 3rd gear gently about once a month. Jeep insisted on replacing it, so I didn't argue. That JK is still going strong at 138k miles and runs like a top.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I am in the same boat as you, but have a tacoma and want a Gladiator.....first year model run and FCA scare the **** out of me

My JL was as early as you can get. It was built in December of 2017 and was one of the first batch of production manual transmission models. Again, I've had it for 23k miles and 20 months with only 1 issue that was a recall. I had a steering dampener go bad causing an annoying steering shimmy when hitting large bumps under very specific conditions. They replaced it quickly and the new one was worse. I put a Fox dampener on it and it is better than ever. There were no flaws or quality issues, either. It had the best fit/finish I've ever had on a new vehicle.

This thing has been to Moab where I ran the hell out of it for a week. It ate up everything I threw at it, with ease. It drove on the highway as comfortably as a Tahoe, too.

I'm getting ready this weekend to head down to Wildcat Offroad Park in Kentucky with Indy Jeep Junkies. Then, in about 2.5 weeks, I may be taking both the JK and JL with wife and kids up to Drummond Island, Michigan, or down to the Smokies (and Windrock), depending on what we decide. Right now I'm leaning toward Michigan.

Anyway, I can't say enough about the JL, especially the Rubicon. I've got a Mopar lift that added about 3 or 3.5 inches and BFG KO2 tires and it rides even better than it did stock. On top of that, it gets about 21 to 22 mpg on the highway, which blows my mind. My JK gets 18.5 at the same speeds, but only with a tailwind. Lol.

Unlike previous Wranglers, you can fold the windshield in about 5 minutes, with 6 bolts, and a simple tool kit that comes with the Jeep. This thing is just stupid fun.
    K60cqns.jpg

Last edited:

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Just picked up a Gladiator this weekend. First Jeep I have owned and really like it so far. It’s in a serious need of a wheel and tire upgrade but those will come when I can get momma on board.

6C4F9886-CD07-4B37-8DFB-9F6C36EEE860.jpg

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    That looks GREAT! Love the Gladiator! I'm starting to see them around here and there. Congrats! Let the fun begin!

Wow, that Rubicon is awesome! Gotta do more research on exactly what I want. There are too damn many options. Sorta confused on these engine options too. I like the paint colored hard tops. That is about as far as I have gotten. Seems like most inventory is silver or black, but I like that non metallic grey I have seen around too.

I think the Gladiators look significantly cooler, but again, I actually DON'T want a bed anymore.

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    The Rubicons start around $52k and no way I was gonna pay that. I have drove F150s for the last 13 years and wanted something different. Was going to buy a Ranger but the wife didn’t care for it. I will always have a vehicle with a bed. Gladiator is a bit smaller than the F150s and a bit larger than the Rangers. So far I’m happy but it needs bigger tires to satisfy the redneck gene in me.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    My daughter and I love it.... wife thinks it is a bit over the top, but oh well. It has a custom 4" lift package that the dealer had installed and 35" tires. We didn't know it had rock lights until we were hitting the accessory buttons while it sat in the garage and everything turned red. It's got the 2.0L in it, which I was hesitant about but I am getting 17.5mpg with exclusively city driving and it accelerates much better than I had thought it would. The ride and drive was something to get used to for sure, but it is a lot of fun to drive overall.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    My daughter and I love it.... wife thinks it is a bit over the top, but oh well. It has a custom 4" lift package that the dealer had installed and 35" tires. We didn't know it had rock lights until we were hitting the accessory buttons while it sat in the garage and everything turned red. It's got the 2.0L in it, which I was hesitant about but I am getting 17.5mpg with exclusively city driving and it accelerates much better than I had thought it would. The ride and drive was something to get used to for sure, but it is a lot of fun to drive overall.

That 2.0 is great! I can't get 17.5 in the city in my JK with only 33's on it. The rock lights are especially cool!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I took a few of the kids to the Smokey Mountains for a few days. We did Hurricane Creek Rd., which has deteriorated and made for some fun wheeling. While there we did a very hairy uphil run in thick mud. I thought surely we'd have to winch, but the KO2's surprised me and pulled us up.

We also did the Tail of the Dragon, just for kicks. Saw a McLaren and a Ferrari, but with the rain, they weren't taking the turns any harder than we did. I wasn't really pushing it that hard, but rather having fun going through the gears. It was enough to make my 8 year old barf in the back seat, though! (Yuck!) Lol!

Anyway, we had a good old time and the Jeep was a blast. We saw a momma bear and 2 cubs, too, as well as a huge bull elk.

Here's a cool pic of the Jeep taken by pros along the Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap.
    INGRRlL.jpg

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited

Okay I need some help here.

My daughter was gifted this vehicle by my parents and is finding out it is not the right vehicle for her.

Due to the low number of these that were produced it is hard to come up with an asking price when we decide to list it.

It has 150K miles and is in amazing shape for the year.

What is it worth?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Wakin' this dead thread up!

The weather was great today, so I changed the oil on the boy's WJ. We put some Pennzil Ultra Platinum 5w30 in there to give the inside of this old engine a good scrubbing. I also changed out the PCV valve. This old V8 is strong. I also spent 2 cans of Rustoleum Rust Reformer and Sealer on the bottom of it to get it ready for winter salt baths. The only fluids left to change out on this old girl are the front and rear differentials. The front is a piece of cake, but the rear is hard to get to, thanks to the gas tank. I'll need to jack it way up in the air, but we'll get 'er done.

The JK is up next for its annual Rust Reformer and Fluid Film treatment. It'll also be due for an oil change soon.

qfcHhQE.jpg

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    fc8a07b1d4278c71611ffb1f64e789e7.jpg

I miss my XJ

It was lifted in OME HDs and was one of my favorite vehicles.

Only reason I sold it was because the AC was broken and I had to rebuild the dash completely to fix and wasn’t worth it. Sold it to a younger guy who was gonna use it for while fighting forest fires out west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Wakin up the old Jeep thread....

Went back at my son's WJ today, starting with a front brake job. A few weeks ago, I bought 5 wheels and tires off a guy from Ohio who took them off his 2020 Wrangler Sport and wanted to get rid of them. The tires are Bridgestone Dueler AT's and all but the spare had only 5k on them. The apare had not been used. They just fit in the WJ with only barely a rub when backing up at full lock. We'll be putting a 1.5" lift on it at some point not too far down the road, so then it'll be able to flex a little. Anyway, it looks much better now that the old corroded wheels are gone. The new ones have a more rugged look to them that goes well with the WJ, I think. I'll try and get some shots tomorrow in the daylight. The brakes, btw, are Carquest Platinum Pro ceramic pads and Platinum Pro rotors. I'll do the rears within the next few weeks. My daughter's Renegade's rear brakes are in line first, though, as they are in worse shape. The 4.7 in the WJ is running smooth and strong! It's had new plugs, PCV, belt, a new pulley, O2 sensor, and some fresh Pennzoil Platinum Ultra oil with a Fram Ultra filter. It should be all cleaned up in the 5k I'll run this oil. It is getting Shell gas, as well. I think it ran on crappy gas until it got to us and may have had some bad deposits. It runs better and better with every tank of gas. I may run a tank of V-power or put some Techron in it to help it along, but it really feels and sounds great now.

d9mX0Ex.jpg
    nX006CX.jpg
    MyPSJT1.jpg

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    HELP!!!!!

Okay so my daughter is driving a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited.

These are full time 4WD and it started making a bad hum and vibration from 20mph to 45mph. Then there would be a subtle thunk and it would smooth right out.

Took it to a mechanic and he indicated it needed a whole new front axle to the tune of $1,400.00.

I know the front ends on these are rather complicated and I don't have a ton of confidence in these guys.

I was wondering if any of you can recommend a good Jeep mechanic in the Indy area?

Top Bottom