• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    2 Kindles in our house and they are great. I have a ton of free books on mine.

A tip: If you have multiple Kindles in the house, they can share books. You purchase once, but upload to multiple devices so two can be reading it at the same time. There is a catch though. They must be connected to the same email address at Amazon. I have my email, my wife has hers. We created a third email address and Amazon account just for the Kindles. It's similar to "HD.Family@domain.com and we registered both Kindles to that address. This allows us to share content.

Happy reading!

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    Both my wife and I have Kindles. Great little devices. You can still check your email on them and use forums, but they are definitely not for web surfing. I had originally gotten her a Nook Color, but in bright sun light and/or with polarized sunglasses on, you cannot see the screen. So we returned it. She liked the size of the Kindle better than the Nook B&W, so she got a Kindle. Then I did. As HD says,you can share your book on up to 6 devices and all read the same book. I have my iPad, my Kindle, Her Droid Tablet, Her Kindle, and my two older kids netbooks on the Amazon account. I've found that some Kindle titles are a tad cheaper than the dead tree version....

EX: Catching Fire Book $9.89 Kindle $7.70

And some the same....

Jimmy Doolittle Autobiography Book $7.99 Kindle $7.99

I usually read two or three (sometimes four) books at a time....so it is nice having the Kindle so I don't lug them all around (never know which one I'll be in the mood for when at a kids practice, or out of town, etc). In fact, the two listed above are among the Five I'm currently reading (along with Yeager, Brass Verdict, and Rules of Vengeance).

So if you read a lot, or many books at once, I would highly recommend the Kindle.

Last edited:

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have the Kindle, my wife has the Nook Color, we both have an iPad. For reading, I strongly favor the Kindle. I find it much easier for reading longer periods of time. My wife prefers the color Nook. but she also tends to read for shorter times.

If you go to Office Depot you can see the Kindle. I'd look at both and choose what works for you. iPad is great, but not for a reader. Also, if reading outdoors is a need, Kindle is by far the better option there.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    That chart is highly bias towards the nook (obviously). The part they don't say is that in direct sunlike a nook will hurt your eyes like nothing else, and the kindle is still easy to read.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have the old and the new nook. My buddy has the kindle. The newer kindle was has better contrast than the older nook The new Nook is the same or better.

They are both the same in sunlight, they have the same display.

Now the nook color is bad in sunlight like any pad or laptop would be. Really have to check them out yourselves. I like the ease of using public library, this is coming to kindle I hear. Most library ebooks are epub though. Nook handles most all book formats. Kindle you are locked to kindle books only.

More objective http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXZVqaSPUUg

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Nook format is Epub. I have a feeling that many of the 3500 books that came on mine were native in another format, because there are many formatting errors in a few of the books I have read. I even reformatted in Calibre (which is a great piece of software btw)

AF Gunner

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    North East, Indiana
    We also have two in our house. and we love them. the e ink is great with no eye strain. I think there is allot of rumors on a new one coming out for Christmas, maybe a color version?

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    I have a Nook color which I got for Christmas, it is by far the best present I have every got.
    You can see it in the brightest sunlight, it has a nighttime setting, you can download newspapers and magazines from around the world.
    Don't be too worried about the "format" the book arrives in you can get a free program called Calibre which will convert it to mobi / epub / pdf
    Also if you are computer savvy you can browse the newsgroups and with a newsgroup reader download any book your heart desires for free, also with the nook you can download your iPod onto a sd card and listen to music as well.
    PM me if you need more info on this

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    don't own one, but my wife works for our local public library, and each branch has one. she's brought it home to get familiar with, and i read a book of it. once you get used to it, it is really nice. easier than holding a 500 page novel in one hand and a 2 month old baby in the other. our library has a e-book checkout system so you can borrow the kindle and get whatever books you need.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    hubby has one and loves it. I have used it a time or two and when funds are right I will end up getting one. The one thing that is keeping me from getting it is the public library does not do Kindle yet, I am waiting patiently and as soon as they do I will find the funds if I haven't already

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    If you want a tablet, buy a tablet. If you want to read books, get an E-ink book reader like the Kindle.

I have no experience with the new e-ink nook, but I LOVE my Kindle. You can read it anywhere you can read a regular book, the battery lasts seemingly forever and I could never fill it. I read about a book a month on it, and I'll be using it tonight.

Also consider customer service. Amazon's CS is STELLAR. I accidentally sat on my Kindle, broke the e-ink screen and they replaced it FREE. I had sat on it numerous times before and finally it caught up with me. I'm pretty rough on stuff.

In any case, I love my Kindle.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Anything color is not as good as the black and white E-ink, for reading without eye strain.

Nook wins for me if you do not need 3G. I didn't as I do not travel much.

The All-New NOOK vs. Kindle - Barnes*&*Noble

^This^

I have a 10inch Android Tablet that I also use as an eReader. I LOVE it, but eyestrain IS a factor with the color screen. When I can afford it, I will probably get a cheap eInk reader and stop reading books on the tablet and just use it for videos, web, email, etc.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    So I managed to break it again today. I seriously can't believe I was stupid enough to put it in my back pocket again.

DO NOT put the Kindle in your back pocket and sit on it. It WILL break.

Anyway - once again Amazon's great customer service is replacing it for free. I should have my new Kindle Friday.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    to the OP, my mom has one and she LOVES it. all she does is read and she has read enough books with it thats its already paying for its self. i for one cant figure out how to work the thing but gimme a few minutes with it and ill figure it out. but from what my mom has told me, if you're a big reader than its a great thing to have

Top Bottom