• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jagdhund

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Anyone fans of the Steyr/Budapest Mannlicher M95?
    They don't seem very popular, but I love them. I got my first one as a "why not" buy for $65 about 3 months ago and didn't know anything about it. Once I handled it and worked the action I fell in love with it. I like the way they look and hold, the carbines weigh less than 7 pounds. My first one shot well but didn't extract ammo well. Instead of taking that to a gunsmith I bought another one in great shape with all matching numbers, and it has become my favorite gun. The action is smooth and quick with extraction and loading. I have yet to fully test its accuracy at a proper rifle range but shooting off hand at 25 yards it's more accurate than I am. Every time I shoot it, it puts out a huge fireball and a big grin on my face. It usually gets everyone's attention at the indoor range and I always get asked about it.

For me the only down side is the poor iron sights, and the uncommon 8x56mm rimmed cartridge.

So are there any fans of these guns on this forum? Anyone who knows quite a bit about these?

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    They are neat guns for the money, I've thought about picking up another. J&G used to have them for like $89, about the only surplus ammo you'll find for them will be 38' or 39' Nazi marked. A local dealer has a big bag of brass for it that I've thought about buying

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I've been wanting one, but boy the prices have risen. It takes some searching to find one under $200 now.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yes, the M95 is a blast to shoot, literally and figuratively! :D
    I love mine, but it shoots old corrosive 8x56R late 1930's nazi stamped ammo on clips, and one needs to be sure to clean it properly after shooting.

Some years back when they were being imported and in stock at the wholesalers, many collectors were buying them and they had a reputation for being one of the hardest kicking C&R rifles.

Last edited:

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    So how would you compare the Action to a swiss k31????

Being a surplus gun whore, I kinda want one, But never liked the ammo situation for it.

elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    I love them,I'd ike to find an unrefurbed one,I have one that is a Bulgarian refurb 95/34. as far as ammo,surplus at $20/10 and privi makes it,also there are a few resourceful,'mavericks'(lol) who convert x54r cases and load the .323 bullet....

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So how would you compare the Action to a swiss k31????

Being a surplus gun whore, I kinda want one, But never liked the ammo situation for it.

Though both straight pulls, the Swiss K31 has a smoother action and is a more accurate rifle.
    The main thing with me is the M95 is just fun to shoot with the kick and big fireball. :D

Mine are of the 8x56R cartridge, as were most of the ones being imported by the surplus dealers 10-15 years ago.

Last edited:

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Though both straight pulls, the Swiss K31 has a smoother action and is a more accurate rifle.
    The main thing with me is the M95 is just fun to shoot with the kick and big fireball. :D

Many thanks, I am getting the burn for one of these

Jagdhund

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Now THAT would be sweet to have one in 8mm Mauser!

Actually thats kind of why I started this thread. I wanted to see if there were any gunsmiths knowledgeable in this gun, that could rebarrel one for 8mm mauser for me and mount a reproduction scope.

Example:
    17332763_1.jpg

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Actually thats kind of why I started this thread. I wanted to see if there were any gunsmiths knowledgeable in this gun, that could rebarrel one for 8mm mauser for me and mount a reproduction scope.

Example:
    17332763_1.jpg

Why not start off with one of the m95m or m95/24 and skip the rebarreling step????

Top Bottom