• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Packin-Heat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Avon, Indiana
    Okay, here goes.... Came home this evening and realized the wife had bounced off the garage door of the house with the front of her car:xmad: When asked about it she said I didn't even know. So if there is anyone who maybe able to help make this repair a little less painful for my wallet I would greatly appreciate the assistance. Thank you in advance....

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    So what are you looking for somebody to get rid of the wife or fix the door??

What type of door??

What damage was done??

Pictures would be helpful.

Can't help with the wife, much like used cars your just getting somebody else's problems..

Packin-Heat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Avon, Indiana
    First question, not sure whether to get rid of the wife or fix the garage door or both. No really it is a 2-car garage door, steel (I believe), non insulated. Its not too bad. the thing is we are moving soon and buying a house. The guy who owns the house is some what pissed that I am no longer going to pay his house payment for him, so I know I need to fix this as opposed to him fixing it and billing me for it. The bottom two panels got a couple bends and 1 crease a piece. I would like to replace just the panels damaged if possible. Also I am a fairly new member here and I am a little unsure of how to post pics or if I am even aloud yet, my post count is only at 35 or so. I try not to just make pointless comment so as not to just boost my post count. I will get measurements and any #'s I can find tomorrow.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Look and see who makes the door. I can come over and give you a hand if we can find the panels.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    You will have to replace the lower panel as a unit. Really simple use 2 pairs of vicegrips or 2 c-clamps to hold the door in a raised position (about chest height) Just unbolt the lower panel from the hinges and the brackets for the rollers, install new panel. Your gonna need 6 hands or 2 more grips to hold the lower panel in place also.

If you were local I would help you out, I work cheap normally feed me and keep me from getting thirsty..

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    You will have to replace the lower panel as a unit. Really simple use 2 pairs of vicegrips or 2 c-clamps to hold the door in a raised position (about chest height) Just unbolt the lower panel from the hinges and the brackets for the rollers, install new panel. Your gonna need 6 hands or 2 more grips to hold the lower panel in place also.

If you were local I would help you out, I work cheap normally feed me and keep me from getting thirsty..

Careful....the cables are hooked to the corner brackets on the bottom panel, and this is where the tension from the spring is transferred to the door. A LOT of tension. If he does as you said and just unbolts them without relieving the spring tension, he could be seriously injured and/or cause further damage. The exact steps are going to be determined by what type of spring system he has (extension or torsion), and special tools are needed for some parts of the repair. Because of that, I'm just going to recommend finding someone that knows how to do it, or pay to have it done!

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Careful....the cables are hooked to the corner brackets on the bottom panel, and this is where the tension from the spring is transferred to the door. A LOT of tension. If he does as you said and just unbolts them without relieving the spring tension, he could be seriously injured and/or cause further damage. The exact steps are going to be determined by what type of spring system he has (extension or torsion), and special tools are needed for some parts of the repair. Because of that, I'm just going to recommend finding someone that knows how to do it, or pay to have it done!

Yep your right I forgot about telling him to lock the torsion rod.

Good catch!!!!!!

:+1:

Top Bottom