• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peter McM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Going to meet the wife's kinfolk for lunch Saturday in Terre Haute--probably at Red Lobster. I'm an ISU man (1982-1986) but haven't visited there since I started carrying. Generally speaking, how are the attitudes there toward a clean-cut fellow with a Sig on his belt?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hard to say, depending on how hysterical the sheep that calls the PoPo is! I've seen nothing done, all the way to near SWAT callouts for OC in the haute.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't see many people OC in Terre Haute, but I know some do I don't see due to INGO... I will say that based on those I do see OCing in Terre Haute, and the person you lead me to imagine based on your description tells me you will have nothing to worry about.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    When my son was at Rose-Holman he open carried to a free concert in the park. Local LEOs double teamed him. One slipped up behind him and touched his weapon. Kid thought some one was trying to take it and reacted accordingly. LEO quickly backed off and the second one warned my son not to assault a LEO. LEOs began a friendly conversation. One asked if he could see my son's Springfield XD. My son initially reached for the weapon, then he realized he was being set up. He raised his hands over his head and explained he was willing to show it too them, but he did not want to be accused of drawing on LEO. LEO reaction maybe him think that was what they wanted, so they had a reason to arrest him. LEO then told him it was illegal to carry in city park. Son explained he thought carrying with LTCH was legal. LEOs explained local ordinance banned guns in the park. (This was in 2006). Son offered to leave, so LEOs were satisfied. Son took his girl back to the campus.

Might want to keep your eyes open.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I only had one that was weird. Other than that one incident I have had zero trouble OCing here in TH. I have been OCing here for two years without any trouble. There is nothing to leep your eyes open or any reason not to carry openly here. Yje LEO's, both sheriff and THPD, have yet to give me any trouble and I have seen plenty of them. Not that I have seen a lot because of cthem being called, I have seen plenty because I have carried openly got a while now and NO ONE has ever given me a second look. The only time I had anyone give me any trouble you can search here for "Staple's" as this is where it happened. An old guy yelled "GUN!" and threw his wife down under him ad everyone laughed at him. I looked around thinking someone else had a gun out threatening but itwas me. The manager asked the old guy to leave if he was going to make a scene, not me..

You will have zero problems here open carrying. In fact I have OCed at Red Lobster before without trouble..

rockola1971

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    Over Here
    Same here for me. I OC most of the time and never got a second look by the deputies or city police. OC'd in Red Lobster everytime ive been there and no second looks and not a word from anyone. Nobody really freaks out over handguns in this area, except for old men when a man shows up in Staples open carrying. :):

Peter McM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Thanks for the input, everyone. I don't plan on going on-campus (wouldn't recognize the place these days, anyway). Maybe I'll just carry my smaller Rossi .357 and keep my shirt untucked.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    You are no longer a student, so they can no longer expel you. Perfectly legally to OC there with an LTCH. Not like they can legally make you give the diploma back...

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    You are no longer a student, so they can no longer expel you. Perfectly legally to OC there with an LTCH. Not like they can legally make you give the diploma back...
    They can still hold you r records if you need to prove you went there and got a degree. The UIUC tried this with me until I proved my innocence.
    A university is like the BATFE, they can do whatever they want to do as far as they want to do to you and cost money to get things set right.

That said, OC in TH is a non-issue. Do it without worry though in campus, ISU's rulrd are the way to be.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There used to be a significant number of reports on GlockTalk (pre-INGO) of open carriers in Terre Haute being harassed by individual police officers who uniformly claimed it was against a local ordinance. No such ordinance existed at that time, so the cops in question (if the stories were true) were either ignorant of the law or lying for their own reasons.

I haven't head of any problems recently. I've carried openly in Terre Haute many, many times. I've spent a lot of time devouring endless shrimp in the TH Red Lobsters while carrying openly. I've been in there in groups where several and sometimes all of us had visible firearms.

The only time I was concerned about open carry in Terre Haute was the one and only time I patronized a Golden Corral (no longer there). The concern was because the people in there were acting like the freakin' buffet was going to run out of food for some reason and were behaving like savages trying to make sure they got theirs. I thought I might have to defend myself for taking a scoop of mac and cheese that someone else thought belonged to them.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I thought I might have to defend myself for taking a scoop of mac and cheese that someone else thought belonged to them.

There is some advantage to carrying pepper spray for such less than lethal "opportunities".

Of course, it will render your buffet competitors at a temporary disadvantage, but more

...it adds that extra bit of kick the standard mac and cheese lacks. ;)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There is some advantage to carrying pepper spray for such less than lethal "opportunities".

Of course, it will render your buffet competitors at a temporary disadvantage, but more

...it adds that extra bit of kick the standard mac and cheese lacks. ;)

The feeding frenzy rendered that crowd immune to pepper spray and probably tasers too!

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I won't post it on here, Google is your friend. Let's just say it involved nudity, an intimate relationship with a whiskey bottle, a truck show and a large drunken crowd of onlookers.

rockola1971

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    Over Here
    There used to be a significant number of reports on GlockTalk (pre-INGO) of open carriers in Terre Haute being harassed by individual police officers who uniformly claimed it was against a local ordinance. No such ordinance existed at that time, so the cops in question (if the stories were true) were either ignorant of the law or lying for their own reasons.

I haven't head of any problems recently. I've carried openly in Terre Haute many, many times. I've spent a lot of time devouring endless shrimp in the TH Red Lobsters while carrying openly. I've been in there in groups where several and sometimes all of us had visible firearms.

The only time I was concerned about open carry in Terre Haute was the one and only time I patronized a Golden Corral (no longer there). The concern was because the people in there were acting like the freakin' buffet was going to run out of food for some reason and were behaving like savages trying to make sure they got theirs. I thought I might have to defend myself for taking a scoop of mac and cheese that someone else thought belonged to them.

Golden Corral is open again and has been for sometime. I OC in there everytime I go there to eat. No problems and no people fighting me for food either.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Golden Corral is open again and has been for sometime. I OC in there everytime I go there to eat. No problems and no people fighting me for food either.

That's because the food is terrible! I can go spend the money it costs to get in at golden coral at a restaurant where the food tastes good and leave just as full!

Top Bottom