• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    There was at least 1 ~6-7 foot big one running around somewhere--a friend showed me a pic of the pikachu posing with his daughter this afternoon.

Oh, and the vendor room was basically like a 1500 for geeks and nerds, but only better. Really neat stuff in there, but WAY too much to see in one day.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Hah, I just noticed this thread. We've been there for the last 3 days. Soon-to-be-Mrs Beowulf is an author of fantasy novels and she has a table set up in Authors Alley.

I have to say, after having vended last years, this year has been amazing. Sales are off the charts, going from a mere 20% over last year on Thursday, to nearly 100% over last year on Saturday. The only bad thing is that we've been so busy I haven't really had a chance to walk around at all and see the sights.

She (and her table) even got featured by the Indy Star in their article on opening day.

IndyStar_Gencon2018.JPG

So, here's hoping tomorrow is just as successful.

If anyone want to stop by and say "hi" and maybe pick up a book or 3 :D, we are at the end of the row in Author's Alley, right on the other side of Booth 841 (which is Japanime Games, I believe).

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hah, I just noticed this thread. We've been there for the last 3 days. Soon-to-be-Mrs Beowulf is an author of fantasy novels and she has a table set up in Authors Alley.

I have to say, after having vended last years, this year has been amazing. Sales are off the charts, going from a mere 20% over last year on Thursday, to nearly 100% over last year on Saturday. The only bad thing is that we've been so busy I haven't really had a chance to walk around at all and see the sights.

She (and her table) even got featured by the Indy Star in their article on opening day.

View attachment 69140

If anyone want to stop by and say "hi" and maybe pick up a book or 3 :D, we are at the end of the row in Author's Alley, right on the other side of Booth 841 (which is Japanime Games, I believe).

Awesome, congrats to her on the success. That's pretty sweet.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    There was at least 1 ~6-7 foot big one running around somewhere--a friend showed me a pic of the pikachu posing with his daughter this afternoon.

Oh, and the vendor room was basically like a 1500 for geeks and nerds, but only better. Really neat stuff in there, but WAY too much to see in one day.
    SherylinAvon is (quote-unquote) jelly. That is all.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Damn, those are old school dice from the original boxed set of D&D aren't they? I remember tossing mine after buying the "new" high impact dice, oh around 1981 or so. Wish I had kept them now just for nostalgia. And I was in Geneva for GenCon back in 1983 and 1984, then it moved to Milwaukee in 1985 I think and that was the last one I went to. Four of us went that year and we made it to the final round of the AD&D open.

Yes... geek here.

The original boxed set didn't have dice... It had cardboard chits. Ask me how I know. :D

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County

View attachment 69140

Awesome, maybe I will see you there next year.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    vp3670yagqe11.jpg

Milkshakeed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Indianapolis

View attachment 69140

Just saw this, or I would have stopped by. What are some of her titles?

Milkshakeed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It was a good GenCon. Lots of games played. Next year I will post earlier so we can have a INGO group lunch or something.

The few complaints I have are the cover up of the alleged assault at GenCon of a Conservative. While it was not in GenCon, but at a restaurant, GenCon is quick to issue statements if it is politically advantageous to do so, yet didn't (till yesterday) and then it was only to say they would cooperate if needed. The blocking of people and deleting of comments and questions on Twichy was not cool on their part.
    Gen Con Issues Statement Regarding The Quartering's Assault - Bounding Into Comics

I saw no ANTIFA stuff. I did however see the below menu from The Flying Cupcake. I'll let you judge.
    IMG_20180804_144359.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It was a good GenCon. Lots of games played. Next year I will post earlier so we can have a INGO group lunch or something.

The few complaints I have are the cover up of the alleged assault at GenCon of a Conservative. While it was not in GenCon, but at a restaurant, GenCon is quick to issue statements if it is politically advantageous to do so, yet didn't (till yesterday) and then it was only to say they would cooperate if needed. The blocking of people and deleting of comments and questions on Twichy was not cool on their part.
    Gen Con Issues Statement Regarding The Quartering's Assault - Bounding Into Comics

I saw no ANTIFA stuff. I did however see the below menu from The Flying Cupcake. I'll let you judge.
    View attachment 69226

GenCon's statement is at best disingenuous. Even if I were interested in attending the event, if the people operating it now play that way, I would never give them a dime of my money.

Given the number of affidavits from eyewitnesses, I think it's okay to believe that this assault happened and that TheQuartering's account of it is reasonably accurate. Since it happened outside of the GenCon proper (which I suspect was intentional on the part of the assailant), I am unsure what responsibility they hold with respect the to incident itself. They do have a responsibility to be honest in their statements, though, but it's not clear that they are capable of that due to their socio-political ideology.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Man, and I came in here to see if anyone was talking about the dude that left his 10yr old daughter in the car at a downtown parking garage while he was attending the convention. Hadn't heard about the dude getting sucker punched.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Man, and I came in here to see if anyone was talking about the dude that left his 10yr old daughter in the car at a downtown parking garage while he was attending the convention. Hadn't heard about the dude getting sucker punched.

Apparently the guy who did the sucker punching (allegedly) claims to be a krav maga instructor too.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

I posted a bunch of updates to the Quartering situation (either here or the SJW thread). The closest to "antifa" may be the alleged attacker's shirt that he wore... "Punch Nazis".

I was pretty surprised to see and hear WIBC cover it briefly... which I think is what gave it some legs and pressured Gen Con into saying something. Not a lot of people knew about it when it happened... and their silence on it probably didn't help.

Seeing as it took place before Gen Con even opened the doors... I don't really see where they're responsible... but I do think they should stop promoting the attacker's business (which they did during Gen Con), and potentially bar him from future events. Again, if it's shown to have happened. If police are involved now, the bar may be compelled to provide video.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Apparently the guy who did the sucker punching (allegedly) claims to be a krav maga instructor too.
    He got in multiple hits and the dude barely looks touched? That can't be good for business. I'd look for a more qualified instructor.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Huh? I looked up this guy and he looks and acts like a *****[cat].

I'm with TT on this - after listening to guy whining for day about this, now I want to punch him. Jeremy's certainly getting his 15 minutes of fame, because he certainly doesn't deserve any for his lame YouTube videos.

TheQuartering? So me the The Quickening then I'll care. Until there's a sword fight, stop whining and grow up.

Instead of running to YouTube and crying about the grave injustice he suffered, he should have just crawled into a dark corner and contemplate how much of a wuss he really is.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Eh... the YouTube portion of it is cringy, yes. Doesn't make it any less wrong, though. That's the platform he has, and allegedly police didn't seem interested in helping.

So let's play it out:

You travel to a town for a big event. You're a person that makes content related to the event and the people it showcases.
    Before the event, you're approached by someone that actively sought you out because they make content counter to your content. Political differences.
    They ask "Are you *name*?", then assault you, do some property damage, and leave.

That, alone, is sort of a big deal. You were stalked with the purpose of being assaulted because of political differences. Now, we've said this before... political violence is not okay. It should never be excused or made light of. It is the point of no return in a society, when political violence becomes normalized and okay.

Now, back to our scenario.

You have witnesses. You're a video blogger. So you do what you do... blog on your channel. Because that's your platform, and that'll get the word out that someone is in town looking to potentially beat on people they disagree with.

So I see why he would use YouTube to shed light on the incident. I think the incident, itself, is the important part. The person, and how he behaves, and how he could have reacted, and how he could have prevented it, and how he blah blah blah... is unimportant. I don't know much about the guy aside from the topic he covers. I think being hunted down at a bar, verifying identity (are those republicans on the baseball field?), and being attacked is something that should be taken seriously... regardless of the level of violence.

(Obviously everything above is based on the alleged event. We're talking hypothetically.)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So I see why he would use YouTube to shed light on the incident. I think the incident, itself, is the important part. The person, and how he behaves, and how he could have reacted, and how he could have prevented it, and how he blah blah blah... is unimportant. I don't know much about the guy aside from the topic he covers. I think being hunted down at a bar, verifying identity (are those republicans on the baseball field?), and being attacked is something that should be taken seriously... regardless of the level of violence.

(Obviously everything above is based on the alleged event. We're talking hypothetically.)

He uses YouTube because that's the teet he's grown up on. Anytime a threat shows up these kids whip out their cellphone as if it's a magical talisman against bad things that might trigger them.

As to, "and being attacked is something that should be taken seriously... regardless of the level of violence." Isn't that what the problem is? You and I define an attack as some level of physical contact, others define it as bad words.

And the level of violence should impact how serious we address it. A bar room scuffle is a far cry from a massacre. I think it's pretty unrealistic to expect the full force of the IMPD is going to rain down upon this alleged attacker when there was nary a mark on the victim.

As to his "platform", I consider babbling into a cellphone* about how you see politics about as worthwhile to society and dropping used chewing gum on the sidewalk. I know that makes me a curmudgeon, but I also know that I'm in good company.

Also, (and I'm not saying it's right), but putting yourself out there as a target by "producing" this "content" is analogous to "she was asking for it". Of course, "she" wasn't, but it's still not a smart idea to be inviting trouble.

* Why are so many of them sitting in a car?

Top Bottom