Any other L.C. Smith shotgun owners out there?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • t1545jh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Kokomo
    My grandfather gave me his L.C Smith double barrel 20 gauge years ago. I was thinking he said he bought it in the early 50's, but I cant remember for sure. I was told they can be pretty valuable. Do any of you know anything about these guns or their history? Thanks

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I have had a few Elsies over the years. I currently have 2 that I hunt with. One a featherweight 16 ga. field grade and the other a featherweight 12 ga. field grade. The 12 was made in 1921 and is in about 80% condition. Strong case colors are very desirable.
    Your 20 ga. is more desirable than the 12 and only a little more so than the 16 ga. They came in about 6 or 7 grades. The difference is the amount of engraving, grade of wood and even gold inlays....There is much info on the net here. The Blue Book is a useful guide to what grade your gun is but it is only a guide as to values. They are very well built guns and are great to hunt with. Both of mine are choked as upland bird guns. Duck guns are more common. and are choked Modified and Full. Bird guns are choked imp. cyl, and mod.
    Elsies are not very common here in Indiana but more so in the eastern and prarie states....
    Should you decide to sell yours, let me know. I don't own a 20 ga. All the Smiths fit me well, so I usually hit my game with one....Makes you look good...Ha ha....John

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Never have owned one, but I used to hunt with the double barreled 20 gauge when I was a kid. My grandfather would set me up with it for deer hunting. Loved that gun to death and have been looking for one for years. One of these days I'll find one and add it to the collection.

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    I've got my dads old 12 ga field grade. It's seen some hard miles but is still good for rabbits and birds. Lots of good memories with that double.

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    Does anyone know of a good gunsmith in south Indy area for old doubles? I have an old Elsie and 2 Davis deluxes that I would like to have gone over to make sure everything is safe with these 100 year old beauties.

Top Bottom