• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBoller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    With deer season winding down, I'm beginning to focus on small game hunting, mostly after rabbits. Unfortunately I don't have any dogs, so I have to be my own beagle. I got this rabbit by kicking brush in a field. It took three shots to take this tough guy down :ar15: (I guess I need to practice with my shotgun a little more ) . Any others have any interesting rabbit (or other small game) hunting stories?
    deer442_zpsd0f63dab.jpg

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I have always hunted with dogs( learned that way) and never really got into jump shooting. I have 20 yrs of stories but look forward to making more memories on the next hunt, and years to come when my son is ready.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Yeah, I went right after deer season. Saw 3 rabbit. First one I forgot to take the safety off (doh) 2nd one was too close to the dog. And the third was on the way back to the truck.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I used to love rabbit hunting. I started out in 7th or 8th grade.
    My friend and I used to walk to the edge of town toting shotguns and with a beagle on a lead we were all set. This was back in the early 60's. Nobody thought nothing of a couple of kids doing that back then. :yesway:

In the late 80's I started deer hunting seriously and got rid of my dogs.
    I was only using them for about 3 or 4 weekends.
    I miss rabbit hunting...and I really miss fried rabbit, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and biscuits! IMO that is one of the best meals out there.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Its been a couple years but I used to go with a rather large group. It would be nothing for a group of 10-12 guys stomping through brush to limit out in a 4 hour hunt. Then we'd all go back and clean them and make rabbit jerky for the next hunt.

Customsafeguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Cleburne Tx
    Back in the day my buddy had a official pace car mustang with a sun roof we took it off and on our way back home from quail hunting I would stand up out of the sun roof with my shotgun and shoot them if I missed he would run them down we did that for 3 years. My dad loved rabbit.

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    Went this morning and got 4, it's always nice to start off the year with a family and friends hunt.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I got one on the 31st. Just had time to kick some brush piles around the house. We'll get a little more serious about it after next weekend. One more shot at filling my last doe tag then its on to yotes and rabbits.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    We went yesterday. Man were they sittin tight. Saw 3 but cousin missed on 1 and other 2 holed up before dogs got em back around. First time I have went in years. Whole lotta fun tho!

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Bunnies took it on the chin yesterday

Went for a short walk outside of town. 5 rabbits followed me home. Don't use a shotgun anymore, not sporting where I go. Used the 10-22.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Why yes, I hunt wabbits!

20_Elmer_Fudd2-copy.png

Actually, I don't hunt rabbits, but had to have a little fun with this!

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Love to hunt bunnies!! I have been going out on New Years day for a long time. Went out with my sons on the first this year and got two. The dog is my son's and we just started hunting with her.
    IMG951913_zpseb8241f5.jpg

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Wish I would have seen this thread this weekend... Went bunny hunting with the father in law on Monday. I took too decent size rabbits with my sing shot h&r 410 :)

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I love rabbit hunting, but I've never used dogs. Always just go with some hunting buddies. I did however find a much more interesting way to get the job done a couple of weeks ago.

hawksandmore252_zps311b3874.jpg

hawksandmore234_zps9b2f2ae4.jpg

Not quite as efficient as my 870, but waaaaaay more entertaining.

davebradley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Martinsville, IN
    I've got a bunch that like to hangout around my place. Maybe that's why the coyote s like the area so much. I would think their fur would,d change more with the environment, but the ones I see stick out like sore thumbs.

Top Bottom