• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Never say the words "that's not my job".
    Know your job inside out, backwards, sideways and upside down. Know it as thoroughly as you can.
    Then start learning everyone else's.
    As you progress in rank remember that you start making Chief as a second class.
    Always be a sponge for knowledge.
    Go to sea. Chief's are made at sea.
    You will be judged by who you associate with. Pick wisely.
    One "aw, crap" will wipe out a hundred "atta boys".
    Be loyal.
    You will be given crap jobs. Do them to the best of your ability and with enthusiasm. People are watching.
    Don't half-ass anything that has your name tied to it. Even if it's sweeping a passageway.
    Being the best at your paygrade gives them incentive to keep you there. Be the best at that and the next step as well.
    Set goals and never lose sight of them. Being a self-motivator is beyond value.
    Don't wait to be told to do something you know needs to be done.
    Anytime at work or at sea is time dedicated to your next promotion. Waste it at your peril.
    Thank you for your many bits of wisdom. I'll do my best.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    You will have numerous inspections during boot camp. For the love of all thats holy, if the DI asks you " Are you sure?" Then you done answered the question wrong and they are giving you a second chance.

General orders and ranks will help you out a lot, most of it other than that is all pretty basic stuff. The most frustrating part will be dealing with your felow sailors, seemed like there were always a couple that just could not get their crap in one sock, and made the rest of us suffer.

NAVY= never again volunteer yourself. All of the different jobs that they have for recruits during bootcamp mean nothing once you complete bootcamp. Unless you want the added pressure, don't volunteer for anyhting.

The sailor that nobody knows their name of by the end of bootcamp did well ;)

Good luck and congradulations, the Navy is a great way to serve your country.
    Thank you for advice.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Your no spring chicken are you? Good luck! You seem to be taking initiative now and that's great! Don't ever give up. Don't get involved in any drama. If you see someone ****ing up you go to them personally and set them straight. Team is everything. Army here not Navy.
    Timing has finally worked out for me to join. Been wanting to for a few years now. Regret not doing it when I was young, but I figure better late then never.
    Thank you for your service.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    It just occurred to me as I reread some of these pearls of wisdom that they're really good. I'm going to write a lot of these down so I can re read them over and over. Thanks again to everyone who posted different bits. I asked because I really am looking for bits of knowledge. Like they say Knowledge is power. I don't want to just be good I want to be the best I can be.

SwingW/theWing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2015
    Bloomington
    Don't draw attention to yourself. Don't forget that you are a team in basic. Don't matter how good you are if the guy beside you fails. I was in the Corps but basic was awesome. I'll never forget it.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Don't worry about your age.
    Remember that Chris Kyle was mid 20s when he joined the Navy and look at him now. :rolleyes:

Well...........he did great things before he died. :):

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    we do our parts for our country. It's my honor to be able to my part in the military.

When I was "of age" it was during the hangover from the Carter years, when the whole military was totally demoralized, and I was on a career path, anyway. I totally nuked the ASVAB, and the Army recruiter really wanted to get credit for me, but I just couldn't do it at the time. I now regret that. You would be seeing my name in the sniper records.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Timing has finally worked out for me to join. Been wanting to for a few years now. Regret not doing it when I was young, but I figure better late then never.
    Thank you for your service.

Don't worry... I didn't join right out of H.S. either. I worked in the coal mines right out of H.S. for 4 years, it then shut down so I joined the Navy. I'm glad I waited, it made me appreciate it more. Also someone else said take advantage off all the Military has to offer.... That's good advice. After I got out of C school and to my first ship I used the DANTES program to pay for my collage. When I got back on dry land I took all the tests and got my ASS Degree. All for no money out of my pocket.

Once again, Thank You and good luck.

Dave.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Know your job inside out, backwards, sideways and upside down. Know it as thoroughly as you can.
    Be loyal.
    You will be given crap jobs. Do them to the best of your ability and with enthusiasm. People are watching.
    Don't half-ass anything that has your name tied to it. Even if it's sweeping a passageway.
    Being the best at your paygrade gives them incentive to keep you there. Be the best at that and the next step as well.
    Anytime at work or at sea is time dedicated to your next promotion. Waste it at your peril.

What Master Chief says here is absolutely spot on. Live and breathe it during your entire time in the yacht club. As for boot, the only other thing that I could mention that someone else hasn't already said is show some leadership and great marching ability and you may make RPOC or as in my case Squad Leader. Rank does have it's privilege. Keep your situational awareness on high, keep your ears on deep listening, and as others have said engage your mouth only when told to do so. One other tidbit that really worked for me...keep your nose clean and go as a tourist. You're going to get to see and visit places you've only dreamed of seeing, and you'll be paid to do it.

Thanks for your service - be safe and enjoy the adventure!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Be loyal.

Master Chief, just out of curiosity and judging by your avatar and login name, I take it that you were either a Fire Controlman or Gunner's Mate Missiles, of course before you made E-7 and had both the guns and missiles merged into your rating, right?
    I was a GMG2 myself before I finished my obligation.

10Forward

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greenfield
    You're right Great Lakes for boot and then onto Pensacola for A school. I'm gonna be IT. Info tech.

Are you by chance going to 'A' school at Corry Station? I went to 'A' school there myself (former CT here) a long, long time ago; and then went back six years later for a "C" school at NAS. Pensacola is a nice town...but, it's like any other town with an 'A' school there. Do NOT buy a car there (if you need one, buy one at home) and fergodsakes do not buy ANYTHING on contract, even if its a videogame console. There are always rip-off stores near the gate looking to take a sailor's money.

Another shipmate mentioned it earlier; but remember, a big part of boot camp is 'playing the game'. The CC's don't know you from the next guy; and that's exactly what you want. The CC's go home at night just like everyone else at the end of a long day; eat some dinner, watch a little TV, ask the kids if the homework is done, hit the rack...then come back the next morning to do their thing again. Just keep your head low, remember everything you're taught, and you'll be fine.

Good luck to you.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Are you by chance going to 'A' school at Corry Station? I went to 'A' school there myself (former CT here) a long, long time ago; and then went back six years later for a "C" school at NAS. Pensacola is a nice town...but, it's like any other town with an 'A' school there. Do NOT buy a car there (if you need one, buy one at home) and fergodsakes do not buy ANYTHING on contract, even if its a videogame console. There are always rip-off stores near the gate looking to take a sailor's money.

Another shipmate mentioned it earlier; but remember, a big part of boot camp is 'playing the game'. The CC's don't know you from the next guy; and that's exactly what you want. The CC's go home at night just like everyone else at the end of a long day; eat some dinner, watch a little TV, ask the kids if the homework is done, hit the rack...then come back the next morning to do their thing again. Just keep your head low, remember everything you're taught, and you'll be fine.

Good luck to you.
    I know I'm going to Pensacola, but I"m unsure if I'll be at Cory. I've read it both ways. Thanks for the tip on buying a car. I'm halfway considering buying a car down there only because I won't have worry about rust. (As much.) If I do I'll make sure to buy it well away from Pensacola.
    I don't think I'll have to worry about get mad at the RTCs. I think more than anything I'll have to remember to keep my smart mouth closed.
    No contract buying for me. I think I've pretty much got everything that I'll need ready to go. I'm going to pack a small bag with all that stuff, (laptop etc.) And have my wife bring it to the airport when I fly from boot to ASchool.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Master Chief, just out of curiosity and judging by your avatar and login name, I take it that you were either a Fire Controlman or Gunner's Mate Missiles, of course before you made E-7 and had both the guns and missiles merged into your rating, right?
    I was a GMG2 myself before I finished my obligation.
    Actually I am an OS. I stood AWC and FWC watches a lot as a Chief and Senior Chief. Was on an NTU Cruiser and an AEGIS DDG. Loved shooting missiles. ;)

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    I joined the mens department of the navy (usmc) I got a couple buddies who are fleet corpsman and they they said it's easy just do what your told And pay attention.

BrinNutz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    SBN
    Running on base when not in formation must have gone away at least fifteen years ago.

I'm there once a month for drill....

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Tried to join the Marines, but recruiter told me because I could dig a ditch and think for myself I was over qualified. So, I joined the Navy. :):

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Actually I am an OS. I stood AWC and FWC watches a lot as a Chief and Senior Chief. Was on an NTU Cruiser and an AEGIS DDG. Loved shooting missiles. ;)

Cool
    The first missile shoot I ever saw was from the Leahy class cruiser USS Dale launching one of those huge two stage SM-2ER birds.
    They were several miles away, but the noise was incredible.
    I never thought I would miss it.
    Boy, was I ever wrong. :(

Top Bottom