Any recommendations on Financial Software?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm still using Microsoft Money. It's getting a little glitchy, I think I've taken it further than it was designed for in terms of longevity.

Right now, I've gotten so far behind in keeping up with my transactions, that I'm thinking of throwing my hands up, and NOT typing in all that stuff.
    Instead, maybe start with new software, and start typing in stuff with "now" as the start date.

It doesn't have to be complicated. I'm basically looking for an electronic register for checking, savings, 401k, credit card, home loan, that type of stuff. And alerting me when bills are due.
    Probably won't take it online. I am very UNTRUSTING of having personal stuff online.
    When I use Microsoft money, I put it on a flash drive. And the flash drive is NEVER in, when I'm online.

It would be nice if I could access my Microsoft Money data, or convert it.
    I guess if worse comes to worse, I could just print years of transactions up.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I've relinquished my fears and use a couple online aggregators that are "read only" to my various accounts. My financial advisor is bringing one online supported by NML soon, but currently I use both Mint and Personal Capital. These won't be helpful to you if it had to be an offline solution, but I find them very handy. The two I use will aggregate everything from 401(k)s, IRA/Roths, brokerage accounts, deferred compensation plans, bank accounts, Zillow real estate valuations, and any custom loans/assets/liabilities you choose to enter manually. Plus you can set budgets, bill alerts, a bunch if other stuff.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've used Quicken since '03 with no real complaints. I'm find with it being online, and its pretty convenient to click a button, enter a passcode, and have all of my accounts updated. I'm not real worried about someone stealing my data that way, there's a lot of easier and lower tech methods, from credit card skimmers to cloning the card when the waiter takes it away, for me to have much fear about my data running through the Internet.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You guys are giving me some great info so far. Thanks.

I've used Quicken since '03 with no real complaints. I'm find with it being online, and its pretty convenient to click a button, enter a passcode, and have all of my accounts updated. I'm not real worried about someone stealing my data that way, there's a lot of easier and lower tech methods, from credit card skimmers to cloning the card when the waiter takes it away, for me to have much fear about my data running through the Internet.

I'm paranoid.
    I'm the guy that pissed everyone off in the Navy, because I actually believed in checking clearances and passes for strangers.

gklatv

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    +1 on Quicken.
    Been using it for many years, it works well for me.
    Quicken requires updated version every 3 years for functioning online downloads from banks.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Anyone know if Quicken can convert my files from Microsoft Money?
    Or am I looking at dumping years of stuff to paper?

Or any of the other software.
    I'm leaning towards Quicken. But not decided yet.
    Being able to keep my existing files, just converted is a nice option.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    If you just do basic banking & budget then Quicken or Money Dance will propably work for you.. But Quicken has been getting more flakey with each new version since 2010.. They have dropped their QIF file support, so if you bank does not subscribe to their new QFX file format you may not be able to download direct to quicken..
    If you have an investment portfolio & / or small biz / rental homes.. Quicken is about the only choice.. BUt it does have so big flaws that you have to watch for..

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you just do basic banking & budget then Quicken or Money Dance will propably work for you.. But Quicken has been getting more flakey with each new version since 2010.. They have dropped their QIF file support, so if you bank does not subscribe to their new QFX file format you may not be able to download direct to quicken..
    If you have an investment portfolio & / or small biz / rental homes.. Quicken is about the only choice.. BUt it does have so big flaws that you have to watch for..

No rental, or small business.

Just a couple shares of some stocks.

What are the flaws? QIF/QPX? Not interested in online stuff. Everything probably done to a flash drive, which is never in when connected to the internet.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    No rental, or small business.

Just a couple shares of some stocks.

What are the flaws? QIF/QPX? Not interested in online stuff. Everything probably done to a flash drive, which is never in when connected to the internet.

CHecking accounts will not import QIF files, so if that is what you use with your thumb drive you will have to do a work around..
    The past few versions have become less & less keyboard freindly, if you have a lot of transactions to enter you have to keep switching form keyboard to mouse & back..
    the current 2014 version also has a problem with focus, if you copy & paste transactions it does not put focus back to the transaction you just pasted..
    some times imports of transaction from a bank may need editing before accepting, it used to allow you to edit & save it, then it would mark it as accepted, now sometimes it makes a 2nd copy of the transaction..
    Most of the really big short comings have to do with stock investments.. It only allows you to deal it Return of Capital in one way, oldest lot first - not a per share basis, it also has no transaction for option contracts other than employee options..
    So you have to enter them as short sales sometimes..
    Other users on the intuit forums report problems with the current budget planning, i do not use it so I can not say first hand ..

QIF was the file import format that quicken first made. it was the format that banks would send your transaction in, it is a text based format so it is not encrypted.. It is also now an open format.. anyone can use it with out paying Intuit $..
    so now Quicken has moved on to QFX format, a format that supports encryption, & must be licensed from Intuit for banks to use..

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    I looked at Quicken a while back and also compared others. I found Moneydance and started using a trial version three years ago. I liked it so well I upgraded after only a few weeks and have been happy with it ever since. Well until the credit union switched to a new billpay system the is not compatible with any financial software. Money dance will do what you want for a lot less than Quicken.
    Moneydance - Personal Finance Manager for Mac, Windows, and Linux | Infinite Kind

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have used Quicken for 20 some odd years. Converting can be a mess. Start fresh.

I use it for both my home and business. Everything is purchased with the bus or pers. credit card so it will automatically categorize the transactions. Makes it easy to pull up all the expenses at the end of the year for my Sub S corp and personal. Turbotax is then a breeze after your initial use of it.

Its not perfect but I will continue to use it.

Top Bottom