• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    Anyone have a safe moving company that can move a 950# safe in northwest Indiana? FYI, I have tried Brandy's, the guy that moves safes for Blythe's, Bills movers, and Chicago safe movers. I am trying to move it by Thursday. Brandy's has not called me back-I have been calling every day since Thursday. The dude for Blythe's has truck issues. Bills movers and Chicago safe movers both want waaaay too much ($1,000). I tried moving it with 3 strong dude's. We never even got it on the trailer.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Might be a silly question, but did you try removing the door before you tried to move it? Ost safe doors are about 1/3 of the total weight and the vast majority lift straight up off of the hinge pins.
    The trick is not getting the door off, but getty it back on.
    I've moved several 600 lb safes with only 3 people by removing the doors first.
    Good luck

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    Might be a silly question, but did you try removing the door before you tried to move it? Ost safe doors are about 1/3 of the total weight and the vast majority lift straight up off of the hinge pins.
    The trick is not getting the door off, but getty it back on.
    I've moved several 600 lb safes with only 3 people by removing the doors first.
    Good luck
    Does not appear the door can be without cutting the pin.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    You need to open the door at least 3/4 of the way open, then lift straight up.
    I didn't say it was easy, but it does make moving tho safe easier.
    What brand name is your safe?

Attachments

• 343465428_6165329746859905_6647560539175979275_n.jpg
      343465428_6165329746859905_6647560539175979275_n.jpg
      179.1 KB · Views: 43

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    This guy moved mine, got his number from a buddy. Reasonable prices when he moved two 600lb safes

Attachments

• IMG_7830.png
      IMG_7830.png
      799.6 KB · Views: 11

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I moved a 900 lb safe with 2 friends (and none of us are particularly strong.) It's all about leverage and devices. We got it up 3 steps with nothing more than a rented appliance dolly and a car jack. I had a friend get a > 1200 lb safe down into a basement with a winch and pulley system. We also moved a full-size vending machine (about 800 lbs) into a basement with an appliance dolly. (really cheap to rent; readily available at Menards, Home Depot, etc...)

What are your specific moving challenges? Through doorways? up / down stairs? Into pickup truck? There are specific (Macgyver style) solutions for each issue.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I moved a 900 lb safe with 2 friends (and none of us are particularly strong.) It's all about leverage and devices. We got it up 3 steps with nothing more than a rented appliance dolly and a car jack. I had a friend get a > 1200 lb safe down into a basement with a winch and pulley system. We also moved a full-size vending machine (about 800 lbs) into a basement with an appliance dolly. (really cheap to rent; readily available at Menards, Home Depot, etc...)

What are your specific moving challenges? Through doorways? up / down stairs? Into pickup truck? There are specific (Macgyver style) solutions for each issue.
    I am pretty big on being self sufficient. I have not had a car at a mechanic or had service person in my home (except for a/c recharge) in 10 years. Brakes, transmissions, sewer rodding, electrical issues, carb rebuilds, removing walls, etc. Youtube and I can fumble our way through it. This one just isn't worth it. I have a flight of stairs to traverse and by the time rented the necessary dollies/stair climbing dolly, etc. I would save $150. The potential to seriously hurt someone is not worth the risk. I don't think I will be buying one of these mega secure "real" safes ever again either.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I am pretty big on being self sufficient. I have not had a car at a mechanic or had service person in my home (except for a/c recharge) in 10 years. Brakes, transmissions, sewer rodding, electrical issues, carb rebuilds, removing walls, etc. Youtube and I can fumble our way through it. This one just isn't worth it. I have a flight of stairs to traverse and by the time rented the necessary dollies/stair climbing dolly, etc. I would save $150. The potential to seriously hurt someone is not worth the risk. I don't think I will be buying one of these mega secure "real" safes ever again either.

Fair enough. A full flight of stairs is a major obstacle that takes quite a bit to overcome. Sometimes (but only occasionally) it does make sense to hire a pro.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've moved my safe which is that big and looks bigger than the one in your picture.

I had a cargo trailer with a ramp, and had the safe on it's side on a heavy duty dolly that also had wheels on the back so when you laid it down it would roll.

Three of us rolled it up the ramp, strapped the dolly so it didn't roll and drove to where we moved it.
    Then rolled it down the trailer ramp when we got there and moved it where we needed it.

Top Bottom