• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I have a shelf unit I want to blueprint out. Without getting out pencil and paper. Any free Cad program for a novice? Mostly a bunch of rectangles and notes. Mark in some dimensions.

Lpherr

Occupied
    CAD is CAD. There are free ones that will work for dimensioning and simple 2D stuff.
    Or if you want to 3D it, there's Fusion 360 (steep curve), and some use Sketchup.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    I had to use FreeCAD for a project a few years ago for a customer who insisted on receiving all data in native FreeCAD. I think I could have done a better job using an Etch-A-Sketch and a Polaroid camera. I should have just gotten out my drafting board and hand drawn everything after the fact.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I had to use FreeCAD for a project a few years ago for a customer who insisted on receiving all data in native FreeCAD. I think I could have done a better job using an Etch-A-Sketch and a Polaroid camera. I should have just gotten out my drafting board and hand drawn everything after the fact.
    You said it... After a few hours I think I drew everything wrong. At least I can't figure out how to assemble the parts. One guy has about 40 U/T videos on how to use it. Each about half hour long. Something else I need to learn. It would be nice to have it on my I know how to do list. If I live that long.

The videos are great. A guy says do it this way... Click, click, click click, click, click, click and my screen buttons are in a different order than his. While I pause the video and try to figure out what he clicked on and why the buttons are greyed out.

BTW thanks for the help. I am a slow learner. I guess I need the teacher over my shoulder telling me what I am doing wrong.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    I've got over 30 years in CAD along with teaching it for a local career center and 4 years for Purdue local campus. I use multiple programs and translations. I guess you get what you pay for. Personally, I really like Rhino for a low budget CAD package, but you can get a hobby version of Solidworks for something like $120 per year.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    You all should check out Onshape. After 30 years running AutoCAD, Pro/E and SolidWorks Onshape is a true game-changer. Designing multiple, inter-related parts in one environment (what Onshape calls a ”Part studio”) is a much better way to design.

Onshape runs in the Cloud and has built-in collaboration tools and runs on practically any platform including mobile. No hot rod CAD workstation required. Download and try for free here:

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I hate that all the decent software now is cloud/subscription based. If the company folds, disappears, internet is down/unavailable for any reason or you stop paying, your data is either inaccessible or orphaned.

I have local apps that are 20-30 years old now and I can still use them in a pinch to open/modify my files.

F the c**ksucking leeches of the SW industry.

FYI, if you just want to design/draw something simple like woodworking plans (shelves, tables, etc.) and don't need any 3-D features, LibreOffice Draw does have scaling & dimension line capabilities and is very simple to use, is open source and is available on all platforms. That doesn't mean it has to free ($$), I'll gladly pay for quality, easy to use software and pay for learning, support and updates.

Yeah, I use, support, contribute and advocate Open Source systems. I am a big believer that software/data should be open to all.

Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Took many years/hours in highschool and college. Use to be pretty decent and LOVED 3D. Now I would be lucky to draw a straight line. We used autodesk/auto cad back then.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Took many years/hours in highschool and college. Use to be pretty decent and LOVED 3D. Now I would be lucky to draw a straight line. We used autodesk/auto cad back then.
    3 years of drafting in high school. I was/am good at it.. but I haven't used it in decades. That was back before there were computers. Or at least before computers were common for drafting. I still have all my drafting tools somewhere. 6h pencil anyone??

Most of the online stuff is way high tech for simple projects. Easier to bring out pencil and paper.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    3 years of drafting in high school. I was/am good at it.. but I haven't used it in decades. That was back before there were computers. Or at least before computers were common for drafting. I still have all my drafting tools somewhere. 6h pencil anyone??

Most of the online stuff is way high tech for simple projects. Easier to bring out pencil and paper.
    We had a semester on the table to learn the basics. That was as far as you could go on the boards. Off to the computers it was from there on out.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    We had a semester on the table to learn the basics. That was as far as you could go on the boards. Off to the computers it was from there on out.
    I was pretty good. I think all As. As long as it wasn't freehand everything looked good. Except the arrow heads. They were free hand. I think Mr. Zolman is still rolling over in his grave thinking about them!! Rest his soul.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I was pretty good. I think all As. As long as it wasn't freehand everything looked good. Except the arrow heads. They were free hand. I think Mr. Zolman is still rolling over in his grave thinking about them!! Rest his soul.
    I am sure Mr. Leeke probably has nightmares about our class as well!

Lpherr

Occupied
    Fusion 360 is free to hobbyists. It's becoming a standard design platform.
    I need to take the time to improve my skills with it.

A lot of the freeware is proprietary and won't export in a usable extension. So if sharing the file, or changing programs, you would have to start over.
    Sketchup has been around a long time, and there are plenty of resources for help.

Top Bottom