• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    blainepoe, you can shoot skeet with your Mossy. Even if you don't have screw-in chokes, if yer gun is choked cylinder or improved cylinder it'll do. I shot many rounds of skeet with an 870 with the 18" slug barrel (smooth bore, choked Improved) and ran plenty of 25's. The farthest target in skeet is only about 22 yds if you let it run out on ya.....

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    blainepoe, you can shoot skeet with your Mossy. Even if you don't have screw-in chokes, if yer gun is choked cylinder or improved cylinder it'll do. I shot many rounds of skeet with an 870 with the 18" slug barrel (smooth bore, choked Improved) and ran plenty of 25's. The farthest target in skeet is only about 22 yds if you let it run out on ya.....

Thanks for the insight I'll have to give it a shot soon (pardon the pun).

~Joe

younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Indiana Gun Clubber here... Dad's ol' 870 mostly.... however I did smoke some older fella's back in Ohio at a friday night trap shoot with my great grandpa's model 97 "knuckle buster" when I was 15... haven't shot too many birds since. (Did in florida on spring break a few weeks back)

The guy's at Indiana Gun Club are great the shop is nice and if I'm not mistaken you can pick up any gun in the shop that has a certain color tag and use it for the day... am I remembering wrong? It's been awhile.

-K

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I shot Trap, and a shot gun for that matter, for the first time in October, 2007

I haven't been back to the In Gun Club yet, but it's only a mile and a half from my house.

Buying shells there, if you've got a shotgun, it's only $5.95 for 25 shells, and another $5 for 25 birds. Not a bad deal at all.

I'm looking forward to going more frequently now that it's not stupid cold ;)

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    Indiana Gun Clubber here... Dad's ol' 870 mostly.... however I did smoke some older fella's back in Ohio at a friday night trap shoot with my great grandpa's model 97 "knuckle buster" when I was 15... haven't shot too many birds since. (Did in florida on spring break a few weeks back)

The guy's at Indiana Gun Club are great the shop is nice and if I'm not mistaken you can pick up any gun in the shop that has a certain color tag and use it for the day... am I remembering wrong? It's been awhile.

-K

I went there once on a group outting, but did not realize it was a public access place. Prices sound good, judging by their website they have good hours too, have to go back soon....:)

~Joe

Virtus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Fishers
    Have a membership to the Gun Club, it is a great place to shoot. Like W9ZEB I am only like a mile and 1/2 from it. You can still go in an "rent" most guns they have there, but they had to add a charge of $5 because someone took one out the door and never returned. Club membership ($50/year) just lowers the rate of clays to $4 per round (25). There are also a couple instructors available upon request to get better at hitting those clays. If you are looking to buy, they have the best selection of used/new shotguns in the state. If you want to go over and try it out sometime, just PM me and we can meet over there and shoot.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Do they do shotgun rentals there [Crooked Creek]? All I have is a 930 mossy shorty, but that place is basically in my backyard. Plus I would want to do a lot of shooting before I shelled out the bucks for a nice skeet cannon.

Thanks,
    ~Joe

If he is talking about Indiana Gun Club, yeah you can use any of their used shotguns, even the really expensive ones. Just if you break it, you buy it. :D

I want to try either skeet or trap, but I don't want to do it alone (i.e. I would like someone that could help me learn to go with me) and every time I have tried the plans have fallen through. If I do, it will probably be at Indiana Gun Club. I haven't shot there, but I did buy my Winchester 94 there and they were super cool and easy to deal with.

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    :thumbsup: Thumbs up to the Indiana Gun Club. Virtus and I hit the clays there today. Not much of a crowd and great weather. They have a huge selection of shotguns and ample rentals available (6 or 8). Shot 3 rounds and paid ~$35 for three rounds including ammo and rental gun. Thanks for the help easing into it Virtus :). We'll head out there again soon.

~Joe

Mr. Mysterious

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Virtus, I might have to take you up on that offer. I live in the Saxony area and am interested into trying some shotgun sports.

The military has made me pretty proficient with rifles and I've shot handguns quite a bit the last few years but unfortunately since I stopped hunting at 13 years old I haven't shot a shotgun.

Virtus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Fishers
    Just send me a PM when you want to go over there (WED/FRI/SAT/SUN are the days they are open). I got BlainePoe hooked on Trap when we went there a couple weeks ago. I know W9ZEB also shoots over there too.

Mr. Mysterious

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Just send me a PM when you want to go over there (WED/FRI/SAT/SUN are the days they are open). I got BlainePoe hooked on Trap when we went there a couple weeks ago. I know W9ZEB also shoots over there too.

Just curious, are there any age restrictions? I wouldn't mind bringing a 14 year old son of a friend. I think that he might enjoy it.

On a side note, if I was to purchase a shotgun what are some suggestions? Auto or pump? Remy 870, 11-87, Moss 500? a Charles Daly?

Virtus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Fishers
    Only age restrictions are 18 and under has to be with Adult. I have seen several different Scout groups there at different days. As for a shotgun choice, I would just try different ones out and see which is best before purchase. The gun club has the largest selection of shotguns (used/new) to choose from in the state. I have a Beretta 391 semi-auto which is just fine for trap/skeet. The Remi 1187 is another popular one. I am just saving to purchase a nice O/U sometime, but am running through cash with ammo right now :n00b:

kong1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Pendleton
    Membership to the Indiana Gun Club is $50 for the first year only. After that it is $25 per year. If you think trap and skeet are fun, you should drive on back and give sporting clays a try. They don't have their woods course any more but they still have a range down at the end of the skeet ranges. I used to shoot trap seriously all over the country, but once I shot sporting, I was hooked and haven't shot trap since. You can shoot any gun you want for sporting as long as it holds 2 rounds. Try it sometime and then try to wipe that smile off your face......

Top Bottom