• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I just cut down a descent walnut tree and want to stabilize a couple pieces to play with. I have never dried our fresh cut lumber before so need some help.

What do I need to do? Thanks

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    If you don't know anybody with a kiln to dry it in put it up with spacers between the boards and let it air dry for a loooong time lol walnut will take a while to dry probably 6 mo to a year minimum.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    what size are we talking here? I've turned green wood on the lathe before, and once you are done with the rough turning, you put it in a bag smothered in vegetable oil. Let it set for several days, reapplying the oil often. Basically, the oil replaces the water in the wood and helps stabilize it.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    If you don't know anybody with a kiln to dry it in put it up with spacers between the boards and let it air dry for a loooong time lol walnut will take a while to dry probably 6 mo to a year minimum.

:+1:Place it in a place with good air circulation and out of the elements. Seal the ends of the boards, I usually just hit the ends with some spray paint, you want the wood to dry from the sides and not out the end grain. What size pieces are you talking about? With small pieces that I can put on a scale I weigh them at regular intervals, when they stop losing weight the have dried as much as they are going to. Not the most scientific method but it seems to work, I don't have a moisture meter.
    Another option if you have the space to build one is a solar kiln.
    AW Extra - Solar Kiln - Woodworking Projects - American Woodworker

If the pieces are small enough you can also treat it with peg to stablize it.
    http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/projects/archive/2009/09/29/solar-kiln.aspx

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    wood

You can seal the ends with latex paint. It's cheap (get a wrong mix color at Lowes for cheap) and place sticks between the boards to allow air circulation. It takes 1 year per inch of thickness to dry lumber. Walnut may take another 2 months. Keep the elements off it and allow air to flow around the stack. Have fun. Then all you have to do is wait....:popcorn:

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You didn't mention if you had it rough milled yet or not. If not try to get it milled somewhere then follow the drying directions above including painting the ends of the boards. If you're thinking about turning or carving and are using larger chunks still paint the ends, but it's gonna take a year or so to season properly.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Ooh, I have a pretty nice juglans nigra (black walnut) tree I'm fixing to remove, replacing with juglans regia (real walnuts :)). I'll apply the tips here. As far as cutting, is there any pattern to use, or do you just slice the thing lengthwise? Have some maples, as well.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Agree with what everyone says on here, and would remind you that depending on what you're going to do with it, you can always make a thick board thinner (resawing, planing, etc.), doesn't work so well going the other way. If you have nice grain go 8/4, it allows you to bookmatch if you want.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Ooh, I have a pretty nice juglans nigra (black walnut) tree I'm fixing to remove, replacing with juglans regia (real walnuts :)). I'll apply the tips here. As far as cutting, is there any pattern to use, or do you just slice the thing lengthwise? Have some maples, as well.
    Depending on the diameter of the log, please consider cutting it like a loaf of bread. Clock people love this stuff! :twocents:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I think at the base it's >8", so good for a few boards at least. Maybe slice the upper part, though, since you mention it.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Ok, the tree I cut down was about 24" in diameter. I cut a few slices off like a loaf bread with the thickest piece about 5" and the thinnest about 2". All my cut pieces still have the bark all the around the outside. I would like to make knife and gun grips for the most part. And maybe some small odds and ends as well.

Top Bottom