• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    I am taking my youth group to the International Youth Convention in Denver July 4-8.

We don't have a lot of free time, but we will be looking for something to do by about noon on the July 7th. I have a group of 7 highschool kids and I am wondering if there is something to do downtown so I don't have to rent another 10 passenger van. I'm aware of the trips you can take to go white water rafting and such, and if we can't find something fun downtown, then that might be an option......but I'd rather not leave downtown if possible.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I was almost flattened by a bus in Denver. I was at strip-mall with my senior football team (went hiking for a week in Medicine Bow, WY) when I was about to cross the street. I've known to look both ways before crossing the street since I was two. I looked left (one way road) put one foot out in the road when my buddy grabbed me and with every inch of strength in his body just fast enough to pull me back from getting hit by a bus going ~60+ MPH from the left. If he didn't grab me, it would have been an awesome scene for a Final Destination movie.

Oh yeah, I cant help you out with your question as we were only there for the night. You are welcome for the story though (sorry, that's all I ever think about when someone mentions Denver).:laugh:

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Check and see if the Rockies have a home game that day. The stadium is great and downtown is very walkable. As long as they aren't playing the Cubs, tickets are usually pretty easy to come by.

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Check and see if the Rockies have a home game that day. The stadium is great and downtown is very walkable. As long as they aren't playing the Cubs, tickets are usually pretty easy to come by.

I wonder if the Cubs are still that big of a draw given that they have been in the basement for so long. I am a life-long fan and I would not pay money to see them.

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    Spent the first 20 years of my life there and was back last week.

As ArmedRpH mentioned, Lo-Do (LowerDowntown) by the stadium has been redone and nice to walk around. The 16th Street Mall is another area right downtown that has tons of weird shops. It's a pedestrian mall, so other than the busses, you're free to walk the streets.

The capital building used to be open for tours, as is the Denver Mint just across the open area to the west. (check online for tour times, etc).

Elitch Gardens is an amusement park that's on the west end of downtown, and there used to be an aquiarium near there as well, but I think it bacame a resturant (Landry's maybe?)

That's all I can think of right downtown. If you expand your area, there's lots more to do (you could always watch "Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead")

S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    Try the 16th Street Mall for mid-day and evening.

Do the Mint. Might have trouble with tickets, but do the standby method - it works.

The Capital Building tour is cool as well.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I spent an hour in downtown Denver while killing time before picking up the schlubs that flew there instead of driving like I did. I saw two accidents and nearly was involved in a third. Yes it was winter, no the roads were not in bad shape at all.

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012

My brother lives in Denver, and as life long Cubs fans (yes, pity me) the Cubs tickets are always hard to get. Doesn't matter how much they suck this century, Cubs fans are die hard. That being said, it's one heck of a party if you can get tickets to that series.

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    The zoo and natural history museum are decent, just north of downtown on Colorado Blvd.

The Denver Museum of Art and Colorado History Museum are across the street from each other a block or two south of the capital (we were tortured with this on Honor Roll field trips in elementary school).

Lots of ideas, but honestly, I'm thinking most teens would be happier if you just dropped them off at the nearest Starbux and let them text the person sitting across the table from them for a couple hours while you go do whatever you want....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    The colorado history museum and the denver aquarium are both downtown.

I talked to an official from the denver mint at the National Money Show 2 weeks ago and the don't do standby tours anymore.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    I'll be at that same event. Denver has a lot to offer try to catch a game if you can. There are some good areas to just get out and walk around as well.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    Thanks for the responses.

Not sure what we'll do yet, but the mint sounds pretty interesting. I had already checked the baseball schedule, and they're playing away that week.

Top Bottom