anybody ever sharpened the edge of a dogtag?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I read an article about the ranger rick survival necklaces, and the guy ended up sharpening the edge of a dogtag for use as a last, last, last resort blade.

Anybody ever tried it? I figure you could sharpen and edge and throw a silencer over it just in case.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    It'd be like a single edged razor blade. Plus, the stamping would give it a bit of grip. I've personally never cut myself with a razor blade.

Obviously not ideal, but better than nothing.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I took the balsa handle off a short rapala filet knife. Then I made a prison shank style handle for it. When it is in my gear, the blade stores inside the handle. To use it, I reverse and put blade shank inside the handle and use it.

You can do the same with a dog tag. Make a cover for the edged side. To use it reverse it to the opposite side and use slowly. Think rubber tube. Maybe retain it with a piece of rubber bike tube. There are better options if you want something flat with an edge.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Yes I have.

It is very hard to do and does not worth a damn.

Have been wearing a Sharpened Dog Tag for 22 Years and have yet to have a self-inflicted wound with it. The Caveat to that is that my tags are taped together for no rattle tattle wear.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Yes I have.

It is very hard to do and does not worth a damn.

Have been wearing a Sharpened Dog Tag for 22 Years and have yet to have a self-inflicted wound with it. The Caveat to that is that my tags are taped together for no rattle tattle wear.

To clarify. Are you wearing a sharpened aluminum-issue dog tag or are you wearing a purpose-built knife like in the pictures above?

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Well I was planning on stamping my name, blood type, alleries, etc.

...i'd seen those titanium ones, but, considering a normal set of stainless ones are like 7 bucks, 30 something dollars isn't going to happen. Lol

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Another conventional option is a SOG micron, they are very tiny & thus can be easily carried attached to a necklace or key chain.

I have had one on my key chain for a couple of years, it's held up remarkably well & has come in very handy.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    To clarify. Are you wearing a sharpened aluminum-issue dog tag or are you wearing a purpose-built knife like in the pictures above?

I am wearing a GI Dog Tag w/ an edge on it. I placed the sharpened edge on it back in 1990. I mainly wear it out of habit as much as any other reason. Cause you are not going to do a whole hell of a lot with it. It was truly a last ditch my buttocks are in the fire tool. ;)

I do also have a Purpose built one (The Original Dog Tag Knife) as well in my boot laces with Red Tag in the laces of the opposite boot.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I am wearing a GI Dog Tag w/ an edge on it. I placed the sharpened edge on it back in 1990. I mainly wear it out of habit as much as any other reason. Cause you are not going to do a whole hell of a lot with it. It was truly a last ditch my buttocks are in the fire tool. ;)

I do also have a Purpose built one (The Original Dog Tag Knife) as well in my boot laces with Red Tag in the laces of the opposite boot.

For that you may want to carry a fire extinguisher and burn gel dressings. :):

I used to carry my dog tags but I stopped doing it, I rather carry a real fixed blade knife around my neck as a last ditch option.It's much quicker to use and more effective should you use it for self defense.
    Most people think it's a dog tag or something like that when they see the chain around my neck, and not a full size dagger.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom