• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steady Glock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Just wondering if anyone on here owns a Glock 30. I'm in the market for one and want to know if there are any reviews out there. Thanks.

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    I don't own one, but I've shot them a few times:

Bad:
    -A bit bulky (the 36 is a little thinner, but not all that much).
    -Last round barely fits in mag (best to leave it out).

Good:
    -Surprisingly accurate, controllable, and easy to shoot for a small .45.
    -10+1 capacity (though I'd say it's really 9+1 -- like I said, the last round doesn't really fit in the mag -- but that's still pretty good).
    -I think they offer an SF (slim frame) version of it, which is more comfortable for most people.
    -Glock light.
    -Glock simple.
    -Glock reliable.

Overall: Highly recommended. :yesway::yesway:

Steady Glock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Great info, thanks!

Do you own a Glock? My only reference at this point is the Glock 17, which happens to fit my hand so perfect that it's almost creepy. If you have any reference for how the G17 feels, can you make any comparison the the G30? Let me know....and thanks again for the info!!

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    I don't own the 17 either, but I've shot it recently as well.

The grips are quite different. The 17 is thin. The arch is situated low, beneath and cradling the heel of the hand.

The 30, in contrast, feels pretty thick. Since the frame is subcompact (extended mag notwithstanding), the arch is much higher so that really only the web of your hand is in the recessed area, the meatier parts of the heel enveloping the arch. It's actually more comfortable than it sounds, and provides a nice, secure grip on the little pistol.

It'll be different, but I think it'll do great for you. I think Glock had a particular hand size in mind when it designed all the grips (probably what it considered the "average" -- which I imagine is why my 6'1" above-average hands are just a tad too big), and if one of them fits you perfectly, I bet they all will. (I'm not accounting for the caliber difference, of course, but I bet Glock did that for me.)

But go to the shop and try it out in your hand to make sure.

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    Wouldn't the Glock 21 be about the same size as the 17? That might be a better fit if you like the 17. I'm not completely sure but it seems right to me.
    That's because the 21 is a full-size like the 17. The 30 is a compact/subcompact, making it more convenient to carry, and likely the reason he's looking at it.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    That's because the 21 is a full-size like the 17. The 30 is a compact/subcompact, making it more convenient to carry, and likely the reason he's looking at it.

I have been thinking about that since my break when I posted. If a guy is already use to a 17 he may want to look at the 26 for cc. I would think he would shoot close to the same with it.

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    I have been thinking about that since my break when I posted. If a guy is already use to a 17 he may want to look at the 26 for cc. I would think he would shoot close to the same with it.
    Good point!

Glock Steady:
    Were you wanting to switch to a .45? Or would you be content sticking with 9mm? If the latter, you may want to take a hard look at the 26, which is the subcompact version of the 17. It's a fair bit smaller and more concealable (both height and width) than the 30, yet has the same capacity (10+1) due to the smaller caliber. (Disclaimer: I haven't shot this one yet, so I can only offer the stats, no review.)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2009
    I carry a Glock 30 and it is an awesome firearm. It is a solid chunk of a gun and it is reliable and a straight shooter. +1 on the only 9 rounds in the mag. I just can't seem to seem to fit in the last round. If you do get one I recommend the pierce finger extension for your magazine, so your pinky finger has somewhere to rest. I cannot say anything bad about the Glock 30. Shoot one, then buy one, you won't be disappointed.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Steady: It sounds like you're traveling the same path I've taken. First Glock--the Classic G17. For the same reason as you: it fits my hands perfectly. Second Glock--G30SF. It is a great platform. Between the two guns, you will have numerous carry options and a lot of fun at the range. I highly recommend owning two cals because you know variety is the spice. If the 17 fits you well so will the 30/30SF. You will love its shooting action and the ability to load it with 9, 10 or 13 round mags. Yes, this means you essentially are getting a subcompact, compact and full size in one gun. I bought my 30SF in February of this year and yes, it has taken some breaking in. The mags are tough to get that last round in and a tight fit in the gun. But, like all Glocks, it will loosen up. You will love it, I guarantee it. In fact, I will back stop your purchase by offering you 90% of what you pay if you don't like it. Just do it.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have a 30, and I like it. I fell in love with my son's and had to have one of my own. That Glock was my second handgun.

Now I have too many handguns. I carry a 27 every day and don't need the 30, really. The 30 is expendable. I'd probably be willing to sell it for a reasonable price and I can probably scrape up a holster or two that I bought for it, too.

Anyway, the 30 is a good gun. Not too small to hold, but small enough to conceal. If you want .45 ACP, the 30 is a good choice.

Addendum: Mine is a pre-rail model. I bought it used and haven't put more than 50 rounds through it myself. It's in decent shape. Glocks -- to me -- are working guns, not collectors' items.

Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Rmcrob- Do any of the 30s have rails?

I had one. (Still have a 22 and had a 19.) The 30 was uber-reliable and quite accurate for its size.

Down side? It didn't fit my hands at all. It felt quite thick and blocky. I didn't enjoy the ergos in carrying it.

If I wanted another Glock .45, it would probably be a 36.

If it fits your hands, you're golden!

Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Interesting. I guess I've only seen the older ones. :) I can't imagine wanting to railmount on a gun with that short of a barrel but... hey? They put 'em on the PF9. :rolleyes:

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Is it tiny?

I was picturing a light hanging off one of those lil plastic PF9s - hard to imagine.

It comes down about as far as the trigger guard. The sights on the PF9 are almost non-existent, so the laser is useful. I wouldn't want that gun as my main EDC, but it's a nice BUG.

I couldnt' see a light on it, either. But, hey, you can get a bayonet for a handgun rail. There's no accounting for taste.

Top Bottom