• ...and so much more!
  • 999cs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    NWI
    Hello,
    Not sure if this is the right spot to be posting this question as I am new here. If not, please feel free to move it to correct spot. Anyways,

I was thinking of getting one of these(model with brace), but don't have any experience with them and have some questions. If anyone here owns one, I would love to hear your thoughts on it. some questions I have are:

Can you change out the pistol grips on it like an AR15? If so which ones work or won't work? I am partial to the magpul MOE+ grips.

Same question as first but with the front handguard. I really like the look of the mlok ones from magpul, but not all models come with it.

Any issues/concerns with function/reliability?

How well do they suppress if I decide to buy a suppressor?

Thanks for your help and look forward to your feedback everyone :)

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The pistol grip and handguard are standard AK, so most any will fit. Very early models had some teething problems but these were worked out a while ago. FYI there is a nice one in the classifieds for sale.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Happy owner here with about 1,500 rounds, many suppressed, through mine and no hiccups.

You can change out pistol grips, yes. Are you familiar with the AK in general? The process is the same for the AK-V. Same for handguards.

No issues with mine, but some of the early models had a couple problems with spent rounds getting stuck inside, so PSA rolled out the so-called "MAC bracket." If you buy a new AK-V, yours will have this feature. If you buy used and it's a pre-bracket model, I understand PSA will install that for you.

Thread pitch is 1/2x28. I run a Wolfman direct threaded on mine and again, no issues at all.

Anything else I can (hopefully) help with?

JHwwFsmh.jpg

999cs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    NWI
    The pistol grip and handguard are standard AK, so most any will fit. Very early models had some teething problems but these were worked out a while ago. FYI there is a nice one in the classifieds for sale.
    OK-thanks for the info. I will check it out.

999cs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    NWI
    Happy owner here with about 1,500 rounds, many suppressed, through mine and no hiccups.

You can change out pistol grips, yes. Are you familiar with the AK in general? The process is the same for the AK-V. Same for handguards.

No issues with mine, but some of the early models had a couple problems with spent rounds getting stuck inside, so PSA rolled out the so-called "MAC bracket." If you buy a new AK-V, yours will have this feature. If you buy used and it's a pre-bracket model, I understand PSA will install that for you.

Thread pitch is 1/2x28. I run a Wolfman direct threaded on mine and again, no issues at all.

Anything else I can (hopefully) help with?

JHwwFsmh.jpg
    Nice-1500 rounds and still going strong? That's good to hear.

Yes-I am pretty familiar with AK's and from what I understand the mechanics are the same, except the mags go straight in like an AR and do not rock in like an AK.

I also was told that they have bolt hold open and a switch on the left side to close the bolt.

Good to hear that you can change out the grips and handguards. In the event I can only get my hands on the classic, I would like to upgrade it all to the Magpul furniture as I like the look and the MLOK on the lower handguard.

I didn't know about the mac bracket-in the event I can find one used, what do I look for? I am going to check out youtube as well to find out more.

Good to know that the thread pitch isn't some weird one-1/2x28 is awesome. Wolfman suppressors-that's Dead Air right? Those are supposed to be some sweet cans.

Love the look of yours-exactly the Magpul stuff I would like on mine. That banana clip is awesome! Is that from PSA as well?

I did think of some other questions. I see yours has the ALG trigger. What do you think of it? I know some models don't come with it and am wondering if it is worth the upgrade.

How does that red dot do in regards to holding zero? I am wondering as the pic rail is mounted to that hinged top cover. Do you find yourself having to adjust it again after opening and closing the cover from cleaning bolt, etc?

Thanks as well for your help.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I have had no problems with my red dot holding zero.
    Yes the banana mag came from PSA but very hard to catch in stock.
    I replaced my trigger with the ALG and it makes a big difference. Definitely worth the upgrade

I purchased a folding brace adapter for mine from CNC warrior. Makes for a cool setup.
    I also have their Ar-V. Just as much fun but AR platform. Im kinda a 9mm sub gun junkie. I have a variety

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Yeah man, snag one if you can find one! The AK-V isn't quite as authentic a Russian Vityaz clone as the KP-9/KR-9 from Kalashnikov USA, but having owned both I'm glad I kept the PSA and sold the KUSA. Cheap, plentiful mags (Scorpion EVO mags work as well, and vice versa) and PSA's warranty in case I got a lemon were the big kickers.

I didn't know about the mac bracket-in the event I can find one used, what do I look for?

Look for this "C" looking metal bracket on the left side of this photo that is welded in place:

PSA-AK-V-re-released-3-1.jpg

Good to know that the thread pitch isn't some weird one-1/2x28 is awesome. Wolfman suppressors-that's Dead Air right? Those are supposed to be some sweet cans.

Yes sir, Dead Air. A great, versatile suppressor that I run on a lot of different guns in various calibers. I really want to add a Wolverine to my stable.

That banana clip is awesome! Is that from PSA as well?

Correct - no gun is complete without a meme mag or two!

I see yours has the ALG trigger. What do you think of it? I know some models don't come with it and am wondering if it is worth the upgrade.

Good eye. My ALG is the "EL" model that was "customized" by PSA for the AK-V. Being a fan of ALG and running their triggers in several AKs, I bought this after I bought the gun. Truthfully, I don't see much of a difference over the stock trigger. Maybe slightly crisper and lighter, but the stock trigger works just fine.

How does that red dot do in regards to holding zero? I am wondering as the pic rail is mounted to that hinged top cover. Do you find yourself having to adjust it again after opening and closing the cover from cleaning bolt, etc?

I've had that Burris FastFire3 on there for every round I've fired through the gun. Has not lost zero once, other than having to adjust it slightly to accommodate POI when firing suppressed. Granted, I clean my guns next to never, but have probably cleaned the internals on this thing two or three times. No issues opening/closing the top cover and losing zero.

If you ever find yourself in the Indy area before you grab one of these things, let me know. If I'm free you're welcome to run a couple mags through it to see if you like it.

999cs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    NWI
    I have had no problems with my red dot holding zero.
    Yes the banana mag came from PSA but very hard to catch in stock.
    I replaced my trigger with the ALG and it makes a big difference. Definitely worth the upgrade

I purchased a folding brace adapter for mine from CNC warrior. Makes for a cool setup.
    I also have their Ar-V. Just as much fun but AR platform. Im kinda a 9mm sub gun junkie. I have a variety
    That's good to hear. I have always wondered about how well red dots or even regular optics/scopes worked on any kind of AK platform where the pic rail is on that hinged dust cover.

If I wind up getting one of these I will look to add that ALG trigger if it doesn't already have it. How hard is it to install?

I'll check out CNC warrior-thanks for the tip.

Yeah I am really starting to get into the 9mm PCC stuff too-feel like its all the rage now. Maybe I missed the boat. LOL

999cs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    NWI
    Yeah man, snag one if you can find one! The AK-V isn't quite as authentic a Russian Vityaz clone as the KP-9/KR-9 from Kalashnikov USA, but having owned both I'm glad I kept the PSA and sold the KUSA. Cheap, plentiful mags (Scorpion EVO mags work as well, and vice versa) and PSA's warranty in case I got a lemon were the big kickers.

Look for this "C" looking metal bracket on the left side of this photo that is welded in place:

PSA-AK-V-re-released-3-1.jpg

Yes sir, Dead Air. A great, versatile suppressor that I run on a lot of different guns in various calibers. I really want to add a Wolverine to my stable.

Correct - no gun is complete without a meme mag or two!

Good eye. My ALG is the "EL" model that was "customized" by PSA for the AK-V. Being a fan of ALG and running their triggers in several AKs, I bought this after I bought the gun. Truthfully, I don't see much of a difference over the stock trigger. Maybe slightly crisper and lighter, but the stock trigger works just fine.

I've had that Burris FastFire3 on there for every round I've fired through the gun. Has not lost zero once, other than having to adjust it slightly to accommodate POI when firing suppressed. Granted, I clean my guns next to never, but have probably cleaned the internals on this thing two or three times. No issues opening/closing the top cover and losing zero.

If you ever find yourself in the Indy area before you grab one of these things, let me know. If I'm free you're welcome to run a couple mags through it to see if you like it.
    Yeah those KP9 clones from KUSA are pretty sweet but spendy. Will have to leave that one on the bucketlist of guns. :)

Ahh-I see what you are talking about in regards to the bracket. Should be easy enough to check if I buy a used one. And it's good to know that PSA will take care of me if it doesn't.

Nice-Yeah I head Dead air makes the best suppressors out there. Maybe one day.

interesting info about that ALG trigger. So you didn't see a huge difference between it and the stock one huh? Good to know.

From what you and the others have said, that red dot losing zero doesn't really seem to be an issue so glad to hear that.

I appreciate the offer to try yours. If I ever plan on making it down to Indy some time I will let you know.
    Thanks

999cs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    NWI
    I think that's all the questions I have on the AKV at this time. I will start looking into getting one. If I wind up doing so I will post up here and let everyone know. I appreciate all the help!
    Thanks

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    That's good to hear. I have always wondered about how well red dots or even regular optics/scopes worked on any kind of AK platform where the pic rail is on that hinged dust cover.

If I wind up getting one of these I will look to add that ALG trigger if it doesn't already have it. How hard is it to install?

I'll check out CNC warrior-thanks for the tip.

Yeah I am really starting to get into the 9mm PCC stuff too-feel like its all the rage now. Maybe I missed the boat. LOL
    Trigger wasn't that had to install. Just watch the spring. It can hurt pretty good if it gets away from you. What I have tried to do with my PCC stuff is considate mags. I have 9 different PCCs and use 3 different mags for the group

999cs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    NWI
    Trigger wasn't that had to install. Just watch the spring. It can hurt pretty good if it gets away from you. What I have tried to do with my PCC stuff is considate mags. I have 9 different PCCs and use 3 different mags for the group
    Will do-thanks for the tip. Yeah that is what also is drawing me to the AKV is that it shares mags with others like the scorpion. Wish more companies would do this.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Will do-thanks for the tip. Yeah that is what also is drawing me to the AKV is that it shares mags with others like the scorpion. Wish more companies would do this.
    I run the scorpion, AKV,ARV and should have a lower for my Stribog next week that will run the mags.
    I also have a couple of AR9'S , Extar EP9 and Kriss Vector running on Glock mags.
    Then probably my favorite is the Sig MPX.

999cs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    NWI
    I run the scorpion, AKV,ARV and should have a lower for my Stribog next week that will run the mags.
    I also have a couple of AR9'S , Extar EP9 and Kriss Vector running on Glock mags.
    Then probably my favorite is the Sig MPX.
    Wow-that's a nice collection. You weren't kidding when you said you were a 9mm sub gun junkie. :shoot:

theundeadelvis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    I think the AK-V is a great "pcc." Mine has run without any issues and I like it way more than i liked my Scorpion. Only reason I'm selling mine (in the classifieds fyi) is bc my PTR 9CT gets all the love now.

dtownmj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2016
    Houston
    I think that's all the questions I have on the AKV at this time. I will start looking into getting one. If I wind up doing so I will post up here and let everyone know. I appreciate all the help!
    Thanks

Hi - i am an “ak enthusiast “ and my recommendation is to stay clear of anything psa ak related. The KUSA kp9 can be had around a similar price and is speced true to the vityaz. If you are one of the people who just walk into a gun store and buys without doing price checks online, then you may see a big price difference. But if you are patient and look around, you can get a stoxk kp9 for under 1k and a package for around $1100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom