• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Just started shooting my 458 Socom AR and wondered if anyone reloads this ammo. I am wanting to reload due to high price of this ammo. I will be starting from zero, any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Yep H110 is the way to go. 33.5 grains with a Hornady 325 gr. FTX and a large pistol magnum primer is a deer slaying round. I also run cast gas checked 325s and 300 gr. JHPs. I haven't jumped into a heavier bullet because those 3 work really well. I have been tempted to try some of the 100 gr. aluminum JHPs to see the fireball. In running Hornady dies and they work really well. Redding dies are nice, but for the money I like the Hornady. Let me know if you have any questions. The SOCOM is a pretty easy round to load. Definitely check out the .458SOCOMforum.com.

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    lizton/brownsburg
    if you are looking for a company....check out the site sponsor profire arms and supply
    they are a reloading store. they offer lots of good deals like if you give them your own brass to use.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have a midlength upper, so it's a little fussy. I have found Accurate 1680 to be the powder for me. With some el-cheapo 300 Remington or Hornady hollow points, it's a deer hammer.

Indyfishyak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Lil gun if you can find it is great with a 325 ftx. Also unique wax. Make sure to do the inside of the case mouth when sizing and belling the case mouth... Wipe out after with a qtip. If you don't have a crimp die you can do with sizing die... Just remove recapping pin. Light crimp to close the mouth... 458 chambers seem to be quite tight in tolerances. Have also used 4227 in a pinch. Guys at profire are quite knowledgeable

djsmith1000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    United States
    I've used H110 as well. I think the powder is fine. Used indiana bullet co unchecked cast bullets. But I cleaned the lube off them and applied hi-tek coating. The bullet quality in my opinion is not quite consistent enough. Most were fine, but many had poor quality bases as cast, and I have had a difficult time getting accuracy (5" at 100yds), likely due to that. I've started casting my own, so I'll be switching to those soon enough.

Top Bottom