Dynamite Drop-in
    8c7875ab_harry_doyle.jpeg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Having spent time in the sandbox, these rifles don't have any appeal to me whatsoever. That's a personal preference thing and I wouldn't knock anyone who wanted to buy one.

If these were Colt M4's then yeah, no-brainer to buy one for $450. Just to buy one because they are cheap, that doesn't make any sense to me at all when for another $50 you could get a brand new cheap AR that's not all beat up and will come with all parts working.

PSA has rifle kits for $430 if you really want something cheap.
    Blemished PSA 16'' M4 CMV Chrome-Lined Premium Blem Rifle Kit - Rifle Kits - AR-15

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    That might be a good price for a new one, but it's a crap price for something that looks like it was rode hard and put away wet.

cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I bought one. Came with a carry handle. Semi auto carrier was the only "issue" I had. Has a lot of outer wear but the barrel looks good. It's my new work gun. Don't really care what happens to it

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I bought one. Came with a carry handle. Semi auto carrier was the only "issue" I had. Has a lot of outer wear but the barrel looks good. It's my new work gun. Don't really care what happens to it

So if you don't care what happens to it, do you mind sharing where you work and the location of the gun??? :):

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Color me confused. Were there really contractors or otherwise over there using a semi auto AR? I would assume everything used would have been an auto.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If I didn't have a couple money pits on order, working on one at the moment, and had some other bills paid, I probably would buy one just because I like guns with character. All the pictures I've seen, I love the worn "battle rifle" look. But, it would be hard not to make it more........aesthetically.....pleasing (elongated trigger guard, Magpul furniture, etc.); which in turn would make it into another money pit

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    If I didn't have a couple money pits on order, working on one at the moment, and had some other bills paid, I probably would buy one just because I like guns with character. All the pictures I've seen, I love the worn "battle rifle" look. But, it would be hard not to make it more........aesthetically.....pleasing (elongated trigger guard, Magpul furniture, etc.); which in turn would make it into another money pit

Me too.

If my Form 1 on my 300AAC AR hadn't been approved so quickly, just over a month :), now I have to build the lower up, I would've had one of these. A trunk/truck AR is on my list and one of these would work perfectly.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Looks like a great bargain for a solid AR. I have a commercial model without the chrome lined barrel, and love it. The DPMS .22 conversion is top notch, as well.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Alot of folks will sneer at DPMS, but for what they are, they aren't bad.

Let's look at some things: DPMS uses C158 (didn't always, but do now) bolt heads, 8620 carriers, stakes gas tubes decent (or is easily corrected). These specimens, according to online reviews, have chromed barrels and carriers. That's fine for me and accomplishes about 95% of what I am looking for in an AR,

For the average shooter who isn't going to pour round after round cyclically through the weapon, run cleaning rods the wrong way through the weapon, or rarely clean it, or have the weapon passed from troop to troop, then DPMS is good enough. Just make sure it runs and leave it. Kind of like the XD: Larry Vickers says the XD is what folks shoot rats at the dump with. Works, works well enough, but not ideal. DPMS falls in that category. For a beginner AR to build up later, rebarrel, etc... You could do ALOT worse (Olympic, cough, cough).

4150 CMV steel barrels, chrome lining, and other "milspec" features are great to have for the average shooter, but not required. However, for a military environment, where this weapon will see 20+ years of VERY hard service under horrible conditions, they ARE required.

These contractor DPMS have shown online to be decent enough to shoot, plink, have fun with. Would make a great trunk gun or pass-out rifle for emergencies. Sure, you can get a Palmetto kit for about the same amount, but then you have to get the lower, some kind of rear sight, assemble it, chase after the front take down pin detent you just sent across the room :D, and at the end of the day, you won't have a vial of Iraqi dust on your shelf. :)

ETA: According to DPMS, these are AP-4 carbines, they do have 4150 chrome lined barrels! Just 1:9 twist (which isn't the end of the world...)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom