• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Back when a .22 semi auto was all I had, I carried it as my main gun(duh), but now that I have several weapons to choose from, it rarely comes out of the safe, and when it does, not as my main carry weapon.

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    I carry a Beretta 21A in .22 in a wallet holster as a backup, or as main depending on the situation/attire. It's every bit as reliable as any of my other guns, has never failed to go bang.

Contrary to popular belief, .22 will do damage. It will not stop a crazed meth head in it's tracks, but the typical attacker will definitely have a FML moment.

If ever the need to pull the trigger on the 21A comes about, I plan to do so until all I hear is a clicking sound. If further interaction with the target is necessary, I'll throw it and aim for the temple I guess.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    if i carried a .22, but i wouldnt, it would have to be a revolver. the .22 auto loaders seem to jam too much to be reliable b/c they dont have the recoil to reliably cycle themselves. i dont know anything about the .25s

The only problem I have with my P22 is after a 100 rounds or so of non-jacketed rounds the build up gets so bad the gun jams. Jacked hollow points run like a champ. :dunno:

I still don't use it a defencive weapon.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Carry my HP-22 sometimes in pocket, or on holster recently during our yard sale, it is accurate, and reliable, only FTF I've ever had was with Armscorp cheap .22. Feeds everything else. shot about 50 rds yesterday went bang every time, and the dirt and cans flew!

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Reagan was shot multiple times with a .22, and didn't even realize he'd been shot. If I recall correctly, he thought a secret service guy landed on him when they shoved him into the car, and bruised his ribs or something.

So I personally wouldn't carry a .22.

But ANY gun is better than NO gun.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    I always carry a .22 NAA. But only as a back up to my 9mm. Truth be told, I could have the .22 out just as fast or faster than my 9.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Reagan was shot multiple times with a .22, and didn't even realize he'd been shot. If I recall correctly, he thought a secret service guy landed on him when they shoved him into the car, and bruised his ribs or something.

So I personally wouldn't carry a .22.

But ANY gun is better than NO gun.
    Reagan also came very close to dying.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Reagan also came very close to dying.

True.

But he was #1) in his 70's, #2) shot multiple times, #3) able to continue functioning AFTER being shot multiple times, and 4) didn't even know he was shot.

It's not like he got shot and was immediately incapacitated or anything. In the self-defense paradigm, you want the bad guy out of the right RIGHT NOW. Not maybe dying later from internal bleeding.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I also carry a 21-A, loaded with Stingers, it runs very well. It is ONLY a BUG, and I agree 100% with its better than no gun. Several rounds of well placed (face, throat) .22, will leave someone with their hands doing something besides pointing their gun at you.

If you don't already have a pistol, buy something bigger than a .22 for PD, save the .22 for plinkin.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I used to carry a PT-25 as a backup to my Rossi .357, not a bad backup, better then nothing.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    When I finally talked the significant other into carrying I tried her on a number of guns and found she simply can't handle anything other than a .22. She is delighted with her Walther P22. I have made her to understand that her tactical approach should be to keep shooting until her adversary is either down or gone, and have drilled her on that approach. It carries 10+1 so I'm not losing any sleep.

Judging from the shootings I investigated over the years the .22 is far superior to the .25 for defensive work. It is in no way unusual for the .25 to literally bounce off of a human skull. Against heavy clothing it's pretty well useless.

Top Bottom